Hello! & Advice on Eurotrip to Bordeaux next week!

Where driving is the aim of the game
francis

Hello! & Advice on Eurotrip to Bordeaux next week!

Post by francis » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi there guys,

Well first of all I thought I should introduce myself having just bought Rich Cox's orange Atom 2 245. I'd been after one for many years after being taken out by Tom about 5 years ago and after selling the Toyota Supra (UK TT 6spd - bloody great car), it just had to be done!

I collected the car on Friday and (in retrospect, rather bravely) drove back to central London in the dark and with impending rain (which thankfully never materialised!). I had been waiting patiently since, but finally took her out for another burn today which was fantastic! The car certainly gets a LOT of attention in central London.

Anyway I'm off on holiday to Bordeaux next week and I've decided to sod EasyJet flight I booked and drive the Atom! I was wondering if I could ask a few questions re the trip and Atom ownership in general?

1) My route so far is http://g.co/maps/nbjeu - Does anyone have any good suggestions on specific roads to take or places to stop off to make the drive a bit more interesting? :)

2) I'm considering leaving on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning depending on weather, aiming to arrive on Saturday. This means 1 or 2 nights along the way. Any recommendations for hotels/B&Bs with worry free parking arrangements?

3) I'm trying to think of all the things I need to take.... So far I've ordered my Liber-t pass and have taken out European breakdown cover. I plan on wearing my ski gear + leather gloves - should this suffice? I've been advised to take a few replacement bulbs, warning triangle etc, are there any other parts or tools I should pack? Is one of these - http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=175 worth carrying with me? Fire extinguisher?

4) I'm considering borrowing my friend's Contour+ to take some video footage. Any recommendations on the best mounts? Are suction mounts safe on an Atom?

5) Any general driving tips? Rich kindly swapped the wheels for me so it's on A539's at the mo although I have noticed a tendancy to spin. I guess putting the A048s on with uncertain weather would be a bad idea?

6) Is it fine to use a splitter for phone & TomTom on the factory fitted 12V feed?

7) I know this is a stupid question but are there any tricks for getting in to 6th? Didn't manage to reach it in London today but on my very cautious drive back from Oxfordshire I didn't want to have a gearbox disaster! LOL

Finally re general ownership, what is recommended for cleaning? I had a quick once around today with a bit of multisurface polish and soft kitchen towel... any cleaning product recommendations?

Anyway thank you in advance for any advice! Needless to say if anyone fancies joining the currently single Atom convoy, they're more than welcome! (my girlfriend has already wimped out!)

Cheers,
Francis
Last edited by francis on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francis

Re: Hello! & Advice on Eurotrip to Bordeaux next week!

Post by francis » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Oops, posted to the wrong section - would be grateful if you could move it to General. Cheers!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  You will have great fun with Rich's car I know he did!

Some comments below

Cheers

Ben

[quote="francis"]
1) My route so far is http://g.co/maps/nbjeu - Does anyone have any good suggestions on specific roads to take or places to stop off to make the drive a bit more interesting? :)
[/quote]
Hopefully some of our French members can chip in now with some advice

[quote="francis"]

2) I'm considering leaving on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning depending on weather, aiming to arrive on Saturday. This means 1 or 2 nights along the way. Any recommendations for hotels/B&Bs with worry free parking arrangements?
[quote="francis"]
I/various club members have had quite a lot of luck at French hotels found from http://www.guidesdecharme.com/ the French seem to be big fans of the car so will see you right!
[/quote]

3) I'm trying to think of all the things I need to take.... So far I've ordered my Liber-t pass and have taken out European breakdown cover. I plan on wearing my ski gear + leather gloves - should this suffice? I've been advised to take a few replacement bulbs, warning triangle etc, are there any other parts or tools I should pack? Is one of these - http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=175 worth carrying with me? Fire extinguisher?
[quote="francis"]
A Liber-t pass is a very very good idea, also warning triangle and spare bulbs etc
[/quote]

4) I'm considering borrowing my friend's Contour+ to take some video footage. Any recommendations on the best mounts? Are suction mounts safe on an Atom?
[quote="francis"]
I am no expert but would not be confident in suction mounts, then again I really have no experience here
[/quote]

5) Any general driving tips? Rich kindly swapped the wheels for me so it's on A539's at the mo although I have noticed a tendancy to spin. I guess putting the A048s on with uncertain weather would be a bad idea?
[quote="francis"]
just take it easy while you learn the car, especially in the wet!
[/quote]

6) Is it fine to use a splitter for phone & TomTom on the factory fitted 12V feed?
[quote="francis"]
Yes, people have run heated clothing from them which will draw loads more current than that combination
[/quote]

7) I know this is a stupid question but are there any tricks for getting in to 6th? Didn't manage to reach it in London today but on my very cautious drive back from Oxfordshire I didn't want to have a gearbox disaster! LOL
[quote="francis"]
I think it just goes in like a regular 6th gear
[/quote]

Finally re general ownership, what is recommended for cleaning? I had a quick once around today with a bit of multisurface polish and soft kitchen towel... any cleaning product recommendations?
[quote="francis"]
Dunno
[/quote]

Anyway thank you in advance for any advice! Needless to say if anyone fancies joining the currently single Atom convoy, they're more than welcome! (my girlfriend has already wimped out!)

