How's Your Atom Bruce

The place for all general, non-model specific, chat and any club announcements
AtomFun

How's Your Atom Bruce

Post by AtomFun » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:54 pm

I posted this under the Events section as collecting an Atom you've been parted from for a while is quite an event in itself!

So how is it to have the baby back?

Bruce Fielding

Re: How's Your Atom Bruce

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:33 am

It's fanbloodytastic!

It's sitting in the high security compound near my house/bedsit (OK, the school car park) atop my trailer. I haven't driven it yet - too flippin cold, and it's not taxed - but I'm really looking forward to it. Tom who took it for it's test drive yesterday said the car felt fantastic - he drove it back-to-back with Miles's (the guy we met at Cadwell) 300 and actually prefered the way mine handed (which might have been down the fact that it had Dymags vs. Miles' technos). The gearbox is now sorted and feels lovely - at least when static with the engine switched off!

Sorry, John, didn't take any pictures - I have quite enough of my car sitting outside the N. Perrot barns, thank you!

We had a bit of fun and games fitting the TomTom Rider but Steve was brilliant and has made a great job of it - even working in what felt like sub-zero temepratures. The battery cut off will save me having to get out the allen keys when putting the car in the garage and adds a level of scurity, too. It's not a full race one, just something to help stop the battery from dying (which my old one did yesterday, too!)

Other reports from yesterday - I have seen the factory from the inside - it really exists! It looks absolutely great (very snazzy central heating radiators!) and almost as though they could move in any day... cue flying pig. A superb example of what makes this car company great is why Simon decided not to have a posted lift. There were all the logical reasons, of course - the fact that a full ramped lift would hide more than was helpful, and that a two pronged one would be tricky with the Atom as there's no sill to speak of - but Simon's best reason for not getting a lift was that he couldn't find one to match the dove grey colour scheme! And from what Simon described, Rich Cox's glass doors to the workshop area should be a real treat! (not advertising - I don't benefit! Check out www.glassology.com)

Other news from yesterday is that subject to a couple of minor tweaks, Simon is in principle happy to sign a license agreement with the club for us to produce merchandise - finally! Expect stuff to be appearing this Summer...

I shall now go and walk the dog, followed by some intense staring at the car and tinkering and experimenting with getting the satnav to work with the autocom! Oh, it's soooo good to have the car back!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:18 pm

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D I can feel your exuberance Bruce.

Any news on the proof reading?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Ah... yes... well...

Simon and Steve have made notes, and Simon will be coming up to my place quite soon to sit ata a computer with me and go through the handbook amending and finalising. This will hopefully be towards the end of next month.... ;)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:04 pm

It's no good... the sky is crystal clear and bright blue. The sun is shining...

Bugger the tax... I'm outahere!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Wow! The thing is, you just forget the impact of that car on people. Every journey takes an extra 20% longer as people stop and stare and ask questions...

Things I'd forgotten:

Quite what a rush putting your foot down can be!
How everyone stares
How sideways it can go on cold tyres (especially in covent garden - sorry about that to anyone passing by who thought they were about to get flattened!)
What sheer bloody FUN it is!

It may be true that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, but it's also true that there's nothing quite like a joyous reunion!

sebby

Post by sebby » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Sorry I missed you yesterday. We were there until 12ish.
As usual Tom and Steve were terrific.
I went out when Tom tested the 300. WOW.
Rob, my mate, went out when Tom tested yours (I hope you don't mind, obviously he didn't drive it) Anyway on the down to North Perrott, Rob was talking about possibly getting an Atom in 4/5 years time. Immediately after the drive, he found it difficult to articulate anything at all. On the way home he was working out how he could buy one in the next 6 months.  ;D

Mitch Millett

Post by Mitch Millett » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:01 pm

He can buy mine in June when my new one arrives??