Who has the best Atom roads?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
bodnet

Re: Who has the best Atom roads?

Post by bodnet » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm

If you're doing the Gotthard in the dry, find the cobbled old road from the summit to Airolo, aka Tremola Pass!

Bod
05 Red 160 in Bristol, UK
MG ZT-T V8, Smart ForTwo...
Oh yeah and the day job involves 2x 2250bhp V16 quad-turbo MTU diesels! :)

atom-ant

Post by atom-ant » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:49 am

Don't know about the best but certainly the most challenging.
Time to throw a U.S. road into the mix:

138 turns in 11 miles.

http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_ridemeposter.html

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:33 am

I thought all roads in US were stright.  :roflp:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Ebbetts Pass is awesome and the road surface is unbeatable

http://scenic4.org/the-route/the-driving-experience/
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:47 am

As I understand it, tail of the Dragon is a magnet for law enforcement during the summer. The road is on just about every clubs 'bucket' list, and police issue tickets by the gross. Try spring or late fall. The visitor traffic is way down, and the police have moved on to richer pastures :wize:

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:48 am

Its about time traffic cop got a real job and left the drivers alone.
Bet they dont get tickets.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 am

Just back from Tuscany. It's not just the beautiful landscape but the roads are absolutely great. Not the best quality but in the best taste i could imagine. Little roads are just laced with curves and the highways are just, well, like driving in Spa!

Alas, loads of traffic (including clueless tourists) and the villages that don't stop coming and the road conditions that require TLC make it a challenge to keep a nice pace... ;)

The pavement can be billiard quality at some time, or can range from great to treacherous with so many bumps, camber drops or dimple rises due to the scorching heat. Not taking it seriously could send your atom flying off the road. Not to mention how the width of some curves can be slimmed down by rocks and passing trucks...

And you have to watch for the constant flow of bikes coming from behind, or in front of you passing oncoming traffic; the way italians cross the line anytime for no reason or pedestrians who think they can have that imaginary sense of priority. The funniest was this lady on a bike (with high heels) and happily talking on the phone with one hand while driving in the middle of the road totally oblivious to the traffic! It's amazing to see how this system works while in France or England they have to go to such extreme measures to keep road kill down!  :roflp:

The other problem you might encounter is the gain in weight due to the excellent Tuscan food! :)

Cop situation was pretty good, hardly any speed controls - but you do see a lot of warnings via panels. Watch it when you go on the beach strips in the evening where the hot boys show off their Ferraris...

We also drove to Porto Fino (in Liguria) and it's drop dead gorgeous but the road is so loaded with traffic and so narrow, it's not exactly fun to drive - but a must see! I'll post a link of the drive later in the week...

We drove the family bimmer 530 break and it was fun but in an Atom, it should be an absolute atomic blast - the lack of AC might make it a challenge to keep that helmet on though!!! Can't wait to drive down there again with the Atom!  :tu:

Osky

Post by Osky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
The pavement can be billiard quality at some time, or can range from great to treacherous with so many bumps, camber drops or dimple rises due to the scorching heat. Not taking it seriously could send your atom flying off the road. Not to mention how the width of some curves can be slimmed down by rocks and passing trucks...

And you have to watch for the constant flow of bikes coming from behind, or in front of you passing oncoming traffic; the way italians cross the line anytime for no reason or pedestrians who think they can have that imaginary sense of priority. The funniest was this lady on a bike (with high heels) and happily talking on the phone with one hand while driving in the middle of the road totally oblivious to the traffic! It's amazing to see how this system works while in France or England they have to go to such extreme measures to keep road kill down!  :roflp:
[/quote]

Welcome to Italy!!!  ;D ;D
Many Italian's drivers believe they are alone on the road ...  :vroom:

On the highway, be carefull to the Tutor (a special speed camera that calculate the average speed between 2 points)!  >:(

Ciao
Osky

PS: next time, try the SP65 (Futa pass and/or Raticosa pass), from Tuscany to Emilia Romagna and vice versa!  :checkeredflag:

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Last month. I had the opportunity to experience one of the most beautiful roads I've had the privilege to drive. This road was recommended to me by Atom dealer, Franz Forman. It's the 89A between Prescott and Jerome, Arizona. Starting in Scottsdale, the journey took about 6 1/2 hours all told, with one (unnecessary) fuel stop.
The road surface quality is unmatched, barely a ripple most of the run. There are genuine 15 Mph corners, and, although few passing lanes, there are plenty of lay-by areas that the locals are happy to use when an Atom appears in their rearview mirror. By far the most dangerous aspect of the drive is the view...! It is spectacular and distracting. Jerome is a re-built mining town on the side of the mountain, with lots of pubs, restaurants and amenities. There is significant elevation (and temperature) change from Phoenix, with the road up to 5000' above the valley, in the pines. This is a bucket list road, in my opinion. :vroom:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 am

Just read through this old thread.  Perhaps, on the new website we could have a section dedicated to Atom roads then subsections by country?

I suppose it's obvious really, but as a new Atom owner, it's become even clearer to me, since getting it, that your enjoyment of the Atom is very dependent on the road you're on.  I've trawled through various forums and websites to find recommended roads near to me, and further afield.  However it's also become clear that a road recommended on say a bikers site, or a classic car site, isn't necessarily good for an Atom.  So we need our own, and where better than on the Ariel club site?  It can be built up with members contributions from all over the world.

Flying Phil thanks for your recommendation.  I might be travelling down that road later this year, but unfortunately I can't bring my Atom with me :)