Hello! & Advice on Eurotrip to Bordeaux next week!

Where driving is the aim of the game
Bruce Fielding

Re: Hello! & Advice on Eurotrip to Bordeaux next week!

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 01, 2012 7:58 am

If you're going to Hortense, you need to book - not sure about this time of year - she might not even be open...

As for rain, these work a treat for me...
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-veewipe-squeegee.html

I think you can buy them from bike shops...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 am

[quote="PaulP"]

IMHO unless you've actually got dirt on the visor, usually from following a truck, if you've used car wax on the visor turning your head will allow the rain to blow off.
[/quote]

Noooooo!

You can't wax a visor! a) it makes driving in the sun difficult as there will be flaring on any but the completely unflawed surface, and b) it can degrade the integrity of the plastic

Even Rain-X is nasty.

There's stuff that looks like lipstick that works but not that well... But as was said, turning your head to the side is often the best bet.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 am

Its as Paul says - its just like on motorbikes - get your head in the airflow and turn head sideways and water will run off. Drizzle is the worst though !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 am

Damn... you got me searching for wipers and I came across these.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-touch-screen-elkskin-ropers.html

Back, back, back in my wallet you renegade rectangle of plastic!

francis

Post by francis » Tue May 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

Well I made it and am now chilling in a beautiful chateau in Couthures-sur-Garonne!

It was quite a trip down and with uncertain weather it was a bit of a gamble, but for the few days of sun I've already had it's been well worth it!!

I ended up taking the Portsmouth - Le Havre overnight ferry. It happened to be the same ferry as the "Scumrun" were taking on their 3k miles in 3 days charity trip. Plenty of interesting cars and outfits and they certainly appreciated the Atom. The crossing was surprisingly comfortable despite the heavy drinking going on in the background!!

From Le Havre I drove to Le Mans but the weather took a turn for the worse. I have never valued covered parking so much!! I soon realised that I'd be better off travelling at some speed to avoid the rain rather than be stuck in traffic trying to find the circuit so decided to press on and hit the autoroute.

The rain was pretty heavy at times and I took it very easily, sometimes 40-50mph where there were patches of standing water. I must admit despite having the A048s I managed to avoid having any hairy moments, I guess it's all about avoiding the temptation to put the right foot down!

The weather eventually cleared and by the time I reached La Rochelle it was blazing sun! I stayed at a fantastic hotel in town called the "Comfort Hotel Francois 1er" with a gated parking area all for 70eur. After a well needed refresh I headed out for a burn. Quite by accident I ended up crossing the 8.50eur toll bridge to Ile de Re - the best wrong turn of my life! Fantastic roads, beautiful scenery, picturesque villages... could not have been better! Definitely recommend this place for anyone nearby, I'll probably call by on my way back!

From there I took the motorways down to Bordeaux and had a great drive to Saint Emilion yesterday.

A few things I have learnt about the Atom:

1) People love it, I've had all sorts taking photos, people coming up and asking about the car, Ambulances doing 150kmph drive-bys to get some video footage (!)

2) Northface ski gear is not waterproof!

3) If you reach a muddy road and there is an alternative just turn back, cleaning up afterwards is a nightmare!

4) 70-90mph is a relatively comfortable cruising speed, anything faster and the wind gets a bit too much after a while!

Anyway here are some photos of the trip so far!

Packing light

Rain! (taken with GoPro not mobile phone!!)

Ile de Re

Ile de Re II

Je suis arrive et le temps de nettoyage

Cheers,
Francis
Last edited by francis on Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Cox

Post by Rich Cox » Tue May 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Well done Francis, good to hear of your adventures. I'm going to have to stop coming on the forum now as its a bit like finding out what your old girlfriend is upto with her new boyfriend. Take care of her and enjoy the dry weather!

Rich

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue May 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Great to see you enjoying the car. Have fun and keep us updated !!

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for the photos, Francis. Really getting me in the mood for the club trip to Monaco in two weeks. I cannot bloody wait to hit rural French roads.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

tim_bailey125

Post by tim_bailey125 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know that I have bought this Atom of Francis after being without one for the last 3 years, as he had to move away with work.  Ironically, the same thing has now happened to me, but as I will be in Italy I have decided to keep up this car's Eurotrip tradition and take it with me!

My planned route is in a link below.  Any advice, particularly from Switzerland onwards (route and accommodation) would be appreciated.  I am staying with friends in the Netherlands and Germany, hence the odd choice of route!

I am very much looking forward to being an Atom owner again and getting involved on this forum.

Tim

The Route:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202989324698767759743.0004c6acce6d667909731