Trailer question

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Gyro_Craig

Trailer question

Post by Gyro_Craig » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Considering buying a trailer for my Nomad this year. I have read with interest previous posts but I’m sure I read somewhere that an open trailer was the way to go but I don’t know why (or if this was correct). So, if you had the option of buying open or covered trailer which would you go for and why?

Anon

Re: Trailer question

Post by Anon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:13 am

A closed trailer is much better, but they are much more expensive.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 pm

I got an open trailer for two reasons. It fits in my garage and a lot cheaper than a closed trailer. I liked the idea of a closed trailer and even if it did fit in my garage it would take up so much more space volume wise. They are good but usually more than twice the price of an open trailer, I’m not sure they give you more than twice the benefit?

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:38 pm

I've had both and both have advantages/disadvantages.

It's easier to load an open trailer and rear visibility is much easier when towing/maneuvering but the vehicle is more secure in a closed trailer and it doesn't get wet & dirty!

That's pretty much it imo.

Cheers,
Stu

dunny

Post by dunny » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm

I went totally overboard with an Ifor Williams tilt bed transporter trailer.
It is so easy to load your car plus tyres etc.Don't forget how wide your Nomad is!Read previous posts about covered trailers.
Cheers,
Dunny.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:56 am

An enclosed trailer is significantly more weight and would mean I'd have to upgrade the car to tow more than 1.2t net.

Additionally if you have the centre boards, properly enclosed wheels and front can storage, the load only gets wet and not dirty - if it rains.

The Brian James trailer A series 1.96mx4m bed that I use, allows me to front load and has no alloy kerbing sides :-). This gives weight nose of 65kg so is very stable.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:42 am

I agree with Atomiser - I have been very happy with my 'bespoke' PRG Beavertail Tilt trailer.

I can also front load my Atom which is not only much much easier but also markedly improves the MPG of my towing car (Honda CRV) as it is somewhat more aerodynamic - I have experimented with towing with my Atom both facing forwards and backwards!
Attachments
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 1390 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:53 am

autobackup wrote:I agree with Atomiser - I have been very happy with my 'bespoke' PRG Beavertail Tilt trailer.

I can also front load my Atom which is not only much much easier but also markedly improves the MPG of my towing car (Honda CRV) as it is somewhat more aerodynamic - I have experimented with towing with my Atom both facing forwards and backwards!
Yep! Looks good - my mpg went up as well (31.6 to around 33.5mpg)

The mpg may well go down with an enclosed trailer because of the extra ~450kg v gain in aerodynamics - plus the need for at least a 2.5t suv.

I've got a disco rental at the mo while my load lugger has warranty work. I'm struggling to get 25mpg without trailer :-(

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm

I am undecided whether to get an enclosed trailer or open one. The enclosed one is better for the following reasons 1) you can use it as storage outside (for limited periods of course) which frees up garages at home as well 2) its much more secure if towing overseas you can leave it at hotels, tracks etc 3) you can put slicks in it along with the car

But, there are many disadvantages as well, 1) cost, they cost a lot 2) visibility will be like towing a caravan if you have ever done that you can't easily see behind 3) they often have the "kerb" rails

The weight issue for me is not a problem with the enclosed one as I will be getting a Ford Ranger 3.2ltr that can tow 2.5 tons. I can also put slicks in the back of the ranger.

I do like autobackups trailer, it's just a perfect size, it looks alloy, 2 axle for stability, doesn't have the "kerb" edges so no risk of damaging wheels like some trailers have. That said the cost is similar to an enclosed one if memory serves correct.

There is this trailer for sale £4,500 but I am not so sure it would fit a Nomad or AA 4: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... huttle-sr1

Simon

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Simon

It is a 'bespoke' length & width with a (shorter than normal) 4ft draw-bar - and was specifically designed to fit into half a 40ft shipping container with my Atom strapped on it! It is, in fact, galvanised steel.

