Sat Nav. Upgrade?

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
MarkyMark

Sat Nav. Upgrade?

Post by MarkyMark » Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm

2013 Atom and purchased with the Tom Tom Rider from the factory. Has served me well for what is mostly a road Atom.
Now the unit has become a bit glitchy and I miss things like Real Time Traffic Info etc which is a useful feature to have.

So the question is, is it better to upgrade to the latest Tom Tom (550?) model? Is the car mount different for this model? Or will the 550 just slip over the present car mount? (...I doubt it!)

Or does everybody just use their smartphones nowadays (iPhone/Samsung etc) with Google Earth/Apple Maps or Waze or what not on a suitable mount?

One of the issues with using an iPhone in the past was that it was not waterproof but I have a more recent model now.
But would it not be more fiddly to use with gloves etc?

What do most other owners do or please advise?

Regards,

MM

autobackup

Re: Sat Nav. Upgrade?

Post by autobackup » Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 am

MarkyMark

The problems you are having is caused by the fact that the old TomTom Rider 400 has issues with the recent GPS rollover time/date that occurred on April 6th this year - it should still navigate OK but all the things dependent on the date and/or time - e.g. ETAs/journey times - may no longer function correctly!

If you haven't already set up a TomTom account I would suggest registering to get access to the latest updates - if you actually have an account I would suggest that you log in to TomTom UK and try updating it.

- TomTom claim that they are working on a firmware/software update/fix (or so they say?) and they sent me an email to tell me about the problem (I would have attached their email to this message but unfortunately I have already deleted it).

However as I now only use the old Rider 400 for my housekeeper's car when she doesn't know the address where she is going to I am personally not too bothered.

I replaced my original Rider 400 with the Rider 550 on my Atom when it was rebuilt as a 3.5R last year - this latest motorcycle SatNav unit not only locks securely to the car but is rotatable (landscape/portrait) but also connects to and 'updates itself by 'talking'' to my house wi-fi while sitting outside in the road and, quite frankly, it is a HUGE improvement over the older Rider 400 and 'yes' you are right it comes with an entirely different (and, if I may say so, better) mounting system!

It has the latest Bluetooth iteration and connects to either my phone (music/talk radio) or can offer verbal SatNav directions - these are sent to digital noise reducing headphones (inc boom mics) played via my Bluetooth Stilo digital intercom - but, unfortunately, not both at the same time!

So - mostly I configure it to play music or radio (data) and rely on the SatNav screen visuals info for the route while simultaneously enabling normal voice conversation between me and any passenger!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

MarkyMark

Post by MarkyMark » Wed May 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Thank a.b. Very informative.
Yes, I noticed my clock is stuck at 00.00 even though I have it set to “auto time sync” or set the time manually.Now it makes sense as only started playing up in last 4 weeks or so.
Decided to try to update it after I posted my question yesterday, and the unit is no longer supported!
So unable to get latest maps.
One upside is that Tom Tom have given me a discount voucher so the 550 model will cost £320 and the Premium model (which I don’t think I need as it comes with a case and windscreen mount) will cost £399. That is from the Tom Tom website. Looked at Halfords,Amazon to see if that was a good discount but neither seem to have mention of the 550 model. The former only stock the Garmin Zumo model which is a bit perplexing.
Looked at some YouTube reviews. One criticism is that for the Live Traffic info it uses your mobile data connection. Not sure how much it would use. I have a 10GB limit with my present mobile phone deal.
Also “Lifetime” updates with Tom Tom mean as long as they decide to support the unit, which was 6 years for my original Tom Tom Rider. If they go out of business (and the sat nav business is not as secure it seems as it once was as Smart phones & Google Maps etc take over!) it may not be supported for that long again. Will have to have a think.
Thanks for your help & advice. MM

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 am

This German site sells the TomTom Rider 550 for c£290 inc. shipping https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?

