FORUM, COMMITTEE AND MEMBER PAYWALL CHANGES

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Alex Brandon-Smith

FORUM, COMMITTEE AND MEMBER PAYWALL CHANGES

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Evening chaps. [mention]Karl V[/mention] and [mention]phil4[/mention] have been cracking on behind the scenes with some great new changes for the forum.

The improvement in look is fairly clear to see and I think you'll agree it look 100 times better than the old design which was from when we migrated the old forum to this new platform. Thank you guys. We are also making changes to the layout of the forum, and with it, some sections will disappear behind the members-only paywall.

This use of the wider paywall has been discussed before but not implemented, mainly due to lack of time and analysis of how to do it. This has now been done and we are going to move some of the major topic areas for the benefit of members only, and to encourage more people to sign up as full members. An increase in membership will be of benefit to all members with us being able to use funds for bigger events and hopefully further discounts on products and services.

The extra areas which will be accessible to Members only will be:
Events Detail (an events summary will be available to all still) - this will allow for more private details of events to be discussed openly
Technical - arguably the most valuable section for owners with years of recommendations and setups, questions and answers
Road spotting - the place to privately discuss the best roads

There may be more but these are the areas which will draw people in. The paywall change will happen on the 1st November.

There is also a committee change. [mention]Rob Evans[/mention] is having to stand down as Membership Secretary. It's a huge shame to lose him and I'd like to thank him for all his hard work over the years. Without him, no one would have got their insurance discount! :roflp: Losing a key member like Rob is never easy but I genuinely hope to see him back and active again soon.

Joining us on the Committee in his place is [mention]Karl V[/mention]. Karl has been doing a great deal behind the scenes and has agreed to add this to his list of duties. We are aiming to streamline the membership process once the auto-renewal has been running for a year (in Jan) and so hopefully all new members will get their welcome packs and membership numbers in good time. Karl, thanks again for the help you are giving Phil and the insights into the club behind the scenes.

The changes going on are exciting and I hope you can support the move to the broader paywall. £30 is a small price to pay to access such privileged information, to get discount on servicing at the Factory and discount on insurance. It's time for more people to join us as active members, for everyone's benefit.

Cheers

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

hamtt

Re: FORUM, COMMITTEE AND MEMBER PAYWALL CHANGES

Post by hamtt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 pm

I think might be an idea to keep the event details public as that's the kind of thing that will engage with new owners but then keep the joining of the events for members only.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 pm

That's a fair point [mention]hamtt[/mention].

The main reason for looking at 'safeguarding' the Events details was mainly to offer members privacy. Currently, the general Internet can see arguably too much detail.

I agree though - it needs to be a balance to show new owners what we get up to and encourage them to join us.

We'll keep thinking. There has to be some middle ground...

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:25 am

Either way, massive kudos to the likes of Karl & Phil for dedicating their time to this. All forums need people like them, so many many thanks for all your input.

Cheers,
Hedge

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:09 am

This.
Thanks so much guys, your efforts are genuinely appreciated.

Cheers,
Stu

stupot

Post by stupot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:34 am

I wholeheartedly agree with the above. Thanks guys.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)