Should there be more individual country boards?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...

Should there be more individual country boards within our AtomForums?

Poll runs till Thu Apr 27, 2045 12:18 am
You may select 1 option

View results

John Lloyd

Should there be more individual country boards?

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:46 am

As the international community grows should there be more country specific boards (Areas) within the AAOC Forum?

For example:

French Atoms
New Zealand Atoms
Belgium Atoms
China Atoms
Dubai Atoms

(edit: Changed to add: 'areas' and 'within the AAOC Forum' Added an option  'as needed".  Check option to allow people to change their votes)
Last edited by John Lloyd on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Re: Should there be more individual country boards?

Post by Driver » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:51 am

Boards to me means a separate forum all together.  If you mean a separate area within the AAOC Forums then I would say yes, but only once we have a fair number (10+ people) from the area in question actively participating here. Just like when the North American area was aded we'll have fair warning when it's neccessary. Just have to get to that tipping point first.

But that's just my opinion.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:54 am

...and it's one that I agree with.

I think this should be driven by the countries - they know (from the US experience) that if they want their own, they only have to ask...

I'm surprised that the French long thread hasn't branched into other threads, but that's up to the posters - they can start other threads if they wish, and if the title is in French, people will know that the content is likely to be in their language.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

If I was honest I was mainly thinking of one for the French.  The only other reason for other boards would be for "Guests" or new owners from overseas to ask questions specific to their country.

Monza

Post by Monza » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 pm

The froggies are satisfied to have only one topic here ! ;)
We have also another forum in france for the Atom, so only one main topic here seems to be the best thing.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 pm

[quote="Monza"]
We have also another forum in france for the Atom, so only one main topic here seems to be the best thing.
[/quote]

You'll be upsetting Bruce with your revolutionary ways!! He'll have the guillotine out for you Monza.  ;) ;D

But the comment does rather prove my point we were trying to keep one world wide Atom Forum.

Monza

Post by Monza » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:59 pm

yes, and consider that there is less than 15 Atom in France ...
I'll call my friend Sebastien Chabal to discuss with Bruce, he is even more wild than him  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[quote="Monza"]
[/quote]

You'll be upsetting Bruce with your revolutionary ways!! He'll have the guillotine out for you Monza.  ;) ;D

But the comment does rather prove my point we were trying to keep one world wide Atom Forum.
[/quote]

The other one started four years ago - before this Forum was created (but after pistonheads). I occasionally look at it, but one of the threads is 99 pages long!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 pm

If We Fragment

1.  China

If one million Chinese buy one Atom apiece, that would account for less than 1/10 of one percent of the total Chinese population.

The Chinese are intelligent, industrious people with a ancient, noble civilization.  They will want answers for their questions Atomic.  Veteran posters on this forum have person/years, person/decades, who knows: even person/centuries of experience with the Atom.  We can help these new members.

We old members can become so blase about the Atom; new owners, all around the world, will be fired up with enthusiasm about their experiences Atomic.  Their sharing of those experiences would help us.  They will have new ideas about how to improve the Atom, how to improve the communication and harmony of the Atomites Assembled.  Their sharing of those insights would help us.  They can help us.

If we fragment into multiple, US-only, UK-only, France-only, China-only, independent-URL fora, how can we help each other?  In China's case, five languages spoken in China and Taiwan can legitimately be called "Chinese".  Each language is spoken by multiple tens of millions of speakers.  New Atom owners in each of those languages need help from us, and can give much to us.  If we fragment, how can we help them?  How can they help us?

2. The World

And that is just one country.  There are over 200 countries existing on Earth at this moment.  Within those over 200 countries, myriads of people groups, speaking over 6.900 languages (source), each of them owning and operating Atoms, bring the promise of rich, multi-faceted, excited, exciting, global community glowing in the light of the Atom.

If we fragment into over 200 seperate fora, how can the veterans' hard-won expertise be shared with the newbies?  How can the newbies share all their new-fired enthusiasm and insights with us grizzled, jaded old-timers?  Add to, defining, carrying on and raising the ideals of Atom-ness?  How can we be warmed and energized by the power of the Atom if we fragment into over 200 URL's, 200 separate fora?

