Who has the best Atom roads?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Bruce Fielding

Who has the best Atom roads?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 pm

What constitutes a great Atom road?

If it's smoothness, then here are some personal impressions:

I've driven on highways in Australia, the western states of the US, France, Germany, Belgium and Holland, and on backroads in Germany, France and Washington and California States, as well as in New York City.

Washington State back roads are sensational surfaces, but there's a lot of weighty metal coming the other way...

German Autobahns are lovely, mostly, and Dutch ones are nice as are French ones

Belgian motorways are a bit rough, to be honest - almost as bad as Oregon and Californian highways - especially the nearside lane which are bloody terrible I presume because they're constantly beaten up by overweight trucks.

French back roads are mostly not great, with some noteable exceptions.

Australian main roads are in general pretty good, but the backroads are a nightmare.

And you can forget New York City for an Atom - you could lose on in some of the potholes there!

Any differening opinions or other roads to comment...?

What are Middlle Eastern roads like?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

RichardR

Re: Who has the best Atom roads?

Post by RichardR » Tue May 23, 2006 11:57 pm

I put my money on the Alpine roads - as long as they're well surfaced. Problem is often congestion though.

A notable memory being the never-ending switchbacks on the road from St Moritz down to Lake Como.

redace

Post by redace » Wed May 24, 2006 7:14 am

The roads in New Zealand are pretty good.  Large range of terrain combined with very small amount of traffic is a very good combination I think.  Pity I'll never get to drive my Atom there ;D

Here in South Wales some people think any open-top car is alien so what they make of the Atom I can't wait to see.
(Cue Atomfun ;D ;D)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

What constitutes a great Atom road?

[/quote]

One that's empty of other traffic.  All roads are great to drive, in that a new road is challenging and you old favourates are great to go too fast along.  There is a road between Godalming and Haslemere that's about 7 miles long and I know it's going to kill me. I am too familiar with it and therefore do not give it the respect it deserves.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 am

The reaction of those lucky enough to witness an Atom in South Wales is basically the same all over - it's a 'jaw dropping' experience that you just have to experience. It makes you smile.

When do you collect yours? I'm guessing you've arranged your trip to Ariel? Don't forget the camera not that you'll forget such a memorable event!

tiger

Post by tiger » Sat May 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Come over here! On the Jura mountain (Swiss side), in Saint Cergue.
I don't know about the Atom but motorcycles are getting crazy here! Smooth roads and many turns.
Last time I crossed 2 Speedster challenged by 4 motorcycles, the cars couldn't make it, but an Atom may be another story??! ;D

Tiger

David Ryan

Post by David Ryan » Sat May 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Bruce ! You may need to look a little closer to home ! The majority of roads in Wales are superb in terms of features and smoothness. Uncrowded during the week and offer stunning scenery.

If we could just get rid of the cameras and the police they would be perfect !

D.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:49 pm

[quote="David Ryan"]
Bruce ! You may need to look a little closer to home ! The majority of roads in Wales are superb in terms of features and smoothness. Uncrowded during the week and offer stunning scenery.
[/quote]

I'll second that - one of the best hooning sessions I've ever had was with David!

David Ryan

Post by David Ryan » Sun May 28, 2006 6:52 am

Summonses to follow in the post :police: ;D

David Ryan

Post by David Ryan » Sun May 28, 2006 6:59 am

Just a thought...

I am going on a little hoon tomorrow (Monday) from my place to Criccieth on the Welsh coast. Leaving at a reasonable hour in the morning and returning in the afternoon.

Route looks lovely and will take in the Snowdonia National Park. Overnight stay available at my house tonight and or tomorrow.

Anyone interested?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 am

Have to complement the French on the excellence of their roads for Atom-friendliness. 90% of all the roads we travelled in France - from A to D type - were fantastic fun and beautifully prepared. I'd happily recommend a holiday on them. As for Wales, the abundance of bored policemen as noted here - a lot - would put me off...

We had no trouble with french cops - even in Paris. And the I bet the Welsh police don't look like this (apologies for the poor quality of my camera phone - she was rather atttractive in her police uniform!):
Attachments
Image(20).jpg
Image(20).jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 3193 times

NoAtomDane

Post by NoAtomDane » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:43 am

Should you for some reason come to Scandinavia you'll find that the roads i Denmark and Sweden are not too shabby. And I'll bet you'll get a lot of attention since not many Danes have seen an Atom. Even the "other track car" is a rare fish in these parts.

(And as an added bonus you get to drive through Germany=no speed limits on the motorways)
Last edited by NoAtomDane on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:53 am

Funnily enough, we were discussing a bridge theme for next year with this being the target:

The Oresund Bridge from Denmark to Sweden...

When would be a nice time of year to do it in an Atom?
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoAtomDane

Post by NoAtomDane » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 am

I would imagine that weatherwise Denmark and southern Sweden is pretty much the same as the UK, so anytime from June to august should be fine. Since the holliday (traffic) season start in the second half of June I would recommend the first half of June. However the weather could be a little dicey at that time of year.....

Another thing..you should come via Jutland because you then pass another bridge that is even bigger than the one to Sweden. The bridge across Storebaelt is about 18 km long and the pylons on the high end of the bridge are 254 m high. It's quite awesome.

Last edited by NoAtomDane on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoAtomDane

Post by NoAtomDane » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:51 pm

.....and should you come in force and perhaps decide to make a track-day out of it, Sturup Raceway is just about 20-25 miles from the Oresund Bridge.  http://www.sturupraceway.com