Introduction...

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
IDSmoker

Introduction...

Post by IDSmoker » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 pm

This is probably a relatively familiar story around here... 

Happened to catch the Top Gear episode featuring the Atom at just the right time.  Since I am expecting an insurance payout in the near future for an accident I was in over a year ago, I had been considering how I was going to treat myself.  Not to mention how I was going to fill the great big hole in my life left by the loss of my beloved Honda Valkyrie (a 700lb., 100hp, and 100ft/lb torque motorcycle, for the uninitiated) that I lost in the accident.  Since the damage I recieved in the accident has left me unsure of whether I'm still physically able to make the long cross-country motorcycle trips I so enjoy, I have been considering getting a convertable sports car instead of another motorcycle (it helps that there really aren't any new motorcycles available that can measure up to the Valkyrie).

Right now, having done a lot of searching and reading, it looks like the Atom may be the perfect replacement!  But I do have some concerns, and was hoping to get some answers to a couple of questions.
  • You must be this short/narrow to ride the Atom rollercoaster
    Since I am 6'5" and nearly 400lbs. I'm wondering if I can actually fit in the Atom.  I noticed that the guy on Top Gear who drove the Atom isn't exactly a short lightweight, but does anyone know how big he really is?  I noticed that the "Configurator" offers optional Recaro seats that I'm nearly certain are too small, but what about the standard seats?
  • Yep, she's a quick 'un, but just exactly how strong is she...
    Given my girth, is the base engine going to be underpowered?  Not sure yet how much I can afford to spend on this toy, but would hate to end up with something that is going to struggle getting my large butt up some of the hills around here, since I had that problem years ago, before I got my Valkyrie.
I realize that both of these questions could be answered with a test drive of the Atom.  Unfortunately, I understand that the only Atoms around at the moment are UK Atoms and the US Atoms will have different seats and engines making a test rather pointless right now.

Does anyone know, even approximately, when the first US Atom will be available? 

I am lucky enough to be within a long days drive of the US manufacturer, and will probably make it a three-day weekend trip once there's a good reason to go.  I just need to know when to start making those plans.

benyeats

Re: Introduction...

Post by benyeats » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Hello and welcome to the board.

The reason a few of us got Atoms was that we don't fit in 'the other track car'.  I am 6"6 and over 20 stone (whatever that is in lbs) and fit perfectlys, could do with the seat dropping a little but much better than most cars I have driven.  Not sure how the US seats will differ, but I have observed that in general US citizens are on average 'bigger boned' than us malnourished Brits so it would seem odd if the US cars have less interior space.

The model I have is a MK1 Atom 120 which is significantly less powerful than any of the US spec cars (but probably lighter) and it will pull me up hill and down dale no problems.  Even with a passenger it still goes like sh*t of a shovel.

As others will advise, go for it

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:08 pm

OK. The US cars are different, and you can fit different seats, but at 400lbs you wouldn't fit a standard European Atom seat (Brits, 400lbs is around 28 stone or 182 kilos - or put another way, a touch more than a third of the weight of the car). I know this because a 'heavy set' guy tried to see if he could fit in my car and he couldn't. It's also a beast to get in and out of at the best of times. Best talk to Brammo and check what they're offering.

Given the power to weight, I would go for the most bang you can get!  Apparently 1400bhp is  theoretically possible!

Also bear in mind that the ride in an Atom is a bit of a boneshaker - even at the softest settings. If this would aggravate your injury that wouldn't be good.

Oh, and I can't let that 'no competition to a Valkyrie' slip by without a plug for Hinkley's finest - the Triumph Rocket III - 2.3 litres, 140 bhp and 147lb-ft of torque! And it'll make you feel positively svelte!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

IDSmoker

Post by IDSmoker » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:45 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I am encouraged to hear that there is enough legroom for a 6'6" driver.  I've checked out other sports cars only to find myself having trouble keeping my knees out of the way!