Am I against separate fora?  No!  But this one forum, to which all could belong, all Atom owners could call home.

Jacob

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Obviously Engilish / American is causing a language problem.  Driver and Jacob, I want all the worlds people to come to this forum.  I am asking if each country should have its own "board" as you have an area called "American Atoms".  Sorry if the question causes confusion.

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:45 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Obviously Engilish / American is causing a language problem.  Driver and Jacob, I want all the worlds people to come to this forum.  I am asking if each country should have its own "board" as you have an area called "American Atoms".  Sorry if the question causes confusion.
[/quote]
Ah!  I understand now.

Yes, John, you are right: it is an English/American problem.  Thank you for so charitably clarifying it and not calling us names, accususing us of unworthy motives, or any of the other "usiual" Internet ways of handling things.  I am most grateful.

I am sorry for misunderstanding you.  I understand now.

Please forgive me.

Penitently yours,

Jacob

P.S.  This does point to an incipient problem, endemic to all multi-national endeavors: language.  I shall post a thread on that topic, with the kind permission of the Atomites Assembled.  JP :-)

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm

I'll fix your post (for clarity).  Right now it's sitting at 2 yes to 4 no.  Added additional option "as needed". Hope you don't mind John.

Anyway, off to Beaumont this AM to see the GrandMothers, ones not doing too well. So 5 hours there and 5 back in a single day is going to suck but I want to see her. Will check back tomorrow.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:49 am

I dont think its necessary to be honest.

The exception to this is to provide supplier specific information.
Atoms ex UK c.f. Atoms ex Brammo USA c.f. Atoms ex China
Mainly as these will have different issues.

I dont think, for example, that we in NZ need a separate section.
I am more than happy posting in the existing sections.

If anything, perhaps the technical section should be divided into engine, suspension, brakes, dash, lights... etc.

Perhaps as a sticky topic, someone from each region (UK and USA) could post up the various options available for the region so that newbies can see what is available and what the various options are and which are needed for specific uses.

It took a long time for me to juggle the available funds versus the bits I wanted versus the bits I actually need and its something that keeps coming up.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:46 am

I don't think there should be any country specific boards only language specific, event location and factory specific.

That is to say there should be the existing English Boards and a French Section as many Europeans, not just those from France, speak bettter French than English.

There are already factory specific areas under technical for Ariel and Brammo models.
There are also Events UK + rest of the World, that could be split up, and Events USA.

IMHO the American section was a mistake and as a result it has not encouraged our friends in the USA to participate globally. Despite a bit of ribbing there are still topics of general interest that could apply to anywhere that are started in that section.
A current example is the "Ridiculous Attention" topic that applies everywhere in the world (General Topic) but wrongly was started in the American Section.

China on the other hand will need it's own forum as it should no doubt be tied up with thier racing league for the car in China. It would think it might also pose far too many problems with regard to coding, layout, language and moderation to be part of this forum.

My Layout would be..
General
    - French
    - Photo Album

Technical
  - Ariel
      - MK1
  - Brammo
      - US Registration

Events
  - Europe
  - UK
  - USA
  - Oceania

Race and Track

Clubroom
  - France
  - UK
  - USA

Non Atom and Off Topic
  - Daft Games and Jokes

Wanted/For Sale
  - Europe
  - UK
  - USA

Forum Tips and Tricks
  - Forum Related Questions

That way you can create more Child Boards for local or specific content (as required) under each main ATOM TOPIC instead of country specific areas that just become disorganised loads of lost information.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 am

[quote="Monza"]
yes, and consider that there is less than 15 Atom in France ...
I'll call my friend Sebastien Chabal to discuss with Bruce, he is even more wild than him  ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Monza, if Chabal is your friend then you should be the man to see for the best tickets to the final yes? Of course I am sure England will be in the final ;) I saw him pitch side at the 'friendly' between England and France last month and that is one mountain of a man. I am sure he will do good things for France in the World Cup.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.