My TomTom Rider V2 is 11 years old and when I looked to update it last month it turned out they stopped supporting it in 2018 and offered me the same deal for the 550. I looked at this (hence why I looked at the site above) but as my V2 uses an SD card, luckily I managed to get the original 2018 Euro maps SD card off Ebay for £21 which has also updated the software.

I decided that unless you are using the Atom a lot and really need the latest bike Sat Nav, if I hadn't found the update, I would have used my smartphone with a mount as it is a much cheaper/better long term solution, especially as I have just bought 2 Bluetooth motorcycle intercom/headsets...
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

MarkyMark

Post by MarkyMark » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Fastlane. £284.50 at present. A very good price. Reviews for the unit are a bit hit and miss. Dodgy mount connections etc. I have no complaints to try to use my smartphone with a suitable mount however BUT worried about the practical constraints about using one with gloves and helmet etc . Would a smartphone be way too fiddly in an Atom?
If there are Atom users who regularly use a smartphone for Nav I would like to hear from you! Suitable mounts etc?
I also use a BT unit for helmet comms but use it mainly for music via fitted earphones and for comms if the wife is with me.
MM

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 am

Mark

I use an old Garmin car sat nav in the atom with one of these waterproof mounts. Use RAM mounts to connect to the Atom. They do various sizes and my large smartphone fits in it as well, although touchscreen doesn't work that well. It is really waterproof. I drove all the way to Devon along A303 in a downpour and satnav was dry when i got there.

However I am also looking at the Tomtom 550 on the german site, because my old Garmin satnav requires expensive upgrades. I use it a lot in europe.

MarkyMark

Post by MarkyMark » Thu May 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks GraemeW. Intrigued that the old design Rider (and that waterproof mount) has that nice "peaked" shaded cover to it to prevent glare and also keep the worst of the rain water off the screen. The screen is also very recessed so mostly safe from knocks and scratches (I just bung mine in a bag when I leave the car). This new 550 screen is not protected at all and with a non shaded screen.
I guess new screen tech means it is easily readable in bright sun but definitely going to get covered in rain water in a shower though!
MM

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu May 09, 2019 3:08 pm

there is a bespoke plastic shade for the 550. its not Tomtom, but an aftermarket item. I think I saw it on FC-moto.de.

MarkyMark

Post by MarkyMark » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks again. Should really be included in the box by Tom Tom to begin with, although this is a 3rd party one, and I note in the reviews that many of the motorbikers could not read their Tom Tom nav screens due to glare in bright sun! Beggars belief really.Everything is so "form over function" nowadays.
MM

77_TYX

Post by 77_TYX » Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 am

Whilst I have used various sat navs in the past, predominantly Garmin, I can thoroughly recommend using your mobile attached to the dash with a quad lock. Google Maps offers far more features and live traffic updates and keeps all your call and musical requirements easily accessible. Also better to have just one fully charged electrical gadget.

**I have no connection with either Google or Quad Lock and have received no commission for my recommendation** ;D

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed May 29, 2019 7:06 am

Agree the phone is cheapest way and with the excellent Google maps. However I have a slight problem with it. The MyRoute-app can’t download routes to google maps on a phone, only satnav units. Well, to my knowledge anyway. I rely on the MyRoute-app file downloaded to my Garmin on many trips to get accurate routes on the selected roads for driving enjoyment, rather than device trying to reroute you on fastest route. Some will laugh at that because we have had a few hiccups. A group of atoms and Nomads doing u turns on any road is not a pretty sight

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 am

Although I have heard that if you upgrade your MyRoute-app free membership to a paid subscription then the MyRoute-app on your phone will provide directions to the routes you’ve created online. Haven’t tried that yet. It might be the perfect solution

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

Graeme

You are entirely right - I have MyRoute Gold on my PC & phone and can access my routes via my Android phone App.

Just open the App then click <Tracking> select the route (needs to have been downloaded) enable the phone's GPS and start it.

I would remind you that I created and sent you a link to a 'public' route from Thruxton to the MSG 2019 hotel (door to door!!)

Paul
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks Paul. I haven’t seen that. Was it email or PM?