'Sunday Drivers' - A weekend of the best roads in Wales - 7-8th July 2012

Where driving is the aim of the game
Kezzie

Re: 'Sunday Drivers' - A weekend of the best roads in Wales - 7-8th July 2012

Post by Kezzie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 pm

A brief report on the weekend's activities ...

The whole event didn't get off to the best of starts due to runnin glate leaving the house due to the lady of the house turning the alarm off and promptly going back to sleep (FYI I didn't hear the thing so it's not my fault :wize:)
So instead of setting off at 8am we are now running 30 minutes behind schedule and rub it in it's also raining although not heavily.
1st rendeavous is meant to Magor service on the M4 to meet Tom and Mark (Deep Durks) so as we are negotiating the M4 roadworks I get a call from Julian ...
"Tom & Gemma are still in bed in Zummerzet suffering from what is commonly known as the 'squits' [insert your own version of diarreah here]" Julian then proceeds to fill me full of dread for the weekend by mentioning that where he and Steve are staying it is hammering it down >:( F F F F Fabulous! NOT! Julian recommends that we reconsider the route etc and maybe just head to the overnight stop and ditch the planned route due to inclemment weather.
Anyway we decide that I should continue as planned and meet Mark at Magor then head to Pontypool to discuss further with Ben & Russ.
Ben, being the local and honarary welshman, had looked indepth at the local forecast and decyphered a weather window was above us and we should be "OK". Julian & Steve were informed and I expect they thought we must be mad but onwards into the breach we set off.
Well Ben did us proud indeed, the route was superb, taking in some great mountain sections, forest trails and even, possibly, the odd farm track.
Danger could be around every corner be it cyclists, hikers, sheep or the occasional platton of yomping squadies. We past many a perplexed local, grinning child or gleeful Gurka as we zoomed on by them.
Roads like "The Devil's Staircase" provided some stunning scenery and awesome driving but unfortunately we couldn't outwit the local 'Stig' and his Nissan pick-up ...
4 Atoms chasing him down a fabulous winding undulating valley road while he is negotiating the pass one handed whilst capturing us on his camera phone and slowing down so we remain in his shot. We highly recommend this driving god for a medal!
The day continued with more of the same with some superb stop overs for refreshments that Ben had organised in advance which included tea & cake at a lovely forest cafe, beer & sarnies at a local pub and a lovely evening meal.
Julian & Steve had decided to skip Saturday's adventure but did meet us at the pub in Llangeneth for the evening meal.
Overnight accommodation was excellent, our hosts at Bremmel Cottages were friendly, warm and welcoming.

I'll continue the write up in a while but in the meant time here are a few pictures
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4139137557712.2175281.1261835835&type=1&l=60637f885c

julian

Post by julian » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Just to echo Marks comments, a really good weekend. Thanks to Ben for organising this one, never easy. Steve and myself joined the group for the evening on the Saturday. The weather in Cardiff on the Saturday morning, early afternoon was dreadful so we waited for a break and set off for Llangennith mid afternoon, a great evening and Sunday drive back through the Beacons.

Good to meet everyone and see you all again soon.

Regards

Julian

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am

Great set of pics, enjoyed those...some very narrow roads and even saw some blue sky!!

Cheers Wattie

julian

Post by julian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 am

Has anyone heard from Tom, is he over Saturdays bout of weatheritis? Steve and I got it mildly but shook it off by the afternoon. Didn't feel as bad about Saturday knowing that our leader was under the duvet at 9am in Somerset.  ;)

Julian

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 am

Can't explain how gutted I am to have missed this one  :'(

Got home from work Friday night, Gemma was in bed ill!  Managed to draft my mate Nick in as a last minute replacement, went to his place, fitted intercom to his helmet, threw him a set of waterproofs and arranged a 6.30am meet.  Started feeling queasy!  ::)  Got home, early night - then it all kicked off about 10pm - Finley was sick multiple times, then I started, with Gemma ill in the middle of it all too!  Up all night  :doh:

At 6.30am decided it wasn't safe to move further than 5 metres from the bathroom so consigned myself to barracks all day Saturday!

