JK Composites

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Namastebuzz

Re: JK Composites

Post by Namastebuzz » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Fastlane wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 pm I do love the look of those but can't justify spending nearly £300 per seat...
Just get one for yourself.

Sod the passengers...... 😆

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am

Noob questions alert:
1. aside from stunning aesthetics, does the fact that they are carbon do something in any way, i suppose some firmness? isn't the "padding/cushions" the most important part (for road use)?
2. how are those cushions attached to the seat? I would love to have something like that fitted to my 3.5R, the plastic seats are quite ugly and rough...

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 am

ArBrMD wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am Noob questions alert:
1. aside from stunning aesthetics, does the fact that they are carbon do something in any way, i suppose some firmness? isn't the "padding/cushions" the most important part (for road use)?
They are stiffer and lighter than the standard seat and hold you more tightly, so for track use only work well but..... they mark really easily and are less generous in size for "larger" passengers. Mainly though, they just look the nuts.
ArBrMD wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am 2. how are those cushions attached to the seat? I would love to have something like that fitted to my 3.5R, the plastic seats are quite ugly and rough...
The JK Seat Pads just fix with a heavy duty velcro or similar. I had them on my 3.5 and they were a great addition. I have a set for the 4 but not decided on fitting them yet as the seats are are a big improvement over the 3/3.5.

Cheers,
Stu

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Namastebuzz wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:53 pm
Fastlane wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 pm I do love the look of those but can't justify spending nearly £300 per seat...
Just get one for yourself.

Sod the passengers...... 😆
I couldn't cope with the lack of symmetry and I have already spent far too much on my car despite is sitting in the garage since October...In the end I have ordered a set of narrow pads from Reverie in Technosuede - they are less than half the cost of the Tillett seat pads.
ArBrMD wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am Noob questions alert:
2. how are those cushions attached to the seat? I would love to have something like that fitted to my 3.5R, the plastic seats are quite ugly and rough...
They is really no comparison to the standard Atom bench seat. As Wasp says, the Tilletts don't flex at all, they firmly hold you in place, but they are also very comfortable on long journeys (I am only buying the pads to prevent any further scratches from my shoes when getting in and out of them). They also slide backwards and forwards, which is useful for your passenger and also to be able to put stuff behind them/clean them. However, they are very easy to scratch, rain collects in them (easy to wipe away though) and again as Wasp says, they are quite tight a cross the hips for a "larger" person - although I am hardly slim (89kgs) and I fit in the my Tillett B4's absolutely fine. Once you've been in an Atom with them (and you fit) I don't think you would want anything else...
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

m mcgillivray

Post by m mcgillivray » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:21 pm

I had a bike seat gel filled by this company . http://www.cemoore.co.uk/.
Quick turnaround and very friendly on the phone. They removed the foam and replaced it with gel and replaced the existing cover .
First class job, just looked like original.
Don’t know if this is any help .
Certainly worth a look on the website or a phone call.
Can’t wait for the end of lockdown to get back on the road again. Keep safe.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:41 pm

IanG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:10 pm I have a set of carbon seats with seat pads on from Tillett
they Can also do some fancy stitching
After receiving a non-matching set of seat cushions today from Reverie (which to be fair, they have agreed to refund in full including return postage) that also didn't really fit my Tilletts, I gave in to temptation (your picture did not help >:D ) and have ordered 2 sets of Tillett seat pads via Demon Tweeks for £587.42! And that's just the plain black ones without any fancy stitching!

It has been a very expensive lockdown... :-\
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 pm

My seat pads arrived today from J K Composites. How do I fit them, there is no Velcro or double sided tape provided.

Thanks
Andrew

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 am

apr1962 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 pm My seat pads arrived today from J K Composites. How do I fit them, there is no Velcro or double sided tape provided.

Thanks
Andrew
I have always used a healthy amount of heavy duty velcro and this works well. I've never removed the cushions once installed though, so cant say if it would leave a mark on the seat.

Cheers,
Stu

Sommi

Post by Sommi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:59 am

[mention]apr1962[/mention] Hi Andrew. Have you got your Atom yet?
Are the JK pads of good quality?

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Pics please :D :D :D

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:56 pm

Sommi,

Car passed IVA yesterday, but they are awaiting the delivery of a few parts, so a week or two still to go.

Pads look good quality, £195 inc postage for the pair.

Communication wasn’t great but I persevered and got there in the end.

Is you PPF finished, did you get the lacquer sorted. I’ve asked Ariel not to fit the PPF. Did you PPF over your stick on front numberplate or fit it after the PPF was applied.

Thanks
Andrew

Sommi

Post by Sommi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

What's two weeks when we have waited 30 months, eh?

I'll try and call JK again. I have emailed, filled their website form and called all given numbers. It's a known issue with these guys.

PPF now finished. Car is back. Laquer could not be restored. So it smoothed out and PPF applied. It's quite shiny and not visible anymore unless looking very closely. So I am ok with that.

And what front number plate?

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 pm

I messaged Keith at JK Composites (again) the other day after not hearing from him for a month. He replied quickly saying that he is on his own there now since his son has left the business. He is using up the remainder of the plentiful stock he has, then setting himself up for retiring.