Password Advice

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
phil4

Password Advice

Post by phil4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi All,

I'd not normally be telling you how to manage your passwords, most of you are bright enough to do that yourselves.

[mention]GraemeW[/mention] noticed some increased traffic to the site, and thought that while we're not likely to be hacked, it might be wise to warn you of the consequences should the worst happen.

The long and short is - don't use the same password here as you do for other sites.

Imagine, if this site was hacked, and the hackers walked off with your password... if you've reused that on Gmail/Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter etc... suddenly the hacker has access to all of your private stuff. Even worse they can then use them and social engineering to get access to other sites you used a different password for (the most basic is password reset request).

If this is new to you, have a look at the many password managers out there (LastPass, dashlane, KeePass etc), that'll help and encourage you to use a different password for every single site, which is the ideal situation. The other thing to look at if possible is 2FA, Google and the like encourage this, and so worth doing where you can.

GraemeW

Re: Password Advice

Post by GraemeW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks Phil. Yes we advised about this a few years ago. Theres nothing much to hack here, but fraudsters often target smaller less secure sites like this because they know that many use the same password on the less secure site as on their more secure personal online accounts. It was a trend we spotted on my last job in cyber security just before I retired.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Until Decentralized Identity becomes a standard, we are kind of stuck of passwords being in control on webservers like this.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:28 pm

I've changed my password but everything now seems a bit fucked. I keep being asked a Captcha question 'how much torque does the Atom 4 produce' I seem unable to answer in the right format.
My advice is leave be!!

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

If you're having a problem with the Captcha question, by all means post here and I'll PM you, or PM me.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm

AlanP wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:28 pm I keep being asked a Captcha question 'how much torque does the Atom 4 produce'
;D

I got asked 'what is quicker round a track, 3.5R or a 4'. I prefer pictures of busses.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Karl,

Took a minute...

😁