Recommendations for bluetooth intercom headset

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Anon

Recommendations for bluetooth intercom headset

Post by Anon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi all,

I am bored during lockdown so I though I' start looking for a good bluetooth intercom headset so that I can 1) talk to my passenger and 2) connect it to my PC in the car and my phone for all audio purposes. What set do you use?

It seems the Sena 20s EVO has some good reviews although there are some negatives ones based on it is not waterproof and hence lets water in:

It needs to be able to be stuck to the to the outside of my helmet not using clamps because my helmet the cheek pads are not removable I have an Arai GP6. Also I want to be able to power it using USB to prolong it's battery life on long runs.

Any experiences/opinions on this or other devices is greatly appreciated.

GraemeW

Re: Recommendations for bluetooth intercom headset

Post by GraemeW » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04 am

Simon there is loads of discussion on this subject under a number of topics on the forum. Use the search function to see it, and others will reply here with the latest advice

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:07 am

[mention]simonrhart[/mention] - there is quite a lot of good feedback on the Stilo DG10 devices from what I recall.

I decided against getting any in-car comms in the end, but that one made it to my shortlist at the time...

https://www.ariel.club/forum/search.php?keywords=Stilo

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:09 pm

There is a Bluetooth intercom system on the Atom 4 spec list - has anyone fitted that? Is there any more info available about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apr1962

Post by apr1962 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:39 pm

I am planning to use the Cardo Packtalk.Its waterproof, supports natural voice and has a 13 hour talk time battery. Now just need a date for my 4.

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Why that one?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:25 am

I am also interested in this topic. The Stilo DG10 is off the list though for me as its not waterproof!

I have never seen the current Ariel option. Has anyone got it on their 4?
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:24 am

MingtheMerciless wrote:Why that one?

Within 10mins of googling the reviews its the one to have....not cheap. £400 for the duo

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:27 am

I was looking at the PackTalk but will likely pull the trigger on the Cardo FREECOM which is about £100 cheaper than the PackTalk. The PackTalk additional features that you pay extra for as far as I can tell is it supports connectivity within a VPN across 15 riders, not something I will need. Both are waterproof IP67 and allows communication with up to 4 people and I only need it for my passenger. The cheaper FREECOM also supports natural voice. It has JBL speakers, my only concern is fitting the speakers in my helmet.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:31 am

The thing that has worried me about these is the helmet fitting. It was a ball ache with the old intercom on my old Atom in a Bell car racing helmet. I could never get the speakers and microphone install 100% neat.

From what i have seen you need to be able to remove the liner to do a good install which is not possible in my helmet! I don't want to add another new helmet to the cost.

Thoughts?

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am

Peter255 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:25 am I am also interested in this topic. The Stilo DG10 is off the list though for me as its not waterproof!

I have never seen the current Ariel option. Has anyone got it on their 4?
The Stilo DG10 is more for in-car with headphones on. I would probably get this for a noisy race car with a roof :tu:

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

I have the same problem, the lining cannot be removed on my Arai helmet but there is a place I think I can mount the 14mm speakers. They are quite flat. The mic, on these Cardos are flexible in that they supply 3 types, you can use the stalk type mic's or a small mic you place on the chin bar using 3M tape.

I have an AGV helmet for my kids and wife to wear and it has a place to put the speakers. Stilo helmets are similar so I know it will be easier to mount the speakers in that helmet.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 am

I also want the capability to do an intercom with driving instructors, assuming i ever get back on track too (after this COVID mess). :( So it needs to be flexible to work with other Bluetooth kit. I guess instructors generally already have a lid with a Bluetooth kit installed?

My missus doesn't come out in the car very often, and doesn't have a lid so this will be mainly for me for using the phone for music, satnav, and making calls (plus the intercom).

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 am

FWIW, I've driven my 4 in monsoon conditions & not had any issues with water ingress with the Stilo DG10.

As far as fitting goes, I got the guys at Nicky Grist to whack the comms in when I bought the Stilo lid(s) from them. They fit/ feel fine, don't ever notice them in there.

Cheap it ain't though, all this Stilo shizzle.

Cheers,
Hedge

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:55 pm

If you want to communicate with an instructor, then they can simply unclip the Cardo and connect it to their helmet and it's possible for them to use their own in ear headphones or headphones already deployed in their helmet. The same for the mic. All this for ~£300 is a bit of a bargain to be honest.