Anglesey 13th and 14th 2022 Review

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.
markwetherall

Anglesey 13th and 14th 2022 Review

Post by markwetherall » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:37 pm

Anglesey 13th & 14th June 2022 Review

I thought I would post this just so everyone gets an idea of the event we just had and how much fun it was. Last year a few of us from Jersey and a club called the Old Farts Racing did the Javelin Track day on 14th June at Anglesey, as expected it was a nightmare with traffic and boy racers. Seemed to me like I had a target on my back every time I went out so they could post on their Facebook, ‘look I overtook an atom on track’. I decided to ask Javelin if we could have a private event for us and invite Ariel Club owners to have a track day the way I like to do a track day.

It was priced up with Javelin and dates arranged (also planned for those dates to make sure my son was on track on his 21st Birthday). I managed to sell the 45 places (just) but unfortunately had 4 cancellations. So just 41 cars in the end made up of Old Farts Racing Club and Ariel Owners.

Key thing for me was GENTLEMANLY driving standards, which means getting out of people’s way, not harassing people to get past by hanging off their bumper and having real fun chatting to everyone and generally having fun in a safe environment.

Around 17 cars including 4 Atoms met up in South Wales to drive up through the centre of Wales. Stopped off for a nice Sunday lunch and drove the rest of the way up with coffee stops at various points. Thankfully the weather was perfect for us but must have scared the life out of some of the Sunday drivers as we shot past them one after another. Huge fun! 12 Hours for me to drive up from Poole to Anglesey with several stops and of course a detour to the Evo Triangle just off the A5.

Day 1 on Track.
Day 1 started on the International Circuit. Most people took it nice and easy with only one spinner during the entire day (Stuart on his first track day in his Atom decided to have a little spin), no harm done apart from the shame of being told he was the only person to have spun on the whole day. At least he was trying to push the car! The afternoon we switched to the coastal circuit which some people liked, whilst others were not so keen. Everyone was starting to get the ethos of the trip, so we had no yellow flag and certainly no red flags. The track was never more than half full at any time and no waiting to get on track. Everyone felt comfortable on circuit even if it was their first time out. The slower drivers moved out of everyone’s way where needed allowing the quick drivers to really get to grips with their cars. I had a chat with the marshals and they told me they gave up with the blue flags as some people were following and others just got out of their way anyway, so nothing for them to do.

The evening was spent in Beaumaris for a group meal where just over 40 of us had a wonderful meal and a proper catch up. Hardly any booze was consumed apart from a few of the Old Farts who were mainly passengers and some of the wives put away a few bottles.

Day 2

More of the same. The marshal came up to me at 9:05 and asked why there was only one car on track. We all know that at 9:05 the track is full with a queue of cars waiting to get out.

Once again, no red flags, no waiting and definitely a lot more fun. As the track was so safe there was a fair amount of key swapping going on. I had 6 people drive my Atom, but I managed to drive an Atom with sequential and wings (which has now cost me a lot of money as I have ordered them). Massive thanks to the Nomad owner, first time I have ever driven one and absolutely hysterical on track. Unfortunately after letting my son drive, he then decided to show off to my son and went out to drift around every corner with my son in the passenger seat. After the second spin in 2 laps, he was banned from the circuit for 15 minutes. Certainly cannot blame him for trying and what a great sport!

To sum up, having the right people with the right cars proved to be a perfect combination. We had all types of cars including a 1952 Jaguar XK120 with triple weber carbs which sounded incredible, right up to McLarens 720s and 600Lt as well as 10 Atoms and a Nomad. All participants had completely different skill levels with several first timers on track, which made for an incredible few days. New friends have been made, new Atom on order (which has gone up in price!) and hopefully good memories have also been made. Everyone who was there behaved as I hoped they would

As a first event I have done it could not have gone any better. Next year is being planned already and will hopefully be even better than this year. I am also hoping to arrange a French Trip and track days at Fontenay Le Comte, with evening event at La Rochelle.

My plan will be 15 Ariel Owners, 15 Old Farts, 10 Guests (i.e. friends of people attending with their cars) and 5 others. If we have too many Ariels, we will lose the atmosphere we enjoyed so much and it will end up being more of a race day. Also a lot of the old Farts were equally as happy chatting with everyone rather than being on track, allowing more time for the Atoms to bring down their times or in my case, move out of their way.

For all the people that came, many thanks for a brilliant time and please let me know what you would like to change. I know Matt would like a bed rather than a tent and a lesson on how to attach his GoPro to the Atom after it fell off!

Please let me know if you want to be on the list. Dates will be published as soon as the circuit confirm the 2 days in the next few weeks hopefully

markwetherall

Re: Anglesey 13th and 14th 2022 Review

Post by markwetherall » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:43 pm

anglesey.jpg
anglesey.jpg (894.12 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:46 pm

pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2576 times

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:47 pm

pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2576 times

markwetherall

pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2576 times

markwetherall

pic4.jpg
pic4.jpg (926.69 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Hi Mark, it sounds like a great few days. My Atom is due to arrive this Autumn, I'd be keen to join next year

Phil

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:36 am

I'd be up for this. No idea what car I'll be in (it won't be an Ariel, though). Either way, ace.

Cheers,
Hedge

sdkellner

Post by sdkellner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am

It was a brilliant couple of days on a superb track in perfect weather; thoroughly enjoyed it.

Many thanks again Mark.

Stu

pdavery

Post by pdavery » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:44 pm

Thanks Mark,
A great couple of days! My first track day in a car - or 3 different cars in this case! I thought I might be a bit out of place in the Nomad , but no at all , everyone was very welcoming and interested in the car, and it wasn’t too far off the pace either. I can’t claim to be the person who attempted to go around every corner sideways as that was my friend who came along with a GT3, but can verify the Nomad is a lot of fun on a track.

It really was a great couple of days with a great bunch of people. Thanks for organising everything.

I would very much like to do it again next year. Please put me on the list.

Phil.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:49 am

The Nomad was enormous fun, thanks for letting me drive it. I can completely see why people buy them now, fast and entertaining. Really happy you brought it along and look forward to next year, hopefully you will still have the Nomad or are you tempted now to get an Atom now?

pdavery

Post by pdavery » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:06 pm

I must admit the Atom was very impressive on the track. It was clear in the first 30 seconds that it had the potential to go around the circuit quite a lot faster than the Nomad. No surprises there! Maybe I could get some sticky tires to Narrow the gap, but that would change the character. The bottom liner is they are both very good at what they were intended for. You almost need one of each!

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:12 pm

Yes, you need both. Get rid of the Beetle and get an Atom