Pops and bangs

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Karl V

Pops and bangs

Post by Karl V » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:43 pm

So a month or two ago, I traded in the daily BMW X3 diesel for a BMW M340i.

Why the M340i over the X3? Many reasons... diesel V petrol, SUV V Saloon, blue V silver, the reasons are superficial...

But the real reason (that I didn't tell the wife at the time) is this:

I know, sounds chavvy, but I'm addicted people!

Before I went S/C, the Nomad gave a nice exhaust burble when changing down, no doubt helped by the heavier flywheel. That disappeared with forced induction and a lighter flywheel, and as much as I love the S/C whine at full beans, I find myself longing for pops and bangs.

Crewkerne told me it's not an option - fair enough - but is there some other way that I can (further) chav the car to annoy the neighbours?

I can't give it full beans pulling out of the garage at 6am to impress her at number 17 with a S/C whine, but I just know she'd appreciate a quick pop and bang that time of the morning. :-X

Sir Nick

Re: Pops and bangs

Post by Sir Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:29 am

I think it depend on the ECU and the map in it. For example ECUTEK do a specifice pops and bangs map option.
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:05 am

Did you go Ecutek in the end Nick?

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:10 am

No I didn'tKarl, my car would have needed a bespoke intermediate wiring loom and that priced it out.
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:06 am

He's right it's all in the ECU and the map and also the exhaust. Karl have you considered getting a Akrapovic catback or the Remus? I'm swaying more towards the Akrapovic for my 340i as it sounds way better than the stock exhaust. Sounds mega:

I think I am a minority here but I prefer the turbo noises in the new car over the supercharger high-pitched wine. With the turbo noises they are all different and varied. That said, the electronic waste gate noise is a clever system built into the Honda engine but I don't know how one could make this sound nicer like a fluttery sound instead of a sneeze sound as I would prefer this.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:11 am

Oooh that sounds throaty Simon!

Shame the Nomad couldn't sound a bit more menacing at lower speeds. Mind you, I'd be happy with any speed right now ;-)