Coronavirus - COVID19

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
phil4

Re: Coronavirus - COVID19

Post by phil4 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 pm

I think think they should have done that sort of thing here. It seems that there are quite a few people who think the rules don't apply to them, that they're special, or that it doesn't matter/they can't won't catch it.

Part of the problem is that some of those people really are spreading it, and part of the problem is even "bigger picture" than that. Each person that's seen out and about is one more bit of evidence/temptation for someone who was doing as they were told, but decides, "meh, they're all doing what they want, why shouldn't I". And that's before you get into the "resource" use argument if things go wrong.

In the UK deaths are escalating exponentially, so for your own sake I'd want to stay away from anyone else, but equally, by playing by the rules, and encouraging others to, you help.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 am

I think the UK is LOCKED down and I don't understand why people say it is not.

Come to Hong Kong and you will see a place that is fully open.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 am

Question, when did the factory close? My Nomad is currently in build and is therefore clearly affected.

I'm also in Hong Kong and if it was ready, life is becoming very difficult to collect even it was finished.

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:30 pm

March 25 for 3 weeks.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 pm

I’m a little conflicted, having done a 50-mile (mainly) green lane ride on my Ducati Scrambler yesterday and a 20-mile MTB ride today.

I’m conflicted because on the one hand everyone else stayed at home. On the other I had a fantastic couple of rides. The byways and bridleways were deserted. So almost everyone else was intimidated into staying at home. That was great for me. It was like going back 50 years in time.

I sort of admire all those petrolheads in particular who stayed at home on a beautiful spring day when they would have wanted to go for a spin. But. . . really, why should they?

I know Derbyshire police have been auditioning their drone arts for a part in a future totalitarian state, but their battle-cry has not been “You're creating a risk of infection”, its been: “Not essential!”. Neither is my evening glass of malt. Are they going to put a camera in my home and scream the same thing at me for indulging in that?

I was doing a recce of green lanes on the Desert Sled for suitable places to take the Nomad. I have to say that I did think that the bike would be a bit more subtle than a yellow Nomad – but maybe that was cowardly. I suspect things will get locked down even harder in the weeks to come and everyone will be driven indoors, but my feeling is both that the economic impact of the lockdown is worse than what it is trying to prevent, and that the intimidation of people from enjoying the outdoors is irrelevant to infecting vulnerable people.

If I went for a 50-mile lap in my Atom or Nomad, without stopping or going near any other people, what exactly is the threat of contagion? And don’t tell me that I might end up in A&E. If we go down that route, we might as well give up doing everything ever.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 pm

You are right, no risk to you.

If you have an accident maybe an issue, but let park that.

No, in my mind the issue is that the more people go about as though it were normal, the more “me too” and “sod this” type people we’ll have, as they see you setting off, en route or getting home.

The above is my view, not fact and I’ll not be confusing the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:45 pm

I think the problem is best addressed like this: "What if everyone thought and acted like me? What would be the likely outcome?".

I'm not making a judgement. Just posing the question.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm

I think Steve is about right. And don’t forget the “acting like me” doesn’t mean they’ll all go green laning etc, they may decide their destination is the golf club, local beauty spot or similar and so bump into lots of other people.

Put it another way. Let’s say you’re driving along a road and there’s a sign saying it’s closed ahead. You then see a few cars going past, and a few more. Do you carry on as they did, or do you turn around and go back? This is what I’m getting at, adding to the number of people seen the more people will follow and do the same.

Only you can judge mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 pm

I took the Nomad out for a spin around the almost empty streets of Edinburgh earlier and ended up getting t-boned by a taxi!

Stay safe people...

image.png
image.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 466 times

gtm

Post by gtm » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:24 am

looks like it was the little mini behind that started things.

I fully agree with most of the comments here. I am 90% a not follow rules or what everyone else does, but one thing is sneaking out to the shops when you dont need much or anything, another thing is going out purposely for a leisure / adrenaline drive. Everyone in the group and maybe 10 million petrol heads also have the same urges, but to be more frank than most, only the pretty selfish will do it.

