Any Atom owners in Cape Town?????

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
John H

Any Atom owners in Cape Town?????

Post by John H » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm going there for 6 weeks soon and just wondered if any had been shipped out there. SOmehow I doubt it as they hammer u on import tax, but I just thought I would ask?
cheers

John Lloyd

Re: Any Atom owners in Cape Town?????

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes and a very good pipe bender who makes his own.  You could hook up with him and give us some feed back on his build and tells which one's better  ;D

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Yes and a very good pipe bender who makes his own.  You could hook up with him and give us some feed back on his build and tells which one's better  ;D
[/quote]

Had a very frustrating discussion with a friend tonight who decided I could get a new Aluminium Frame made up for my Atom for £2000. What do you say to that?

John H

Post by John H » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

[quote="Captain Atom (Mark)"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]

Had a very frustrating discussion with a friend tonight who decided I could get a new Aluminium Frame made up for my Atom for £2000. What do you say to that?
[/quote]
oi!!!!!!!!!!
fook off jacking my thread with your off topic nonsense. This one is about South AFrica, not bloody pipe benders
heh

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

There is one chap in Cape Town with one who I got in touch with before I went last year but did not hear back from him nearer the time.

My mate will take you out on track in his Elise if you like

Ben

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:35 pm

John Pest is in SA someplace?

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 pm

What is going on around here - the thread is back on topic  :o

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:50 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not sure that Al would be a great material for a frame. 

The low tensile strength of the metal would mean that you would need tubes the size of culverts to get the required frame stiffness/strength characteristics. 

On top of that the fatigue characteristics of Al might not suit the loading cycles that an atom would put on them.  You would not want failure at the wishbone attachment points after hitting 5,000 bumps!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 am

Dawie Joubert owns an Atom, but in Jo'berg I think.

He was going to be the SA distributor but I don't think that ever happened.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

John H

Post by John H » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

[quote="Mr.Toad"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The low tensile strength of the metal would mean that you would need tubes the size of culverts to get the required frame stiffness/strength characteristics. 

On top of that the fatigue characteristics of Al might not suit the loading cycles that an atom would put on them.  You would not want failure at the wishbone attachment points after hitting 5,000 bumps!
[/quote]
OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start yer own thread unless you want to talk about biltong and leathery complexions.

John H

Post by John H » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
There is one chap in Cape Town with one who I got in touch with before I went last year but did not hear back from him nearer the time.

Ben
[/quote]
that would be dead cool..............PM me his details and I'll give him a shout.
Wonder if I can hire a car to track over there.
I shall investigate.
cheers

skilly

Post by skilly » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:33 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="Mr.Toad"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start yer own thread unless you want to talk about biltong and leathery complexions.
[/quote]

Mmmmm Biltong  ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:48 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]
that would be dead cool..............PM me his details and I'll give him a shout.
I shall investigate.
cheers
[/quote]

Hiring interesting cars is not too expensive, not sure you are allowed to track them but how would they know ?  Will PM you his details in a moment.  Trackdays are about £20 in SA and you get some interesting machinery along.

Ben

John H

Post by John H » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:25 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="John H"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]
I shall investigate.
cheers
[/quote]

Hiring interesting cars is not too expensive, not sure you are allowed to track them but how would they know ?  Will PM you his details in a moment.  Trackdays are about £20 in SA and you get some interesting machinery along.

Ben
[/quote]
I've got a 1.2 Nissan Spaz Chariot for the time I am there, but sh1t motors are good fun on trackdays......as I have proved in my Civic a few times this year

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:22 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="John H"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]
I shall investigate.
cheers
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]
I've got a 1.2 Nissan Spaz Chariot for the time I am there, but sh1t motors are good fun on trackdays......as I have proved in my Civic a few times this year
[/quote]

Most of the locals drive Mk1 golfs, made locally and updated with a fuel injected engine, still somewhat slower than the Megane Cup I borrowed and speeding tickets are only £30