Cheers,
Francis
[/quote]

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:38 am

my old 2 never had a sixth gear..........

that might explain it ?
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 am

I thought that and checked a review of the 'new Atom 3' which said it had the same 6 speed gearbox as the old '2' with a better linkage - I assumed therefore it would have 6 gears ..

Someone will know when the move from 5 to 6 gears cut in ..

Rich ??  :)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
I thought that and checked a review of the 'new Atom 3' which said it had the same 6 speed gearbox as the old '2' with a better linkage - I assumed therefore it would have 6 gears ..

Someone will know when the move from 5 to 6 gears cut in ..

Rich ??  :)
[/quote]
Unless it's a 160 it has six

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 am

she was a 160
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:16 am

about the roads, you choose the motorway, it's the best solution, of course, to reach Marmande area where you'll find nice roads in all directions.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 am

Take a fluorescent vest - French law.

Put 048s back on. 539s are (imho) awful and you will get wheel spin all the time. They couldnt handle the power of my 160 when I had it. I find 048s bearable in the wet and just so much better in any kind of drying weather.

Otherwise welcome, enjoy and get used to the car.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am

NB. Vest must be accessible without getting out of the vehicle... And you'll need your V5 and insurance documents.

Also if the French police want to be picky you'll need a breathalyser kit as well by law from July 1st. (This won't apply to you, but it's for the benefit of everyone else...)

If you can, go to Cap Ferret - my favourite place in all France and one with the most spectacular beach you've ever seen... (and there's a great restaurant there too... http://www.chez-hortense.fr/)

To answer your other questions...

1. On Michelin maps there are roads with green edges to them, these are the more interesting roads... see these online too at http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Cartes?layers=0001&countryMap=1424

2. you don't really need to worry about parking. The Car attracts a lot of attention - and people may even climb in and have their photo taken in it with yuor permission, but I've not had problems parking at French hotels.

3. Given other advice in this thread you're pretty much sorted.

4. Check out the GoPro on Amazon. The outgoing one is about £150 and at that price it's amazing value. You'll be using it quite a bit, so well worth buying one of your own. And you can use it for christenings, weddings and barmitzvahs too... Suction mounts on an Atom are OK but make sure you use a secondary securing mechanism (lanyard etc. just in case it falls off...

5. Take it easy.

6. Don't know but a TomTom fully charged should last an easy day's worth of driving in an Atom.

7. 6th can be at an angle you're not expecting... experiment and find the knack. You should have lots of time to get into 6th, so just take it easy
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

julian

Post by julian » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Francis,

You could also link up with a crowd of us driving down to Monaco for the Grand Prix end of May, 7 Atoms at the moment.

Full details are on here under events.

Regards

Julian

francis

Post by francis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!

I would love to join the Monte Carlo trip but I will be returning on the 13th :( Will definitely check out Cap Ferret and Chez Hortense - the food looks incredible!

I had the day off work today and took the Atom for a blast to Northants. Great weather apart from a bit of drizzle on the way home! I managed to sus out 6th gear, just a bit of pressure to the right, just different compared to the last car I drove... The performance is incredible but I did notice even in the dry the A539's are pretty keen to slip so have been very cautious with throttle around corners.. I managed to achieve 30mpg with my first tank which I thought was pretty decent!

Just a few quick further questions:

1) What is the best way to wipe one's helmet visor when it starts to rain? My leather gloves definitely weren't up to the job!

2) One of my sidelights has already blown. I tried to search but couldn't find the exact answer - what are people's opinions on LED/SMD direct replacement "bulbs"? 

I guess that about covers it for now, looking forward to my next burn!  :vroom:

Cheers,
Francis

Rich Cox

Post by Rich Cox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Francis,

Glad to hear you are out and about enjoying the car, though have to admit it's a strange feeling hearing about your exploits in a car I know so well.

Has the sidelight bulb actually blown or has it just come loose with the vibrations?

Let me know when you want to pick up the other wheels as you'll find they make a big difference.

Take care and take it easy...

Rich

francis

Post by francis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks again, it's a brilliant car and I will look after her well - actually I spent almost an hour cleaning after the rain this evening!! Re the bulb - will have to check, forgot that could be a possibility!

Will email you re the wheels!

Cheers,
Francis

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Francis,

Welcome to the club.

IMHO unless you've actually got dirt on the visor, usually from following a truck, if you've used car wax on the visor turning your head will allow the rain to blow off. If that doesn't work, you can buy rain repellent from Halfords or Amazon. it was originally designed for helicopter screen and works pretty well.