On the weight issue, I thought that I would probably need to actually climb into a US Atom, before I could be sure that the car would fit me.  Hence the original question of when Brammo is expected to finish the first couple Atoms, assuming they are designating one of the early ones as a 'demo'.  Like I said, it would be worth using a 3-day weekend to drive over to their plant to check things out for myself, before I place my deposit.

BTW, as service to any other abnormally tall or wide people reading this, if you are looking for a daily driver, I can highly recommend the new LX platform vehicles that DCX are putting out.  The models currently include the Chrysler 300c, Dodge Charger, and my current driver, the Dodge Magnum.  Roomiest car I've seen in quite awhile!

I do like what I've heard of the tunability of the EcoTech 2.2L, I'm just hoping that the hp/tq numbers that Brammo's quoting are conservative and not optimistic.

My concern about my injuries (most of my ribs and both my shoulders were broken) has more to do with being afraid of how I'll feel after putting in a 500 mile day on a motorcycle.  Since I don't intend to do any long distance/endurance driving in the Atom, I doubt it will be an issue.

Given that most of the members of this forum seem to be British, I was wondering if anyone would rise to the bait I dangled and mention the Rocket III! <grin>  They are extremely nice bikes, but I bought my Valkyrie as a naked bike (the only way they came at the time) when they first came out in 1996, and ended up spending a lot of time and money setting it up for the kind of road trips I prefer.  If/when Triumph decides to come out with a 'touring' edition (with a minimum of windsheild and hard saddlebags) I'll definitely take another look.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:58 pm

Welcome!

Brammo's power quotes are indeed quite conservative.  They come from the full sized cars they power, like the Cavalier.  When the computer's re-mapped for the Atom's 1000 pounds, it should provide more. 

--Matt

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:47 pm

I have a question regarding fitment as well.  I'm 6'1", and weigh ~250lbs.  I kinda doubt that my size will be a problem, but it would be nice to hear a confirmation from someone just to be sure.

I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in an Atom yet, so I need to rely on someone else's info at this point.

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:54 pm

M. Woolery : Atom will be Ok for you, no problem.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:19 am

I'm 6' 4" and weigh 220lbs. The Atom is positively spacious compared to a Crate or an Elise...

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:18 am

During my talk today with Craig at Brammo we touched on this. The standard seat in the US Atom will be the same 1piece design as as the ones in the UK. The Recaro 2 seat setup is optional (more money). The Recaro's also may not be as attractive an option if you are going to be using it in all types of weather.

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:56 am

is there any kind of padding in the standard seats? - it does not look like it judging from the pictures

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:23 am

From my understanding it's the same as the UK one. Which is a hard plastic right?.  I guess you could have it upholstered to add some padding, do a custom moulded seat insert or Rhino-lined which would give a it a little softer rubberized and more importantly textured anti slip surface. Rhino-lining may seem low tech but it works in some apps and can be done in colors...

I hear they can even inject dye into carbon fiber to make it any color you want. A CF tub with tint maybe? And, NO, this is not something Brammo has mentioned, I just know other people have done it on thier vehicles in custom car shows. Whether the part was all carbon fiber or Fiberglass with a little CF weave I don't know. Couldn't hurt to ask but I bet it'll be MAJOR bucks.

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:27 pm

wonder how comfortable this is ??? since I want to use it just for fun at least 70% of the time I wonder if there are any weather resistent vinyl options out there - time for some more research ...

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:38 pm

We use Pegasus memory foam on the seats
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Produ ... RecId=1059
It's 1 inch thick.  Works well.

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:15 pm

What a men ! ... that is exactly what I was looking for, looks weather resistant too - thanks

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:48 am

When you actually sit in the seat, you might find that it's a LOT more comfy than it looks. I can spend quite some time (a whole trackday) in the seats without padding. But when I feel padding would benefit an especially bony passenger, I use a cut to shape foam camping pad and pop it on the seat - price around £10 and it works a treat.

There is one that's been uphostered - I'll see if I can track down the picture...