Season Kick Off Run - Sunday 28th June 2020 (UPDATED DATE)

Where driving is the aim of the game
Karl V

Season Kick Off Run - Sunday 28th June 2020 (UPDATED DATE)

Post by Karl V » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] - starting a new topic from this thread and updating the Event List.
GraemeW wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:49 pm Sunday 21 June - Breakfast in Brighton
Well near Brighton. Meet at Rykas, then run down toward Brighton. To eat at Fuel coffee house, Golding Barn
https://www.fuel-coffee-house.com

Karl V

Re: Season Kick Off Run - Sunday 21st June

Post by Karl V » Sun May 31, 2020 10:55 pm

So this was initially planned for few weeks away yet, but... Inevitable thunderstorms aside, how are folk feeling about starting to get out and about?

Of course, there will need to be a few new observations on Club Runs, such as:
  • No man hugs - It's not acceptable, even without a Global Pandemic
  • No tail gating - If you're up my chuff and I cough, it's on you, literally (Highway Code #837, subsection 5, paragraph VII)
  • Bring a flask and a colostomy bag - There's a high chance that by the time we find an open petrol garage, the queue to get in will result in at least one leaky-bladder
Sounds enticing doesn't it? Just trying to gauge interest...

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Sun May 31, 2020 10:58 pm

I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am

Interested. Will speak to the missus...
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:54 am

I’m game👍

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:11 am

I'm in.

T

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:55 pm

I’m sorry I can’t join you for this. The original schedules have been thrown out of synch by lockdown, but pick any of the usual destinations. Hopefully from July or shortly thereafter when the previously suggested venues reopen we can try again. Let’s hope there’s no second lockdown

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks all.

So next question I guess is where... I know the 21st June was initially going to be Dorking to Brighton, but it's pretty far South East and is a point-to-point route, meaning we'd all end up by the seaside with nothing open and our mugs spread all across the tabloids as bad examples of responsible lockdown easing.

I've taken a look through routes from previous Breakfast Runs (thanks Graeme!) and found a 2 hour Winchester to Newbury run used for the 2018 season kick off.

I'm thinking:
  • It's a bit more 'South Central' and more (but not quite) circular, hopefully making it more convenient for more people - even if they wanted to join / drop off en-route.
  • We could meet at the Winchester M3 Southbound services 'cos I know that at least motorway services (and their khazis) are open, even if it does mean a coffee from the BP Garage :o while we wait for the off
  • It seems more fitting for a 'kick off' run to hopefully cater for more people who feel a need to get out
All this said, I've not done the route myself, but I trust others have and it's a good 'un? I also don't know where we'll end exactly 'cos the Halfway Inn used last time is currently closed. I'm assuming there is a decent garage somewhere nearby where people can shake down and fill up before heading home?

What do people think? Was there a strong desire for Dorking to Brighton, or are we just wanting to get out?

image.png
image.png (762.05 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:52 am

I could be up for this
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:15 pm

I would love too, it's just a bit too far for me really. It would be more of a supper meet by the time I got there! lol

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Fair enough Simon.

Sounds like there is a posse growing in East Anglia. You should get some East Anglia meets organised and we could do a Zoom call during elevenses.

It's all the rage I hear...

;-)

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 pm

I see Caffeine and Machine is open this weekend
Shame the weather looks poop Saturday, I may see how Sunday clears up......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Oooh how interesting [mention]AlanP[/mention] - thanks for the update.

Seems things are starting to get back to the 'new normal'. Face masks and no man hugs included.

It's also starting to sound like Ariel folk are wanting to get out and about, which is great news as well.

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] put in a lot of effort in creating a suggested diary of events for 2020 before the corona hit the fan. Heartbreaking to see everything cancelled almost overnight, especially as some people had parted money for some of the bigger tours - I.e. Euro 2020.

My spider-senses are telling me that the rest of 2020 is going to be a bit hit and miss as things continue to unfold, but the signs are encouraging!

Do let us know how it goes at Caffeine and Machine Alan, if you end up there.

All good intel - enjoy!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 pm

Quick bump on this...

Anyone in or near Winchester or Newbury on Father's Day that fancies a run out?

As I said just over a week ago, the idea of resurrecting this thread was mainly to test the waters on how people are feeling about getting out and about again.

I did a non-Ariel run yesterday around Goodwood (just turn up - no organising required) and I have to say... the roads are pretty much back to normal. Ramblers, horses and masses of bicyclists being a PITA. At Goodwood, we saw the Lotus club blaze past as well a gaggle of Harleys and a convoy of classic Minis. Goodwood itself wasn't open, by the Triangle car park was:

image.png
image.png (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1757 times
image.png
image.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1757 times

OK, so we had to empty bladders behind a big tree, but nobody got close enough to shake hands, so no harm done???

Again, just trying to gauge interest for the Club to get regular Ariel runs back on the road.

It's trying times people. But I am trying ;-)

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:57 am

I'm in
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol