Prices of fitting later

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
phil4

Prices of fitting later

Post by phil4 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 pm

This isn't intended as a criticism of Ariel, it's more something I've learned that I'm sure would help others if they're aware :wize:

When I bought my Atom I was told that I could get it N/A and add the supercharger on later at the same price as if new :tu: I didn't, I went with it straight away, but I'm sure many have thought/been told that. And it'll be right.

Having recently bought a 2nd hand Nomad and wanted to add a few things on, I learned that the principle doesn't apply to all things. For example, a mechanical handbrake (because you have the Alcon rears) may have appeared on the Atom options list at circa £720 (in 2014), but once you add in 6 hours labour, it's a bit more pricey. There'll be a reason for that, like for example the coolant pipes are in the way, whereas when being fitted new, they won't be, similarly running brake lines less being less fun when there are seats, engines and the like in place.

It's not the same for all options, some of them added next to no labour or with labour are priced about the same as you'd have seen on a price list. :tu:

My point above, really isn't about the prices themselves for any given thing. Nor is it to say that you can't add options later... you clearly can, and that is bloomin' awesome 8) No really. You try that with a mainstream car... take it back to VW's factory and ask them to change out the trim.

More this is to warn/let you consider that unless you've pre-agreed it, or it was stated as such, it's not always the case that adding something later is as cheap as it appeared on the original price list. :checkeredflag:

atomiser

Re: Prices of fitting later

Post by atomiser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:47 pm

I think the factory plays it pretty straight and the labour rates under AAOC are very good.

Stealers are typically £150/h and charge as per the manual regardless of how quickly they do the job. Plus the parts are no where near options list price. Folding mirrors was the classic for me - £300 option, £1100 stealer price and £500 s/h incl fitting

If in doubt option out!

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh believe me, they are... £55+VAT is much much better than the stealers £100+ rate... and even better than that you get proper techs who know what they’re doing. Not the kid who couldn’t care less.

This really was just to highlight that a) you can add bits on which is awesome but that b) it won’t always be the same price it was when you were buying new.

6 hours to add a mechanical handbrake and I’m happy as Larry I’m paying Ariel rates, not main dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Haha!

Yep any upgrade that requires engine out, re-routining or replacement should be avoided!

If I was ordering a 4, the 350 upgrade, areo are not immediate requirements but the best brakes and gearbox would be