On the plus side I can recommend it as a weight loss plan - i've shifted 4 pounds this weekend  ::)

Hopefully Ben will be up for doing this again next year so we can get a bigger team together, this really looked like a fantastic meet  :tu:

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 am

[quote="julian"]
Has anyone heard from Tom, is he over Saturdays bout of weatheritis? Steve and I got it mildly but shook it off by the afternoon. Didn't feel as bad about Saturday knowing that our leader was under the duvet at 9am in Somerset.  ;)

Julian
[/quote]

Posts overlapped - how very dare you Julian  ;D

If only mate - I was itching to go.  As I said, not made of paper so a bit of rain doesn't scare me - what's yours and Steves excuse  ;)

julian

Post by julian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

Tomo,

I don't think Steve and I have to come up with any excuses, we went, albeit a different route! Like I said felt a lot better knowing you were tucked up, nice and warm. Did the dog eat your homework as well!!

:roflp:

Julian

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

[quote="julian"]
Tomo,

I don't think Steve and I have to come up with any excuses, we went, albeit a different route! Like I said felt a lot better knowing you were tucked up, nice and warm. Did the dog eat your homework as well!!

:roflp:

Julian
[/quote]

A different route and about 8 hours late by the sound of it  ;D  I could have sworn the event was about driving not rocking up to the boozer in the evening for steak and chips  :laugh:

Must have been nice sat in the caravan all morning drinking tea waiting for the weather to subside  :D  ;)

And it wasn't the dog actually Miss my Mum spilt a cup of tea over it ;D

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Absolutely agree with everyone that this was a great weekend, how we managed to avoid all the rain with the amber weather warnings out in force across Wales was quite something!

Thanks again Ben for organising it, great roads, weather and food! Thats for  "Atoms vs Welsh Stig's in a truck" derby, I will never forget that... I finally managed to read your four page guide on what to watch out for, very thorough and got the message that sheep are not to be messed with...

My Photos are on here again,

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/russtyjames/South%20Wales%20Weekend%20AAOC/

The Sun was out,
[img width=800 height=600]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 070412.jpg[/img]

Only a few puddles,
[img width=800 height=570]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 070360.jpg[/img]

Atoms vs Welsh Stig's in a truck
[img width=800 height=600]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 070420.jpg[/img]

Thanks Ben!
[img width=800 height=535]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... C_1129.jpg[/img]

The Sea...
[img width=800 height=535]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 1140-1.jpg[/img]

A well earned rest stop 180 miles later!

[img width=800 height=535]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 1148-1.jpg[/img]

Nice to meet everyone again, looking forward to next year!

Russ

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 pm

What a great set of photos!  Well jealous! 

I really wanted to go to this as it was on my doorstep (Bristol) - such a shame that it clashed with Silverstone, Wimbledon and RIAT...and the weather forecast!

If we have a really special molecule, will it be a higgs boson?
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:53 am

[quote="Sir Nick"]
What a great set of photos!  Well jealous! 

I really wanted to go to this as it was on my doorstep (Bristol) - such a shame that it clashed with Silverstone, Wimbledon and RIAT...and the weather forecast!

If we have a really special molecule, will it be a higgs boson?
[/quote]

Well as the Higgs gives mass to Atoms, I think we are the metaphorical Higgs.

Ben Daniel

Post by Ben Daniel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 pm

After 4 years of Atom ownership, here is my first post!

Many thanks for all the generous comments on the weekend.  My first attempt at organising one of these (or anything like it), I was a bit worried people might not like the route or something might go awry in a big way.

Very much enjoyed it all, especially the great company.  Very pleased to do it all again next year if people are keen.
Excuse to spend some time looking for new roads. 

Watch out for those killer sheep!

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:24 pm

[quote="benupatree"]
After 4 years of Atom ownership, here is my first post!

Many thanks for all the generous comments on the weekend.  My first attempt at organising one of these (or anything like it), I was a bit worried people might not like the route or something might go awry in a big way.

Very much enjoyed it all, especially the great company.  Very pleased to do it all again next year if people are keen.
Excuse to spend some time looking for new roads. 

Watch out for those killer sheep!
[/quote]
Ben,
On behalf of the people who turned up (and probably those who didn't or couldn't join us) I would like to thank you for a great weekend, superb route, excellent stop offs and great hospitallity too.
Any chance that we do this again in the summer next time? ;D
Adrian

p.s. I've checked out Pistonheads for second hand Nissan pickups but can't seem to find one

Ben Daniel

Post by Ben Daniel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 am

Next year sounds great, what do you think about trying to arrange it to coincide with a public track day at Pembrey?

deepdurks

Post by deepdurks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:28 pm

At last here is a clip, apologies for the wind noise and wobblyness, just enjoy the views.

A faster clip to follow

Mark

Ariel Atoms in Wales July 12
3.5 300, MX5 and 16,000 tons of nuclear deterrent