- it cost £4894.80 inc VAT which included LED lighting and a Bulldog Hitchlock.

But, in all honesty, it could be built for a lot cheaper if specified without the hydraulic tilt, the Bulldog Hitchlock and the punched metal decking - it is normally supplied with industrial board decking as shown in the beavertail image on PRG's website!

- this lower spec would be £1056.00 inc VAT cheaper!

- but I decided to specify the hydraulic tilt option which proved, in the event, to be somewhat of an overkill as the 2.5m ramps together with the beavertail generally offer a low enough loading angle, I also specified the punched metal decking option as I was unsure how well industrial boarding would stand up to the Cyprus summer sun?

But overall the build quality is first class, it can carry 2300kgs, is very easy to load and it also tows beautifully with my Atom facing forwards and I am very happy with it!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm

simonrhart wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm
There is this trailer for sale £4,500 but I am not so sure it would fit a Nomad or AA 4: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... huttle-sr1

Simon
It would just fit an A4 for width but height would not work if you fancied a rear wing. It wouldn't fit a Nomad for height I don't think.

Cheers,
Stu

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes I have to have the aero. I will likely go for the galvanized trailer. I would not want to take up a garage space with it so need to look into a cover to store outside.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm

I've got 2.4M inboard ramps on my BJ A series. An atom with front aero can be driven on with no problem - and in fact my other car with less than 100mm clearance at the front can also be driven on with no problem. On a flat surface you can also push the car on with two people - useful when first loading early in morning and I don't want to disturb the neighbours ;)

Unsure about a tilt bed trailer but sounds good - the inboard ramps on mine take 30sec to get out and put back - unlatch,pull out, load, push back in and finally release latch. However don't go for the trailers with detachable ramps that hook on and have to be secured down on centre of the trailer - you have to get the securing pins on and off, then man handle them onto the back of the trailer, load, followed by carefully putting them back without damaging the under-neath of the loaded car

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 am

simonrhart wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm I am undecided whether to get an enclosed trailer or open one.
Enclosed. Everytime, as you say - its can be used a s a 'garage' and is much more effective at being a 'garage' than a car cover. Esp if you arent going to keep it in a garage!

Any car cover (if it is a fit direct to vehicle, and not a 'car coon') is not a garage substitute...

Please, always load your Atom on backwards, to keep weight over the nose of the trailer. If you are lucky enough to have a trailer big enough to have the rear wheels almost over the axle whilst loading forwards - go for it!

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 am

Henry

When my Atom is loaded facing forwards on my trailer I have a healthy 58kgs nose weight with the car positioned as in the previously posted photo.

- however I would agree with you that a rear facing car must be loaded if using a single axle trailer but in the particular case of my PRG trailer which has dual axles and was specifically built to carry my Atom 3.5R there is more than enough mass biased towards the front.

When it was built to my specifications I asked Richard at PRG to make the reduction in the standard length to the section rear of the dual axles so the length in front of the axles is longer that the length behind the axles - if you look at the photo of my trailer I previously posted you can clearly (if obliquely) see this and that the front of the Atom's engine is almost above the rear trailer axle.

There are advantages to having a bespoke trailer made - PRG were the ONLY manufacturer that I could find who were prepared to make a trailer to my specific bespoke length & width dimensions - all the others simply make 'standard' trailers so you can only select the closest trailer size to what you need!

The downside is that it is a bit more expensive than the 'off the shelf' trailers!

I load my Atom as far forward as possible and have never had any problems with the 'tail wagging the dog' up to 70mph which is as fast as I've ever towed it!

Atomiser

The ramps on my trailer stow down the middle is a sort of partial tunnel (spaced bars) below the bed level and are locked in place by a spring loaded lock latched drop down flap (the number plate is fixed to the outside - i.e. rear of the flap). There is no possibility whatsoever of the ramps hitting the underside of a car while being removed or replaced
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)