Tell me where to visit in the UK...

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
jon b

Re: Tell me where to visit in the UK...

Post by jon b » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:25 am

[quote="Monza"]
When you are in UK, the most beautifull place to visit is .... France !

If not, why do we see so much english people here ???? ??? ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Because they are on their way to Italy or Spain?

No, no - France is superb for driving through - absolutely wonderful.  The roads are generally wider, in better condition to those in the UK and seem to provide a better view ahead. Regrettably, it doesn't seem to have much else going for it apart from Paris which has nice histroy but absolutely appalling food.  You could stick your Atom onto the Euro Tunnel train straight into Paris for a few days - then take some of the country routes before coming back.  Just make sure you get secure parking as the locals like to bang their cars into one another  :-\ The UK has become obsessed with speed traps but you can easily buy hardware/ software that'll tell you where all the speed cameras are.  In france - if you get caught with a speed camera detector - they'll prob throw you and your car in jail  ;D
Last edited by jon b on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:32 am

Hmmm  :-\ Liverpool?

I never thought of using that one in the Uxbridge English Dictionary thread.  ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:49 pm

[quote="wisp"]
Hmmm  :-\ Liverpool?

I never thought of using that one in the Uxbridge English Dictionary thread.  ;D
[/quote]

Go on then, do your worst.  :laugh:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:57 pm

[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Monza"]
When you are in UK, the most beautifull place to visit is .... France !

If not, why do we see so much english people here ???? ??? ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Because they are on their way to Italy or Spain?

No, no - France is superb for driving through - absolutely wonderful.  The roads are generally wider, in better condition to those in the UK and seem to provide a better view ahead. Regrettably, it doesn't seem to have much else going for it apart from Paris which has nice histroy but absolutely appalling food.  You could stick your Atom onto the Euro Tunnel train straight into Paris for a few days - then take some of the country routes before coming back.  Just make sure you get secure parking as the locals like to bang their cars into one another  :-\ The UK has become obsessed with speed traps but you can easily buy hardware/ software that'll tell you where all the speed cameras are.  In france - if you get caught with a speed camera detector - they'll prob throw you and your car in jail  ;D
[/quote]

Completely agree about French roads (and the appalling food in Paris - unless you pay through the nose!)

Some points, though...

a) He'll have US plates on the car so not to worry about speed cameras in the UK.

b) He'll be visiting Paris as part of the Alpine tour

c) He'll be doing lots of those great French roads on the way to Paris and from Paris to the coast.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 am

Is there any advantage to having my extra time before the club trip vs. after it? Any other scheduled events I should attend / avoid? How about the weather?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 am

Also, when I've traveled across the US, I usually didn't make hotel reservations in advance - I'd just show up at the front desk and inquire about a room for the night. Hotels were rarely full. And if the weather was bad, I'd just let the front desk know in the morning that I'd be staying an additional day.

Is this something that would work in England / Scotland? For some reason I have the feeling that things might be more "scheduled" there.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:18 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
Also, when I've traveled across the US, I usually didn't make hotel reservations in advance - I'd just show up at the front desk and inquire about a room for the night. Hotels were rarely full. And if the weather was bad, I'd just let the front desk know in the morning that I'd be staying an additional day.

Is this something that would work in England / Scotland? For some reason I have the feeling that things might be more "scheduled" there.
[/quote]

I am sure this approach will work as well and is ideal when traveling solo.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Depends what type of accommodation you're thinking of staying in ...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London