South East Breakfast Meet - Sunday 19 July - CANCELLED

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.
GraemeW

South East Breakfast Meet - Sunday 19 July - CANCELLED

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Thought I'd get some provisional meets in the diary for the rest of the year, picking up some of the ideas planned for earlier this year. All dependent on venues being open after lockdown.

Updates closer to the time

Karl V

Re: South East Breakfast Meet - Sunday 19 July

Post by Karl V » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 pm

Ooohhh... A Brighton run! You have my interest Sir...

Out of curiosity, does 'R rate' refer to an Atom 4 'R' ???

If so, can we get it higher please?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:16 am

Update on the proposal for this meet....

Got a reply from fuel coffee house, and they said that although they’d love to see a bunch of atoms turn up, they can’t at the moment as they’ve had to close on Sunday’s due tenancy agreement, and secondly it’s still against government guidelines for venues to accommodate car meets (??) They looking for a bigger new venue ( I suspect this will become like a caffeine and machine of the south.)

So for the 19 July the guidelines for meets may change and we could meet on the Saturday instead.

Let’s wait and see

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 am

Hey Graeme,

I wonder whether Goodwood will be open by then?

Could always go there for brekkie if it is.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:34 am

Sven it isn’t at the mo, but they may open in July. There’s an event at the circuit that day so probably quite busy.

Will have a look. There’s plenty of options. Don’t really want to go into centre of Brighton but maybe a run along the best bits of the A272 and surrounding roads

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am

I know this isn't an Ariel meet, but on the 12th July (week before this), I'm doing a breakfast meet ending at Cowdary Arms near Crawley. The pub is opening especially for the car park meet (starting at 9am), serving coffee and sausage baps. They're expecting a few Fezzzas and McLarens and of course a Nomad ;-)

So a bit like RYKAS, but with cars not bikes. Finding places that are open for a post run cuppa is tough at the moment - we ended today's run just sat in a layby ::)

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure they'd love to squeeze in a few Atoms too...

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Karl please create a separate topic, otherwise this confuses things

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:00 pm

It was in case you wanted to consider moving the 19th to the 12th (if we are struggling to find somewhere for Breakfast).

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:37 pm

I'd be up for the 12th and the 19th
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

Provisional details for this meet.

It has become traditional for these meets to be in 2 parts;

1. You drive your favourite roads early while they're empty to the nominated breakfast location
2. Optional onward drive together on some selected route. The majority usually do this.

The original plan for this day was to meet at Rykas for breakfast then drive to a petrolhead type cafe near Brighton. Not into Brighton. Then home. The cafe is closed and will remain so for most of 2020.

So an alternative. In the SE we are a bit limited for clear good roads because of traffic density. My usual favourite though is the South Downs, if you go early or at dinner time on weekends.

So I think we should meet at the A3 Services in Lower Eashing near Godalming, a quick coffee and bacon bap, then off into the south downs, via A286 to Midhurst, East along A272 (the best bits) to Petworth, then down A285 to Goodwood. Don't propose stopping at Goodwood, as there is a cycling meet (WTF ??) at the circuit that day, but we could perhaps grab a coffee at the circuit cafe if its not too busy (they will be open, Ive checked). Following that, a drive up the fantastic B2141 (one of my favourites in the south) towards Petersfield, then towards Alton and another great road the A339 to Basingstoke (which if you get it empty is just sublime. Im there every sunday evening around 7pm). I know most of these roads above, but can't remember all, so will probably do a recce to check. Total distance 75 miles, 1 hour 45. Or ten minutes for the Atom 4s.

We can then have brunch or lunch near Basingstoke (id never recommend in Basingstoke :-) ) I have two options which have good food, big gardens to eat outside, and plenty of secure parking for Ariels.

We could of course start the event by having a slap up leisurely breakfast in (near) the Basingstoke location instead, then drive the route the other way, but then the roads will be filling up. So i think we end in Basingstoke.

Can I have an idea of provisional numbers so I can confirm with venue? I might book us a some tables. As usual the proviso is good weather.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 am

Bump...

On reflection, Instead of above, I think we should stick to convention. Meet around 0800 for a good breakfast, then those who wish to can join me and others on a drive through the South Downs.

Im looking at a couple of better venues near Guildford, sort of equi distant between the SW London chaps and the Thames Valley lot. Updates in due course.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Bump...again. Surely theres more than just Karl and I interested in this????

2 weeks today. A great early drive on empty (emptier) roads followed by breakfast in the scintillating company of fellow Ariel fanatics.

IanG

Post by IanG » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Count me in 👍
Went to Bracknell today some fun roads bar 🤬cycles

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:43 pm

We went out for a blast today as well along north Norfolk, lots of bikers out.

I would be interested in this if it were more north of London.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 pm

Just to let you know, Box Hill/Rykas cafe has now reopened. Went there today. Was packed with people, cars and motorcycles.