ABS on an Atom

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Charlie

ABS on an Atom

Post by Charlie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:58 pm

Is ABS an option for an Atom 4 or could it be retrofitted easily always thought well judged braking would be better than ABS and it was only really for nasty surprises in inclement weather but just recently watched this video linked it is quite sobering.

Monza

Re: ABS on an Atom

Post by Monza » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 pm

No ABS option at the moment, but if an Atom 4 is made in conformity to new Individual EC approval or small series type approval , it'll need to have an ABS. So i think it'll be an option in the future for UK Atoms.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:32 am

Monza wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 pm No ABS option at the moment, but if an Atom 4 is made in conformity to new Individual EC approval or small series type approval , it'll need to have an ABS. So i think it'll be an option in the future for UK Atoms.
I thought that ship had sailed?

Monza

Post by Monza » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:32 am

Not yet 😂 they work on it (homologation) this year, we'll know at the end of the year. Last "chance".

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 am

It’s already been tested ...

Check this earlier post ..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15696&p=270848
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

alanoo

Post by alanoo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 pm

If you got 8k+ I guess you can have the Bosch Motorsport ABS system fitted

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:05 pm

alanoo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 pm If you got 8k+ I guess you can have the Bosch Motorsport ABS system fitted

Was thinking something like this can be done cheap

alanoo

Post by alanoo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:27 pm

Yep the classic BMW Teves unit, unfortunately it is not really known to cope very well with split size wheel diameters.
Not sure about the circumference difference on the Atom 4

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:38 am

ABS can be a lifesaver for an average driver like me, and, on balance, I would prefer to have it fitted to any car that I might drive. But for a proper circuit driver it can be a bit of a double edged sword. The MX5 featured in the video has a braking system that is designed around ABS being present. So when you disable it (by simply pulling a fuse) you are almost certainly going to find yourself in trouble. Some years ago I got a tame race car driver to drive my Mk3 MX5 on track. It produced some amazing times considering it was almost standard (because they are brilliant cars), and the ABS was largely beneficial. However, there were occasions when it really couldn't cope with a really aggressive track driving style and simply gave up the ghost. Which wasn't especially welcome because it usually resulted in flat spotted tyres!

So on to a second MX5, but this time the abs was completely removed and we installed a form of pedalbox arrangement with twin master cylinders. And we also fitted a proportioning valve in the rear circuit, different front calipers and different pads. Many tack sessions later and we've now arrived at a setup that produces good retardation numbers and a good level of predictability, even in the wet, of impending lockups (but remember we are talking here about quite a lot of development and a very good driver behind the wheel).

Nonetheless, would the driver prefer to have ABS? Yes, definitely, but only if it worked well. And what does "work well" mean? Essentially no lockups, but neither should it be kick in too soon because then you actually see braking effective drop.

How might this be achieved? The Teves system has been mentioned in an earlier post and also the Bosch Motorsport system. But the point is that both of these ABS systems are significantly different to the run of the mill ABS systems. And both cost quite a lot more, especially the Bosch! So we're staying ABS-less!!

On the Atom 4 I would recommend the Bosch ABS at the drop of a hat. And I'm pretty sure it would be relatively simple to fit alongside most of the current hardware. Technically you should change MCs to an ABS compliant version (that can cope with the pulsing), and you'd need twin lines to the rear. Also you'd most likely need different (ie Bosch ABS compatible) wheel speed sensors. Whether it would be possible to retain the OE traction control is another question.

Is it necessary, and could it be justified in cost terms? Arguable!!

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:48 am

in UK , the ABS will certainly become an option on the price-list one day and still be an option, till the UK regulations will ask for it on the Atom and similar models.
In EC, the ABS is already an obligation for every new EC Individual or Small series approval/homologations (as well as 1 airbag !).
Older models imported in EC on older homologation certificate can still sell cars but for a limited period (as Caterham for example).

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 pm

When i specified my Atom 4 i asked Ariel to look at the full Bosch Motorsport ABS as an option on my build. I had it fitted to my Radical RXC Spyder. Ariel have done some work on this and the current wheel speed sensors are compatible. But like everything at Ariel these things take time. Last time i spoke to Tom (before he left) they were waiting for a wiring harness to integrate it into my current build. So hopefully its not far away :drool: :vroom:

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:13 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 pm When i specified my Atom 4 i asked Ariel to look at the full Bosch Motorsport ABS as an option on my build. I had it fitted to my Radical RXC Spyder. Ariel have done some work on this and the current wheel speed sensors are compatible. But like everything at Ariel these things take time. Last time i spoke to Tom (before he left) they were waiting for a wiring harness to integrate it into my current build. So hopefully its not far away :drool: :vroom:
Hi you say the ariel already has speed sensors is this standard on all cars even without launch control?

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm

I'm not sure about that bit as i'm not sure whether Ariel fit extra rear sensors if traction / launch optioned specified. You could tell straight away by looking at car and see if same sensor on front and rear wheels. Front is needed all the time as speed sensor. Hope this helps

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm I'm not sure about that bit as i'm not sure whether Ariel fit extra rear sensors if traction / launch optioned specified. You could tell straight away by looking at car and see if same sensor on front and rear wheels. Front is needed all the time as speed sensor. Hope this helps

I actually can’t see any reluctor rings on front or rear hubs/driveshaft if that’s what you mean by speed sensor?

alanoo

Post by alanoo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:10 am

Speed sensors would most likely be directly in the wheel bearings, so you would only see a VR or hall sensor around.