The thing is here in Spain, and the UK is heading there.... if you go out you are increasing the chance of needing medical assistance, its a fact, small increase maybe in your eyes, but its there and as others say, one does it, more do it.... more and more chances of accidents and especially on a bike.

THen, get to a local hospital, over here 200% overrun past their maximum capacity and someone older being treated for the virus effects basically has to be "turned off" to be able to treat you, as you are younger, and more xxxxx foolish.

Sorry if my post goes too far, but in Spain thats the deal, nurses and doctors are deciding who lives and dies on a daily basis and that is the main reason for keeping selfish people off the streets and its coming to the UK..... hopefully not as servere, but its getting there with probably 800 a day dead over the weekend :(.

Good news Karl is joining the committee, he's got to be good at something..... :). and he is!

a bored gary...in barcelona... not driven a car in 3 weeks... and yes I want to!

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am

Yes secretly I want to go for a spin in the 3.5 and by now I'd be on my 3rd trackday...

... but from the two medical professionals in the household and the other doing covid-19 testing in London ...

... follow the guidance and don't go for that non essential spin!

It not the fact that it causes a real problem in isolation, it the fact it encourages the other millions of people/petrolheads to do the same.

Before you know it there are thousands of people not following the guidance, more unnecessary deaths and an overwhelmed NHS (full of people who cant handle their machinery maybe? :vroom: )...

... sorry I'll get by coat

Btw nice photoshopping!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:43 am

atomiser wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am Btw nice photoshopping!
:tu:

Forza Horizon 4 on the Xbox.

Obviously nowhere near as much fun as the real thing, but I did do a bit of sand hooning early this morning. And overtook on a solid white going through a built up area :angel:

image.png
image.png (609.22 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be as polite talking about Mutley's stupid, selfish actions.
He needs to get a grip on himself, as despite his Forum Name, he's not associated with Dick Dastardly & the Wacky Racers, so shouldn't act like he is.
I'm 72, so in the "vulnerable group", but even if I wasn't, I would not go out unnecessarily, possibly putting others in danger because I wanted to have a bit of fun.
I have my Atom & Motorbike in the garage, plus two Sporty Cars on the driveway, but in the last three weeks, I've only been out twice to pick up medication for myself & my wife, and once yesterday to a local small supermarket for milk & a few essentials we'd run low on.
I've been riding motorbikes since I was 16, passing my test in 1965, so I've possibly had a longer period of road use than anyone else on here, but if I can hold back until we're told that it's safe to resume normal movement in the environment, then I'm sure others can as well.
Feel free to disagree with me, as that's my own personal view.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 pm

In Cyprus we have had a 21.00 to 06.00 nightly curfew for the past 10 days or so in addition to the curfew it's only possible to go out for a maximum of 3 hours per day only after requesting permission by SMS and only to go the doctor/vet, supermarket, pharmacy or pet shop.

If caught out during the curfew or during the day without permission it is an instant €150 'on the spot' fine - if caught a second time it's a court appearance and it's up to a €3000 fine and/or 6 months jail.

To give the Cypriot authorities their due so far they've managed to keep pretty good control of the spread of the virus in comparison to many other countries in Europe who, including the UK, have been very much less successful in their efforts - which has often been the result of an irresponsible minority of their population not taking the danger seriously!

What's required is for the citizens of these countries to demonstrate some mature social responsibility which, as is increasingly clear, is the only way that this nasty virus is going to be beaten!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 am

[quote=autobackup post_id=298479 time=1586105368 user_id=4949]
In Cyprus we have had a 21.00 to 06.00 nightly curfew for the past 10 days or so in addition to the curfew it's only possible to go out for a maximum of 3 hours per day only after requesting permission by SMS and only to go the doctor/vet, supermarket, pharmacy or pet shop.

If caught out during the curfew or during the day without permission it is an instant €150 'on the spot' fine - if caught a second time it's a court appearance and it's up to a €3000 fine and/or 6 months jail.

That sounds an excelent use of technology and a good way to impose safety on the polpuation Paul. Stay safe, stay home.
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol