Le Mans 2008

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.
Trigger

Le Mans 2008

Post by Trigger » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:45 am

Just wondered if anybody had thought any more about a more organised trip to Le Mans for 2008 ?
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Le Mans 2008

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:07 pm

I've been thinking of attending this event.. ;D http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Ben Long

Post by Ben Long » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:44 pm

As usual, I'll be going to Le Mans.  First year in an Atom though, but will probably stay with the Lotus 7 Club (C*terhams).  It's a little expensive, but all the facilities are there, including our own private showers  ;D

Happy to talk about a joint blat down.  I'll be booking the ferry soon, so would welcome anybody else joining.  Last year there were 8 of us in convoy, but mainly C8terham's.

Cheers,
Ben
07785 100 100

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Now my new Atom wont be ready in time, I am going to do a Ring trip in August instead I think. I may change my mind last minute though...

hollypop

Post by hollypop » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Myself, Andy and 10 others will be doing the following:

Out Tuesday 10th June Dover - Dunkerque
1 night in a hotel in Alencon
Arriving at Beausejour camp site on the Wednesday
Monday 16th June Dunkerque to Dover

This year we will be more prepared if the weather turns! Like no Atom for a start!

Ben Long

Post by Ben Long » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Booo, no Atom.  Was going to say we should meet up for a blat, but if you're Atomless then it probably makes no sense?

I'm heading down on Wednesday AM or Thurday AM?? 

hollypop

Post by hollypop » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Mulsanne on the Friday.......good blat along there whatever you're in!

M coop

Post by M coop » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 am

Thinking about heading down to that race...atom will be completed by then, definitely have to keep an eye on this thread.... :tu:

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:48 am

[quote="M coop"]
Thinking about heading down to that race...
[/quote]

I'd urge anyone considering going to le Mans 24hr race to JUST DO IT.  The whole weekend is just a fantastic occasion, and I would recommend it to anyone as a totally unique motor racing experience.  Even the trip there and back is normally pretty memorable - ferries full of classic cars and modern exotics etc.  There are often even people lining the streets just to watch and wave at the passing Brit army - anything as "distinctive" as an Atom would get a huge positive reaction.

I've been 3 times - twice with the Lotus 7 Club including their first ever trip over, and once (my first time) with a mate in his Hillman Imp - not a comfortable place to sleep I can tell you!

The best racing memory I have is of JJ Lehto's fabulous winning performance in '95 - lapping over 10s faster than anyone else, in the rain... at night!  Just incredible.

Anyway I won't get all nostalgic.  Take it from me, this is a "must do" for any motoring fan, and one that you certainly won't regret.  Meanwhile, I'll have to make do with listening to the English commentary from Radio Le Mans on the 'net  :(

Cheers,
A

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 am

AndyT,

When did you last go? My good Le Mans trips were watching Jaguar and Mercedes racing in the 90's and it was a great weekend to be sure. After a while I found the football fans started to take over and it became a bit messy. I went last year and was shocked to find no funfair, no 'exotic' tents, 1/2 the number of bars, basically nothing past the Dunlop bridge and a seeming strong attempt to clear out the drunken Brits and move it all much further upmarket, commendable to an extent, but, except for the racing, it had become a bit dull. More Rolex and Cartier shopping, less hedonistic indulgence. Worst of all the vast wall of grilled chickens opposite the old champagne tent has gone!!!

None of this would have been a particular problem except that it was my Brother's stag do and some of his constabulary mates were expecting something different.

At the queue for the ferry at the end I spoke to someone in an Atom who was in a group with an Exige S and others; I had recently paid my deposit and was keen to talk to an owner, but whoever you were you came across as quite unfriendly. I expect you deal with a lot of people asking stupid questions.

AP
Last edited by AlanP on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

I went last year for the first time. You quickly realise there is an element of hooligans and idiots, and then a bigger majority of true petrolheads. At times I did think 'what am i doing here ?', but i was with a great group (Andy, Holly etc thanks again) and we had a blast on Friday.

I couldnt believe the interest the Atom got - amazing amount of photos etc. The best thing was people in Lambos and Ferraris coming over, waving etc which just would happen in many other cars. I was the talk of the ferry on the way out !

I am surprised any Atom owner was a bit off though - I make sure i answer all the questions and am friendly - thats what Atom ownership is about alot of the time.

I will definitely be back - I hope this year but that depends if the new one delivers on time - otherwise it may be that i just sold the existing one and havent picked up the new one.....

I recommend anybody with an Atom to go - its great.

skilly

Post by skilly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:10 pm

[quote="AlanP"]
AndyT,

When did you last go? My good Le Mans trips were watching Jaguar and Mercedes racing in the 90's and it was a great weekend to be sure. After a while I found the football fans started to take over and it became a bit messy. I went last year and was shocked to find no funfair, no 'exotic' tents, 1/2 the number of bars, basically nothing past the Dunlop bridge and a seeming strong attempt to clear out the drunken Brits and move it all much further upmarket, commendable to an extent, but, except for the racing, it had become a bit dull. More Rolex and Cartier shopping, less hedonistic indulgence. Worst of all the vast wall of grilled chickens opposite the old champagne tent has gone!!!

None of this would have been a particular problem except that it was my Brother's stag do and some of his constabulary mates were expecting something different.

At the queue for the ferry at the end I spoke to someone in an Atom who was in a group with an Exige S and others; I had recently paid my deposit and was keen to talk to an owner, but whoever you were you came across as quite unfriendly. I expect you deal with a lot of people asking stupid questions.

AP

[/quote]

Can't have been me - I was on my own, but I was in the Supercar queue !

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:06 am

[quote="AlanP"]
AndyT,

When did you last go? My good Le Mans trips were watching Jaguar and Mercedes racing in the 90's and it was a great weekend to be sure. ... AP

[/quote]

Hi Yes it was a while ago - last time was '97.  Haven't been since as have relocated to NZ.  It's a shame to think that it has changed as much as you said.  I used to think that  the funfair aspects were part of the experience - certainly taking a ride on a big wheel less than 200m from where the racers were putting their lives on the line for hour after hour was a bit surreal and uniquely le Mans.

Cheers,
A

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:11 pm

And doing your first bungee jump off a crane run by pissed Frenchmen!

AP
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 pm

I could be tempted  ;D