Suspension Clatter (fix?)

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Atlarge

Suspension Clatter (fix?)

Post by Atlarge » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:48 pm

Does the sound of your 'tender spring' clattering about on uneven surfaces drive you crazy too? - if so or you just find it mildly annoying and don't mind very low-fi / Heath Robinson "fixes" you might want to keep reading....

... I found that replacement jam jar lid seals (the red rubber part) are not only a perfect fit but also look fairly inconspicuous and reduce about 95% of the clattering with just a single ring per shock!
  • Simply buy a 6 pack of your finest rubber jar seals
Suspension6pack.jpg
Suspension6pack.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 665 times
  • Cut a ring all the way through in one place, then round off the extra tab
suspensionrings.jpg
suspensionrings.jpg (164.66 KiB) Viewed 665 times
  • Take the weight of the suspension on a jack & insert into the tender spring at the largest spring gap (middle).
Then use a dab of superglue to close the ring ends and eh voila, you should now also be pretty much clatter free!

*disclaimer(s) --
- I've only had mine in place for a couple of drives so I don't know how this will hold up over time.
- I don't know if this will adversely effect the handling
- Suggest removal before getting the car serviced by the factory (to avoid looking like a birk)
- Use at your own risk!!

anx10us

Re: Suspension Clatter (fix?)

Post by anx10us » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:43 am

The clatter is very annoying at low speed, I guess the answer is go faster, however i'd be keen to revisit in a few weeks/months to see of they have held up and/or caused any rebound/geometry issues ?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:56 am

Lots of history on the forum about this idea ..

Here's a bit more relevant reading on the subject when it first popped up ..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14829
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am

I’m not 100% sold on the tender spring setup having come from the non-adjustable standard ones. I don’t find the ride much softer on bad surfaces but do feel like they make my car feel a little unsure sometimes when ‘pressing on’ especially through short tight but uneven corners.

Will see how I get on and update here with a couple of progress pics, unless I stumble into an embarrassingly affordable set of the Ohlins to replace them with! ;)

Cheers.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:06 pm

Ok minor update... I’ve set the adjusters down to 5 at the rear and 2 at the front resulting in a much better overall ride. I think I previously had the rebound? set far too high for my crappy local roads.
I generally like the setup firm, but softer is definitely better for uneven / poor surface public roads. My car is much more compliant now and less skittish at the expense of a little more understeer.

Still pleased with the anti-clatter rubbers, they seem to be holding up nicely so far!

frostynorth

Post by frostynorth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:41 pm

So to clarify: You will only use one rubber ring per corner?
You don’t need one for each loop on each spring… ie 4 packs?…. The early thread had suggested 3 rings per corner?

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:24 pm

I ended up using two per corner - I cut them on one side and glued both together to form a long spiral which I trapped between the bottom 3/4 of the helper spring.

They held up pretty well but if you plan on taking the springs off and don’t cut the rings you’d need a few more probably………..

frostynorth

Post by frostynorth » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:30 pm

Thanks at Large… I’ll experiment :)