Coronavirus - COVID19

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
markwetherall

Re: Coronavirus - COVID19

Post by markwetherall » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:02 pm

IMG_3954.jpg
IMG_3954.jpg (583.5 KiB) Viewed 312 times
I managed to get the Atom out on Saturday.

I was shopping and delivering food for the elderly who cannot leave there houses at the moment as they are high risk.

Do a good deed and enjoy yourself at the same time (In Jersey we are allowed to go shopping which is what I did and I didn't take the long way either)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Good idea. I could drop some tinned milk and a bag of toffees round to old Nick Mason.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Steve Gibson wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm Good idea. I could drop some tinned milk and a bag of toffees round to old Nick Mason.
I'll give you a big wet kiss, for the toffees :P
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 pm

autobackup wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 pm In Cyprus we have had a 21.00 to 06.00 nightly curfew for the past 10 days or so in addition to the curfew it's only possible to go out for a maximum of 3 hours per day only after requesting permission by SMS and only to go the doctor/vet, supermarket, pharmacy or pet shop.

To give the Cypriot authorities their due so far they've managed to keep pretty good control of the spread of the virus in comparison to many other countries in Europe who, including the UK, ...
Not to turn this forum into some political discussion, I just have to challenge this thinking that I keep reading about "our country is doing so much better because of X". Well, lets take a look at the numbers as they never lie (mostly!). Cyprus has a population of 1.17 million people, and as of today they have an infection rate of 465 cases which gives a country infection run of 0.03%. The UK on the other hand has (as of today, which is old stale data btw) 51,608 infections with a population of 66.44m. This gives a run rate of 0.07% of infected people without all the curfews and what not. So I'd say the UK is actually doing better than Cyprus in this case. Just because a country imposes higher/stricter rules/regulation/law or has few infections does not mean it is a working formula.

Anyway, enough of that, lets get back to talking about cars... :)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:10 am

It's interesting how 'infection' statistics are being used in the case of virtually every country - the numbers quoted everywhere are, in my opinion, likely to be considerably inaccurate?

- to back this up I can provide an example from my own family :

My 15 year old grandson is a junior UK rower and went with his team mates to Europe for a rowing regatta at the end of January/beginning of February for 5 days and subsequently, along with 8 others from the group came down with a classic case of COVID-19 - about 8 days or so after returning to the UK.

He, and his confrere's got all the classic symptoms - fever, dry cough and difficulty breathing etc: but luckily only mildly - he promptly passed on the infection to my daughter-in-law who, luckily, also got away with only a mild dose (rather oddly, despite living in the same house, my son wasn't infected at all).

The whole family immediately self-isolated as per the instructions but in neither case did it get so bad that they felt they needed to contact either their GP or the medical authorities and, in due course, both fully recovered and, I am happy to report, are now well!

So, my question is, how many others, including in other countries of the world, have gone through a similar experience and who, therefore, are unlikely to have contributed to the overall virus 'statistics' ?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 am

Auto, until wide spread testing happens for the antibodies, we will not know. Germany is as advanced as any but still not enough.

As per your point on your son, he may well have been infected but been a symptomatic or no obvious signs.

My wife and I have had it we believe but have been lucky in only being bed ridden for a week, it hits home more when like me a couple of friends are in ICU on ventilators, the stats mean far less when you are worried if they will pull through or not so I echo the, stay home and safe lives as my wife works for the NHS.

In a perfect world we would all use our common sense but as we know one persons views of the world are different than others. Chin up chaps, at least some of you have a car to be frustrated that you can’t drive, mine was due in August so I’m guessing that I’ll miss this years good weather now so it could be worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Took the V8 out for a spin earlier and nearly lost the back end!

image.png
image.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 239 times
Fancy a race-fight [mention]dunny[/mention]?