Coronavirus - COVID19

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
GraemeW

Coronavirus - COVID19

Post by GraemeW » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Im putting this here ,as this issue may have an effect on some of our events.

Public Health have stated it is now extremely likely that there will be a COVID19 epidemic in the UK. Nobody knows how it will develop in this country. One possibility is outbreaks in certain UK areas like it did China, and Italy where the UK government may impose quarantine regulations. In this situation the decision on a certain event will essentially be made for us.

The other end of the scale is lower numbers of cases evenly spread, without quarantines, but possibly government recommendations about attending certain venues. In this situation we will review closer to the time, but probably leave it to individuals to decide whether they want to pull out from the event or not.

Whilst there is little risk to you driving in a convoy of Ariels, the risk is at the meeting, pubs, restaurants, hotels, or ferries we visit. I know there are differing opinions on the nature of this risk all over the media, but looking at the data we should take precautions. Watch this space

GraemeW

Re: Coronavirus - COVID19

Post by GraemeW » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:29 am

Given the latest upgrade in measures to combat this epidemic,and revised government recommendations, I think the events in April and possibly May will be affected.

As the government is making recommendations only, I won't cancel them but leave it top to individuals to decide. Everyones circumstances and risk profile are different.

For the events Im organising I propose the following actions below. I will also update the individual event topics. Events being organised by others, it is up to them to decide.

Summary:

5 April: Season kick off run to Caffeine & Machine. I will drop out of this. Anyone wanting to continue can still use the routes from last year on MyRoute App. Will need a volunteer to coordinate a meeting time at the start point at Oxford Pear Tree services on the A34.

19 April: Goodwood breakfast meet. Probably cancel the breakfast but could still drive to the circuit. Will decide later

1 to 5 May Welsh Weekend: Will probably cancel my trip as it looks highly likely things will be worse at that time, but know a couple will be travelling whatever happens. Will decide closer to the time.

17 May Breakfast meet. As above

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:24 am

It's clear that things are changing quickly [mention]GraemeW[/mention].

As others have already said on various social media platforms, you've been a diamond in plotting routes / activities for 2020 since the ill-fated Welsh Weekend that didn't happen in 2019 due to shite weather.

Personally, I have 2 little ones at home as from tomorrow due to school closure, which means my days / weekends / weeks away 'with the lads' may be limited as I try to stop wifechild killing boychild and/or girlchild. Everyone needs to play their part; or at least be a witness subpoenaed by a court of law...

To echo Graeme's comments - if anyone here wants to plan a run, please get in touch if you think we can help. Graeme has many routes already plotted in MyRouteApp ready to be adopted by anyone willing to run point if you can.

Contact Graeme
Contact Karl

In the meantime, and in order to maintain current social distancing advice, keep the photos coming folks! I may not have any bog roll left, but I'd happily sh*t myself watching your videos of lap times...

Keep safe.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm

No more drives out now for at least 3 weeks, probably longer. :doh:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 am

I think it’s fair to assume that this will be in place for at least 12 weeks, and therefore all club events until the end of June are cancelled. If things change we can review.

Those of us on the Pyrenees trip at the end of June will decide shortly, but it’s increasingly likely this trip will be postponed into 2021.

Stay well everyone. Take care of yourselves, and especially those you know who are vulnerable or at risk from this virus.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:13 am

No more drives out? You guys arent allowed to make a drive? Thats about the only thing I can still do to have fun over here...

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm

Went for a spin in the Nomad last Sunday. I think instinctively I thought it might be a last hurrah.

I think that we are probably all thinking the same thing - we're told that we must stay at home except for - shopping, getting fuel, exercising. . . where does going for a spin (normally literally in an Ariel) fit it?

I can't speak for an Atom, but at least in a Nomad, by the time you give your core muscles a going over dropping through the frame and wrestle with the steering for a few miles you have had quite a workout.

I know it's wicked - but that comes with an Ariel. I for one will be thinking of challenging some of the logic behind the 'Don't leave home unless. . .'

Anyway, Iv'e just fixed luggage to the Nomad (a la Karl - but utilising my existing motorcycle topcase in my case) so I'm thinking of volunteering for the government's emergency NHS delivery service. Alternatively, I could offer the over -70's lifts to the shops. . .

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Mutley wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm Went for a spin in the Nomad last Sunday. I think instinctively I thought it might be a last hurrah.
I like your thinking! Looks like my Nomad is now quarantined in Crewkerne for who knows how long. I did a last minute gin shop instead...

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm

The roads are beckoning ;D

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Karl V wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm
Mutley wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm Went for a spin in the Nomad last Sunday. I think instinctively I thought it might be a last hurrah.
I like your thinking! Looks like my Nomad is now quarantined in Crewkerne for who knows how long. I did a last minute gin shop instead...
3 weeks as I understand it from the factory. I need to pick up my car, and I am sure the factory need the space back :)

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 pm

E468F232-2D2B-4334-B046-3CEADFBE5463.jpeg
E468F232-2D2B-4334-B046-3CEADFBE5463.jpeg (471.93 KiB) Viewed 734 times
This was posted on Sky News regarding Boris rules on the lockdown. Taking the Atom for a blast, now I know I’m not getting a pull.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Encouraging. I shall rely on that. If you don't stop I can't see exactly who you pose a risk to ;D

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Mutley wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm Encouraging. I shall rely on that. If you don't stop I can't see exactly who you pose a risk to ;D
Agreed

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 pm

In belgium lock down until half april. Probably then they will add another 2 weeks untill 3 may. So no rides untill then🤔
At least we can look at it in the garage......

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 am

It is interesting to realise just how far behind Europe the UK is in trying to 'lock down' unnecessary movement as it seemed that the UK health authorities initially completely underestimated the seriousness of the situation and then compounded this error for many days before finally bowing to the inevitable

- in Cyprus we have been in 'lockdown' for nearly 2 weeks - the authorities here took very prompt pro-active measures almost immediately the virus appeared in Italy - for the past 2 weeks we have had to fill in a form (attached FYI) everytime we go out for any reason (or, alternatively send a SMS message asking permission to move) that lists specific reasons for being 'out and about'!

If the police catch anyone out and about without reasonable justification it is an instant €150 'on the spot' fine or for more egregious offences a court visit with a possible fine of up to €4000 and/or 6 months jail!!

I was originally planning on returning to the UK for a visit 18th-31st March but abandoned the trip a couple of days before I was due to fly out - subsequent events have vindicated my decision to abort my visit as I would have been unable to return to Cyprus for the foreseeable future.

Due to Cyprus authorities prompt actions the virus is reasonably under conntrol here with 4 deaths (in the south) so far and about 180 reported infected - ironically the first death was a man dying in Paphos Hospital from kidney failure whose family flew out from the UK 'to say goodbye' and inadvertently brought the virus with them and promptly infected their dying relative and, in the process, started a small virus 'hotspot' in Paphos!!
DECLARATION OF CITIZENS MOVEMENT (Active).pdf
(606.83 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)