Mileage, should we be precious.....?

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
CAG3D

Mileage, should we be precious.....?

Post by CAG3D » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 pm

When you own a certain type of car, rare, prestigious, etc. you often have to be aware of controlling your mileage.

What are people’s thoughts on the Forum?

I’ve always been ‘I bought it to drive it’, but I have been on the ‘ouch’ end of it when trying to sell the car (I did 30,000+ miles in a Turbo S 911).

How should I view the Atom?

I’m aware with the new 4 released, that some of the original cars are likely to become more sought after, so the mileage will have a big impact on the selling price as and when and if I chose or have to sell it.

I purchased my 3.5R with 3,000 miles on, Almost a year later and it now has 6,500 miles on the clock.

I have NO interest in selling it.......however I’d love to know your thoughts on it, especially long standing owners.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil4

Re: Mileage, should we be precious.....?

Post by phil4 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:21 pm

My last motorbike was a Ducati not rare or special as such, but when it came to resale more than a few hundred miles a year was frowned upon and a lot knocked off the value.

I guess a lot depends on how much return you want when selling.

I can’t say for certain what the expected mileage is, but I’d reckon anywhere up to 2-3k per year and it shouldn’t drop too far.

I may be very wrong though... that’s just what I think based on what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:07 pm

An interesting one...

I guess it also depends on why you bought the car. Like you, I bought mine to drive and I'm more interested in what I get from the car now in smiles per miles, than what I may get in 4 or 5 years in cash.

I'm sure the 'what kind of miles were they' factor comes in to play too. 10,000 miles of spirited road driving in dry weather - or 10,000 laps of Brands Hatch.

And I don't think mileage is the only factor when you take in to account how the car was looked after and options list.

My philosophy is enjoy it while you can. You can't take it with you...

ooinaru

Post by ooinaru » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:35 am

A car is not an investment. Drive it and don’t stress about the couple % loss you will incur when you come to sell it because of higher miles.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:14 am

My view is that Ariels are more sensitive to spec. and a factory service history than mileage. Buy a good one, maintain it properly, drive it and it will hold its value.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:41 am

Unless you go on lots of euro road trips, it's quite difficult to pile on the miles.

I drove mine at least 1 day every week, including through out the winter, weather and salt permitting and after 7 years had managed just 12,000 miles.

I found that each year I was driving less miles, so probably no need to worry too much about those initial high 1st year miles.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Ultra low volume car's value are sensitive to mileage, spec and demand out stripping supply

991 GT3 with gen 1 engine and 40k miles are a 'reasonable' price, where as 991 GT3 manual 'touring' with sub 5k miles are north of 200k

They is some man maths involved that probably allows you to drive this type of car and make/not loose money, but nothing that involves enjoyment for me.

So get a 'good' spec, service with the factory, replace/refurnish as required and drive it like you stole it as frequently as poss - once warmed up of course! The atom is ultra reliable providing it maintained properly

I made on the last atom with 22k miles - if I ignore all the servicing, replacement and refurnishing costs :roflp: