Carfest North at Cholmondeley Castle - 7th-9th September 2012

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.
toms

Re: Carfest North at Cholmondeley Castle - 7th-9th September 2012

Post by toms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 am

Good man Matt  :tu:

Ultimately if it's too dear then just don't go I suppose - personally I think it's a fair price for a weekends entertainment.  Glastonbury costs rather more and I always enjoy that  ;D

Plus it is a car show - and the cars are on show - so sensibly they need to parked in a way that makes them and the surrounding area look good - so in turn can't really be moved.

It's a shame because it's looking like we won't get enough for this.  And as I said above a lot of the feedback I get from members up North is that they get fed up with no club based events being held in that area - here is one signed sealed and delivered but no-one is keen.  I don't mind personally as it's a long way to go but it would be good to get some of the active members up there together and have a laugh.....  I'll probably be going anyway so i'll just be Billy No Mates - I doubt Matt will want to go halves on £420 for a stand of 7 cars with only him and I there ;D

It's going to be tricky to get a good Northern club presence though if:

1.  Everything must be close to home
2.  Everything must cost less than a tenner  ;D

I'm trying my best here.......

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks Tom for all the effort you put in it is much appreciated.
I do hope you can get enough people to attend the North Event.
With me it is more than the money it is principle and something I have fought for for many years. There is mention of music bands that are providing the other entertainment on the weekend, I would bet they all get in for free along with all the roadies involved or perhaps they will have to pay to attend and entertain????
Sorry to be negative its principle.
Good luck Tom

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:49 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
With me it is more than the money it is principle and something I have fought for for many years. There is mention of music bands that are providing the other entertainment on the weekend, I would bet they all get in for free along with all the roadies involved or perhaps they will have to pay to attend and entertain????
Good luck Tom
[/quote]

Exactly.  As far as I can see it is the equivalent of one of those 'holidays' where you get to spend your days repairing dry stone walls, all you have to pay for is your board and lodgings.......

toms

Post by toms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Rocket Man"]
Good luck Tom
[/quote]

Exactly.  As far as I can see it is the equivalent of one of those 'holidays' where you get to spend your days repairing dry stone walls, all you have to pay for is your board and lodgings.......
[/quote]

I suppose I agree in principle but I wouldn't cut my nose off to spite my face as it were.  I'm not in a rock band nor am I a celebrity so I have to pay to get into most things (life just isn't fair)  - but as long as I can enjoy myself I don't really care....

Ben - by the same token then should I not have to pay to get an entry into say the 'Motorsport at the Palace' Crystal Palace Sprint?  Or an entry into the British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch?  Without any cars or bikes at those events there that wouldn't be a lot of fun for the spectators either - but if I want to race then I must pay.  I suppose the question i'm trying to ask is how far do you go with this?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:27 pm

[quote="Tom"]
Ben - by the same token then should I not have to pay to get an entry into say the 'Motorsport at the Palace' Crystal Palace Sprint?  Or an entry into the British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch?  Without any cars or bikes at those events there that wouldn't be a lot of fun for the spectators either - but if I want to race then I must pay.  I suppose the question i'm trying to ask is how far do you go with this?
[/quote]

I think you have taken a few Atoms to a few shows by now.  Therefore you know how much hard work it is.  If the cars are not supervised all the time people will climb all over them knocking bells out of mudguards, wing mirrors, seats etc.

I showed my car at Chris Evan's pub once (to bring a sort of a link into proceedings) it was great fun but very hard work helping people climb in and out all morning.  Not necessarily something I would be keen to do for an entire weekend.

Racers at the higher levels get prize money and start money......

Ben

toms

Post by toms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:33 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Tom"]
[/quote]

I think you have taken a few Atoms to a few shows by now.  Therefore you know how much hard work it is.  If the cars are not supervised all the time people will climb all over them knocking bells out of mudguards, wing mirrors, seats etc.

I showed my car at Chris Evan's pub once (to bring a sort of a link into proceedings) it was great fun but very hard work helping people climb in and out all morning.  Not necessarily something I would be keen to do for an entire weekend.

Ben
[/quote]

OK - but i wasn't talking about higher level.  If I rock up to a British Superbike meeting unless I'm a factory rider it's going to cost me.  And at an even lower level then - what about Motorsport at the Palace?  People would be clambering all over the cars there - do I pay for an entry or not?

julian

Post by julian » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't know why you are bothering to rise to this Tom? The only people moaning aren't interested in going in any event.

Julian

toms

Post by toms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm

[quote="julian"]
I don't know why you are bothering to rise to this Tom? The only people moaning aren't interested in going in any event.

Julian
[/quote]

Don't worry i'm not rising mate - i'm just interested  :tu:  I just wonder how far you take this 'principle'......  No skin off my nose either way.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:05 pm

My view on it – I spent two days in June running kids around Dunsfold, at Bachi's Supercar Event.  It was a very long weekend, but it was a lot of fun.

We raised a stack of money for charity. A couple of other owners were there, too. We didn't pay to get in. We provided our cars, our enthusiasm and a few tanks of gas. Of course there were no bands there, but my point is that we didn't pay to 'demonstrate' our cars. Or to park up.

By comparison, the CarFest has a few bands (none that I particularly want to see, and I go to plenty of gigs every year) and after entry ticket, tent purchase, pitch rental and gas, I'll be paying £300 for the weekend. Where I'll have to watch my car like a hawk-shaped Ben Yeats.

