Ariel Atom Germany

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
tmwff

Ariel Atom Germany

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Is here anyone how has an Ariel Atom legaly registered in Germany?
I am thinking of buying one in Belgium and would like to know if there is a chance to get the car in Germay road legal. I would be happy if an owner get in contact with me. Thanks/Danke!

MonsieurX

Re: Ariel Atom Germany

Post by MonsieurX » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Same issue here regarding Luxembourg. From what i hear there is no EU certification available - but I also hear it is not impossible to register.

You have to register the car as "special build" or take the car to TUV to have it certified.

http://www.Ariel-Atom.de has cars for sale, sometimes with StraÃ?enzulassung but they are too expensive IMO...

Talk to them or Patrick in Belgium and ask them, they might know the procedure to get it registered in Germany...

tmwff

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks for you replay.
Unfortunately the German dealer in Zwickau is a pain in the ass. I get the impression from him that he doesnâ??t want to sell cars at allâ?¦ I was already in contact with Patrick in Belgium. He get the cars road legal in Belgium. But is this enough to pass the German TÃ?V?

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 pm

[quote="tmwff"]
Thanks for you replay.
Unfortunately the German dealer in Zwickau is a pain in the ass. I get the impression from him that he doesnâ??t want to sell cars at allâ?¦ I was already in contact with Patrick in Belgium. He get the cars road legal in Belgium. But is this enough to pass the German TÃ?V?

[/quote]

Sorry, I dont know German car legislation and it's not written in a compatible language  ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Tobias (dreamscape) is in Germany and bought RichardR's Atom last month.

It's was being converted to LHD/Ambidextrous at the factory, as far as I know, so he may have it by now.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm

[quote="Alec"]
Tobias (dreamscape) is in Germany and bought RichardR's Atom last month.

It's was being converted to LHD/Ambidextrous at the factory, as far as I know, so he may have it by now.

[/quote]

For the easy way, you need the EU certificate of conformity. With that, it's as easy as going to the movies. But i was told the AA doesn't have any [yet]. So you have to use the MOT V5 (if available) to pass the technical control. Without either, it's impossible AFAIK. With the MOT V5, you need a Special car registration and special procedures for small quantity builds + any special requirements that may be needed.

You should be able to find these on the web... Sorry but I can't help in German... Search keywords could be "StraÃ?enzulassung zonderes auto or pkw" but it could be different.

I found this:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/auto-imp ... 20752.html
If i read correctly, you pay 1000 EUs at a TUV center that will check the car...

Maybe you could ask on that forum regarding the Atom or the MOT V5...

A2TDI

Post by A2TDI » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 pm

All petrol vehicles build after the 01.01.2001 need the Euro 3 emission standard (which includes the EOBD port) to get registred in germany. The Rover and Honda engines fulfill at least Euro 3, but only in the MGF or the Civic. The UK build Atoms don't have the EOBD port, so they can't registred as Euro 3 vehicle. In case of a Hondata ecu (245/300), this is possible but very expensive. In case of a MBE ecu (160/220/275), this is impossible, because this is a motorsport ecu.
MK1 Atoms build in 2000 could be registred as EU2/D3 emission standard.

The Atom has only a SVA approval in UK, which isn't recognized in germany. You have to make a §21 approval callled "Vollabnahme". This includes a break test, a exhaust emission test and a noise test. Perhaps there is a datasheet for these three tests, because there are about 3-5 Atom registred here. This would save you a lot of money.
It is possible to get a special permission for a front foil numberplate an the missing headlight regulation (Leuchtweitenregelung) from the german "Landratsamt/Zulassungsstelle".

Another problem is the removabel steering wheel and the adjustable brake bias. I don't know whether the german TÃ?V examiner demands a back armament?

I do not know how Queck.de solved/went around this points.

Im interessted in an used Atom, but there are some points open.

I saw AustrianAtom's Atom in Hockenheim last sunday and decided, that the atom is a must have for me :)

Thomas
Last edited by A2TDI on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmwff

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm

With a COC Paper it would be easy to get the car registered in Germay. When I understand it correct, the Ariel Atom do not have COC Papers. It comes with an UK Registration Certificate what is not sufficient for the German TUEV. So you need a single approval for the car from the TUEV. It's right it will cost around 1k Euro. But I couldn't imagine what the TUEV will say when I come with an Ariel Atom to them. They used to work on Opel, VW, Ford and other borrowing cars.

A2TDI

Post by A2TDI » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 pm

The costs demand on the number of test. If there isn't any datashet für the emission standard, the costs are far away from 1000�.
But you can write to the german TÃ?V / Dekra or the KBA in Flensburg. They all have a database with datasheets.

Thomas

tmwff

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm

In the Emission test I see the smallest Problem. The Atom 3 has the EOBD port already. It should pass the emission test. The others points you mentioned are probably making more problems....
The car is already registered in Belgium (with number plates). Did this make it easier to get it registered in Germany???

AustrianAtom

Post by AustrianAtom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi,

it should be possible to get it legal in germany because its also possible to get it legal in Austria.

@A2TDI

How did it look on the Track? Did we talk to each other?

Markus

tmwff

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:31 pm

@AustrianAtom
Where did you bought the car? Direct from the factory?

A2TDI

Post by A2TDI » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:37 pm

[quote="tmwff"]
In the Emission test I see the smallest Problem. The Atom 3 has the EOBD port already. It should pass the emission test. The others points you mentioned are probably making more problems....
The car is already registered in Belgium (with number plates). Did this make it easier to get it registered in Germany???

[/quote]

EU law says, that every country has to recognize a registration in another country. But environmental law goes over EU law. So you have to fulfill german environmetal laws, but not the rest.
But this is only theoretical.

[quote="AustrianAtom"]
@A2TDI

How did it look on the Track? Did we talk to each other?

Markus
[/quote]

Yes, I was the guy with the smile from ear to ear :D

I have two photos and a Video for you.

Your Atom sounds nice, but a bit quiet. On a scale from 10 (GT3, Corvette, Leon Supercopa) to 0 (Yaris, Volvo, X-bow) it was a good 5.

Thomas

AustrianAtom

Post by AustrianAtom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi

Yes car is direct from Factory.

Markus

tmwff

Post by tmwff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm

@Markus
In there was no problem to get it legal in Austria...???
You have been one day after pickup of the car already on th track. Where did you run in the car?