Other brake options for Atom 4

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Charlie

Other brake options for Atom 4

Post by Charlie » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:18 pm

Noticed a couple of people on this forum selling their AP brakes and wondered if there is another system out there that perhaps I have not heard of as I know there were problems with pedal feel for some people with AP’s and I have the standard brakes so was thinking of upgrading?

Charlie

Re: Other brake options for Atom 4

Post by Charlie » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Accidentally posted this thread a few times when page was unresponsive can the moderators please remove the other ones please

8_enj

Post by 8_enj » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi [mention]Charlie[/mention] i suggest you contact roy soons on +31 6 43431825

He is admin on the ariel atom 4 whats app group with 71 members currently and there is plenty of discussion on brakes, upgrades etc.

👍🏻

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:27 pm

8_enj wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:08 pm Hi @Charlie i suggest you contact roy soons on +31 6 43431825

He is admin on the ariel atom 4 whats app group with 71 members currently and there is plenty of discussion on brakes, upgrades etc.

👍🏻
I seen the threads on brakes but there only seems to be one for the atom 4 and do not say what other options were best

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:30 am

There are two people on the Forum currently offering their existing AP kits for sale - reg and Yorkshire, and I'm pretty sure both have posted in the For Sale section. You might like to check them out.

I believe they are both opting to switch to an alternative brake package being offered by Corten-Miller Motorsport based in Lincolnshire, although full details are still not 100% clear, nor pricing. Corten-Miller have previously been heavily involved in successfully sorting out the long pedal issue that some current AP users have found irksome..

cjalpine

Post by cjalpine » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:19 pm

Hi.
Ariel from around early 2022 now have a carbon ceramic brake option (mine was built in Dec 2021 so this option wasn’t available:-( )
People maybe upgrading and selling their old brake kits.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:30 pm

cjalpine wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:19 pm Hi.
Ariel from around early 2022 now have a carbon ceramic brake option (mine was built in Dec 2021 so this option wasn’t available:-( )
People maybe upgrading and selling their old brake kits.
I believe the carbon brakes use the same calipers just different pads and discs if I recall correctly when I mentioned this on the forum last year when I seen it on facebook just found the link here. https://www.midlandbrakes.com/post/arie ... bon-brakes

cjalpine

Post by cjalpine » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:09 pm

Hi Charlie.
That's correct, you don't need to bin your old AP callipers, still just the Carbon Ceramic pads and discs on their own are a tad on the pricey side, around £10k I think.

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:45 pm

A further thought - if you did want to go down the upgrade route from standard to APs your would also need to consider what to do re the handbrake. As I'm sure you're aware, the mechanical handbrake mechanism is built in to the standard rear calipers (as on lots of modern cars), but cars with the AP calipers have a separate, handbrake only, caliper. But I think these are a fairly standard Brembo unit and could be purchased separately, but would need their own bracketry, although Ariel might be able/willing to supply. Alternatively it might be possible to retain the existing standard calipers and simply disconnect the hydraulic line. The AP calipers mount is a different place so I think both could co-exist.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 pm

plip1953 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:45 pm A further thought - if you did want to go down the upgrade route from standard to APs your would also need to consider what to do re the handbrake. As I'm sure you're aware, the mechanical handbrake mechanism is built in to the standard rear calipers (as on lots of modern cars), but cars with the AP calipers have a separate, handbrake only, caliper. But I think these are a fairly standard Brembo unit and could be purchased separately, but would need their own bracketry, although Ariel might be able/willing to supply. Alternatively it might be possible to retain the existing standard calipers and simply disconnect the hydraulic line. The AP calipers mount is a different place so I think both could co-exist.

Thanks was aware of the handbrake issue but the co-exist idea is quite good might look into that also do not think Ariel would have a problem supplying the bracket as they didn’t when I purchased the bracket for the tilton brake bias that I already had thanks