ABS on an Atom

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Mrlizard

Re: ABS on an Atom

Post by Mrlizard » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:12 am

I have raced (not an atom) with ABS and without and with the Bosch system, in the dry the car just didn't need ABS. On semi or slick tyres once there was some heat the ABS just got in the way. In the wet however it was definitely beneficial.

For me the biggest difference (and its the same with trick TC) is that a normal ABS on say a Volvo will try and straighten the car up and save you when the car is struggling to stop. The Atom is quite good at trail braking and that transition to braking hard in a straight line to starting to turn on the brakes will be lost unless they go with something like the Bosch system which is clever enough to try and slow the car without forcing it to straighten up too much.

We used TC with throttle and steering wheel sensors too so when we got it right in the wet you could just plant the throttle in the wet turn into the first corner at Oulton for example and the car would just balance the power/wheel speed based on steering angle and grip.

Having said all that if they went with a good ABS system that was switchable like the TC i would spec it.