Australians thinking of Atoms - Look at the FX rate

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Todka

Australians thinking of Atoms - Look at the FX rate

Post by Todka » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:08 pm

Hello,

I know it's not certain when, or even if the Atom will become available in AU.
If your an optimist like me, and are planning on buying quite a few USD in the next year or so to get the atom, consider the current AUD/USD rate.
At over 0.82 USD to the AUD, its made the Atom more affordable. Or in another light, its bought you a few extra options for free.
Could be worth locking the FX rate in around here.
Of course if the AUD strengthens further, this will prove to have been a bad decision.....
And if the Atom never arrives, well then you just have a lot of USD then dont you  :)

Food for thought. And we have plenty of thinking time on our hands....

Meanwhile, I just bought a Ducati 1098 to pass the time.  :pop:

Cheers,

KK

Re: Australians thinking of Atoms - Look at the FX rate

Post by KK » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 am

[quote="Todka"]
I know it's not certain when, or even if the Atom will become available in AU.
If your an optimist like me, and are planning on buying quite a few USD in the next year or so to get the atom, consider the current AUD/USD rate.
At over 0.82 USD to the AUD, its made the Atom more affordable. Or in another light, its bought you a few extra options for free.
Could be worth locking the FX rate in around here.
[/quote]
I am not sure whether the licensing agreement between Ariel and Brammo allows Brammo sell the car to Australia. As far as I have understood other posters on here, the licensing agreement will only be valid for sales in North America (i.e. USA and Canada). Ariel in the U.K. will take care of the rest of the world.

This would conclude that the relevant exchange rate to watch is the one between AUD and GBP.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 am

Klaus is right.

(had to happen eventually eh Mr Xbow)

The importing of Atoms into Australia (and NZ) is done by Open Wheeler Imports.
If you buy an Atom from Ariel they will direct you to OWI.
I agree with Klaus, I believe Brammo only have rights to sell to USA/Canada.

However you can import the car privately from USA or the UK. Although there are rules and regs around doing this too. You should look into doing this before you spend the money.

Also the Atom is not road legal in Australia, so it will have to be a track-only car.
There has been some mention of the Australian goverment changing this... but I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you.

OWI have been extremely helpful and for my Atom they will organise everything, containering, shipping, insurance, decontainering, meeting NZ vehicle regulations, dealing with import duties and taxes... everything.
Makes it easy from my end. I just pay the money.

J

Todka

Post by Todka » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Hello Klaus, Apolloyn,

Actually the Australian complianced atom is expected to be Brammo built, so the relevant FX is AUD/USD, currently 83.2.
As you say, OWI are the importer. The car is Brammo US built to AU spec, with noise problems and a change of Brammo engine holding the project up. We patiently await these issues to be resolved so we can enjoy the Atom in Australia on the roads. I believe track cars are available now, but I am only interested in a road car.
If Andrew Mackie is lurking he can clarify for you.....

I get the Ducati on Saturday  :)  Happy days!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:47 pm

[quote="Todka"]
Hello Klaus, Apolloyn,

Actually the Australian complianced atom is expected to be Brammo built, so the relevant FX is AUD/USD, currently 83.2.
As you say, OWI are the importer.
[/quote]

My understanding as well is that Brammo will be the supplier of cars to Australia.

Ben

KK

Post by KK » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:33 am

[quote="benyeats"]
My understanding as well is that Brammo will be the supplier of cars to Australia.
[/quote]
Do the Aussies not drive on the wrong (i.e. left) side of the street and therefore require the steering wheel on the wrong (i.e. right) side also? If that's the case - and please excuse my ignorance if the Aussies actually drive on the right (i.e. right) side of the street - would it not make more sense for Crewkerne to deliver cars?

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:22 am

Brammo offers options for either side of the car. Just like the UK factory.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 pm

There is no "wrong" side of the car with an Atom. It's all good!

KK

Post by KK » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:24 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
There is no "wrong" side of the car with an Atom ...
[/quote]
Not sure that's the consensus on here ;)

[quote="Captain Atom"]
... Anyway the reason for the post was to say I have applied for an automatic toll booth payment pass for French roads. I understand having a harness on and being the wrong side of the car means paying is a real pain.
[/quote]
And that's even a quote from a Brit ... ;D

bodnet

Post by bodnet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:22 pm

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
There is no "wrong" side of the car with an Atom ...
[/quote]
Not sure that's the consensus on here ;)

[quote="Captain Atom"]
... Anyway the reason for the post was to say I have applied for an automatic toll booth payment pass for French roads. I understand having a harness on and being the wrong side of the car means paying is a real pain.
[/quote]
And that's even a quote from a Brit ... ;D
[/quote]

There's a way round that.....  ;D

[quote="Bruce Fielding"][...]having become so pissed off at having to unbuckle and stand up to grab peage tickets, the time I handbrake turned just before the barrier and went through backwards thus enabling the collection of the ticket from the driver's seat, and then 'J' turning to face the right way again the other side - something I'd always wanted to do at a peage.[/quote]

Bod :)
05 Red 160 in Bristol, UK
MG ZT-T V8, Smart ForTwo...
Oh yeah and the day job involves 2x 2250bhp V16 quad-turbo MTU diesels! :)

OWI

Post by OWI » Sun May 27, 2007 1:41 pm

I should check the international forum more often!

Yes, Open Wheeler Imports is the dealer for Australia (and New Zealand). As Todka indicated, the car is road legal in NZ but is currently only available only as a track car. We're undertaking compliance on the vehicle to make it road legal in all states of Australia which has been a long and frustrating process.

To join the mailing list, visit www.openwheelers.com.au and in our reply email you can receive details on how to join the deposited waiting list. Waiting list members receive regular updates on compliance and the remainder of the mailing list will be notified when compliance has been completed (there's no point getting Australians excited about the Atom when we can't sell it for road use).

Regards,
Andrew Mackie
Managing Director
Open Wheeler Imports

wisp

Post by wisp » Sun May 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Andrew, I see your back to 1 post. What happened to owiandrew?

We noticed another NZ car for sale in Wellington that you never mentioned. How many others have you secretly sneaked into the country?  :laugh:

Good luck with your battle against the Australian officials. It must be coming up three years that I'm aware of you waging the war. Last Friday an Australian car owner told me it's the hardest country in the world in which to get a car complied. He has an Australian built car that he can only register in Victoria. Gee.. and the guys in California think they had it bad.  :-\