Overwhelming colour scheme

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
Karl V

Overwhelming colour scheme

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 pm

I thought the hardest part of buying a new Ariel was Atom V Nomad.

Once the decision was made, I was then faced with far too many Nomad options - most of which were easy for me: 15" or 18" wheels? Silly whips? Unnecessary winch? Roof lights? Under body protection? I took them all.

The hardest part by far was the colour scheme. During my 10 month wait, I printed out every conceivable colour combination and poured over them for weeks. Every single one was at the top of my list. If I recall, it would have cost something like 3/4 Million Pounds to scratch the itch - and a garage larger than the house.

No way I'd get that past the quarterly project budgeting meetings...

So instead, I opted for a gunmetal grey frame with a gunmetal engine cover to match, with 2 bonnets that would become my very own little splash of colour through the medium of wrapping.

The first 2 were summer matt chrome green and autumn matt chrome orange. After 3 months, I've changed the green for gloss baby blue and orange is currently being changed to a white pearlescent.

So far so good. I get the feel of different colours (I only see the bonnet when driving) without buying 20 different Nomads.

Except...

I bought the blue home today and the boss said she really liked the matt chrome green, "why did I get rid of it?". She even suggested I get another couple of spare bonnets to broaden the range.

So what have I learned???

Well firstly, the boss wants me to spend money on the car - she's a keeper! Secondly though, if I'm not careful, I'll end up with a Nomad Pride. Or worse still, a Nomad Paul Smith.

This is before I experiment with XBox logos; urban camouflage and bling gold chrome.

I think I've created a monster!

Green.jpg
Green.jpg (352.46 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Orange.jpg
Orange.jpg (324.51 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Blue.jpg
Blue.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 2444 times

AlanP

Re: Overwhelming colour scheme

Post by AlanP » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 pm

That orange is beautiful.

Alan

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 pm

You're not helping [mention]AlanP[/mention]

;-)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm

I had the same problem with the atom. Tech spec was nailed down 1 year out but colour scheme was last minute. I want to get some more panels as well now. Anyone got some used ones for sale ?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm

I have so little creativity.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:39 pm

I do think the bonnet is all you need [mention]Digger[/mention]

Wrap the air intake in a 'neutral' colour (£30?) and splash out on a 2nd bonnet.

I'm paying £50 per wrap due to the funky curves in the Nomad bonnet. That's £200 every 3 to 6 months.

And if a pigeon does unexpectanly explode on your bonnet, simply unwrap....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ariel.c ... 517726342/

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 pm

I should clarify my comment above...

Most car wrap shops charge £1,000 to wrap a whole car. When they do, they buy materials in yards / kilometres / acres of vinyl, some of which goes unused.

A Nomad bonnet is about 1 meter X 1/2 meter...

I have charmed my way into raking through their 'bins' and choosing a vinyl they would have otherwise thrown away.

For £50 (and 1/2 hours work on their part) my choices are limited. I see vibrant purples, interesting reds and the occasional shouty yellow.

So I'm not always in control of what's on offer, but it seems everyone wins.

My local wrapping shop has just finished a Renault Clio in shocking pink with vinyl to spare.

I'll give that a miss.

Apparently there's a customer due next month who wants a vivid lime green makeover for his McLaren.

£50 well spent?

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:28 am

:tu:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am

Green - Awesome !
Orange - Very nice.
Blue.....ummmm not convinced....

But then again hats off coz I am the most dull and boring.......RED....I am debating a 2nd bonnet with a wrap now though....

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:22 am

All well and good, but how are we supposed to spot your car at a meet, or in a photo ;)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Needs more lights on the bonnet, power bulge / scoop and fake vents! :P ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Pearl white arrived today, replacing orange.

To be be fair, I do prefer the green and orange over the blue and white. That said, the blue and white are my 'winter' colours. And I'm not a fan of winter...

Roll on April. I have my eye on a bling yellow and deep purple chrome.

Pretty sure the local plod are as confused as I am. Took me 10 minutes to find my Nomad in ASDA's car park earlier. If only I had a bonnet number plate ;-)

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm

I think Mr Fox's Gulf livery would win this category.
Hands down.

;) :H:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 am

Karl V wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 pm Pretty sure the local plod are as confused as I am. Took me 10 minutes to find my Nomad in ASDA's car park earlier. If only I had a bonnet number plate ;-)
Did I miss something, do you tend to have a lot of Nomad's parked in your local Asda? ;D

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Fair point [mention]phil4[/mention].

I have only ever seen 1 Nomad at my local ASDA car park (unless [mention]Matt Hegarty[/mention] uses the same ASDA that I do). I still struggle to remember if it's mine or not. I'm sure mine is green. Or maybe orange.

Here is the white panel:

FB_IMG_1542145798802.jpg
FB_IMG_1542145798802.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
A bit bland I think.

I have my eye on a chrome yellow. The local car wrapping shop also has a job coming up in a vibrant purple. Could be interesting...