I know which charity event I'd rather do. Nothing personal, guys – it's a big chunk of money for what's on offer.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 pm

[quote="Tom"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Tom"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

OK - but i wasn't talking about higher level.  If I rock up to a British Superbike meeting unless I'm a factory rider it's going to cost me.  And at an even lower level then - what about Motorsport at the Palace?  People would be clambering all over the cars there - do I pay for an entry or not?
[/quote]

Your reason for attending Motorsport at the Palace would chiefly be to drive your car round the circuit, the car show bit being a side event.  You could put an outdoor cover over the car if you did not want to show it.  So it depends if you derive more pleasure from driving your car or helping an endless stream of spectators climb over it. 

If you are running an airshow and you want the Vulcan bomber to turn up (which you do otherwise it will be rubbish) you have to pay them......

Ben

p.s. not trying to talk anyone out of going, people can do what they like.

fb.george

Post by fb.george » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Tom
Regret I shall be dressed as Elvis at a 50th that weekend or would have gone. Seems a good cause and an experience which normally is too far away to go to for us chaps up North.

Hope you get enough to take it up
Keep smiling!!

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Just been havin a good read through the Caterham 7 forum on the carfests N and S. Lots of unrest on the £100 camping fee but there is no mention of an entrance fee on top of that. Have i read something wrong ??? There is mention of the gazebo has to me no more than 3m x 3m and white and tables and chairs have to be stainless or teak ? A bit vague

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:29 am

Copy of post received on Caterham forum

Posted - 30 July 2012 23:34        
report this post
 Just received the following:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
30th July 2012

CAR-FEST Car Clubs North / South 

Dear Club Co-ordinator,

Car-Fest  is the dream of Chris Evans, a perfect family festival encompassing his love for cars, music and food: in fact fun for all the family, to be held at Laverstoke Park on the 24th -  25th August  &  Cholmondeley Castle on the 7th- 9th September 2012.
Full details of the event can be found at www.carfest.org

Although tickets to the public were sold out within minutes of the event going on sale.

The club stand (20 x 5m) 7 Saturday & 7 Sunday (adult) passes for each club.

All the cars need to be on site by 8am to gain access to their club pitch, and would be unable are able to leave till after 6pm.

Once we have received your completed booking form, we will send an e-mail confirmation of your stand location and over the coming weeks containing your car club handbook which will detail all the relevant information you need to exhibit. 

LAYOUT OF CLUB STAND

·         You are required to bring SEVEN of your best club examples to display at Cholmondeley

·         You will be able to set up your club pitch and place cars into position on your club stand from Friday  7thSeptember (timings to follow in the car club handbook)

·         Cars to stand on grass within the Estate

·         Cars will not be able to be move during the event (between 8am & 6 pm each day), once they have been positioned on your club stand between 8am and 6pm each day

·         We have created a standardized layout and look for Car-Fest Car Clubs stands consisting  17 x 5m per club with an area of 3 x 3m at the end of the stand for a gazebo/ marquee no bigger than 3 x 3m in size to put any seating or tables you may require for club members. Total Club area of 20 x 5m per club

Marquees and furniture (teak or chrome) can be ordered through Car-Fest suppliers costs as follows: 
1.       Marquee 3m x 3m £150 plus VAT
2.       Table and four chairs £100 plus VAT

Please let us know by email if you require any of these items as they must be ordered in advance on your behalf, an application form can be made available on request.

·         Gazebos /Marquees larger than 3m x 3m, flags and large branding boards are not permitted. If you wish to display  car information individual boards may be placed inside the car window or in front of each car         

EXHBITOR PASSES

·         As a club you will receive 14 passes (two adults per car) per day. Each pass will also be valid for setup day Friday 7th September

STAYING AT CAR-FEST

·         A list of local accommodation will be made available to you on request. However camping onsite is available to all club stand members – to camp the cost is £100 per tent for up to 4 nights from the Thursday, with no restriction on tent size. Showers, toilets and a catering facility selling food and drink will be available close by.
The Pop-Up Hotel is delighted to be able to offer entrants to CarFest 33% off accommodation with us inside the festival at CarFest north and some very limited availability at CarFest south.  We are delighted to be working with CarFest to provide a special hotel under canvas experience in the middle of both events with private entrance and parking, catering, owners display cars and of course comfortable accommodation with luxury showers and loos.  Please click here to book for CarFest north and quote "entrant/club" in you're booking notes to qualify for your discount, or email us for CarFest south to check availability at enquiries@thepopuphotel.com.   We look forward to welcoming you at CarFest, please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.
 SECURITY
·         Car-Fest will provide security during the event which will start on the Friday through to Monday
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please could those on the list please confirm if they want the marque and chairs etc as I must submit yet another form confirming.

Many thanks,
Andy
White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - Now all shiney and new

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 am

Quite a confusing post,
No mention of entrance cost !!

Cars will not be able to be move during the event (between 8am & 6 pm each day), once they have been positioned on your club stand between 8am and 6pm each day

Do the  cars realy need to stay overnight/camp ??

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:54 am

It's a shame I can't attend. At last a decent northern club event but my mobility isn't up to the task for one day never mind two with camping as well.

Regarding the cost, compare it to the cost of a trackday and then it doesn't look too bad. Display a please do not touch sign if you are not with your car and enjoy the bands and cars at the event.

My two penneth.

Darren