Who has the best Atom roads?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
cshama

Re: Who has the best Atom roads?

Post by cshama » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Bruce

If you had travelled 30 miles north from New York City where I live you would have come into contact with totally smooth traffic free curving mountain roads (ie Bear Mountain). But I agree NYC is pretty brutal on the shocks.

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 pm

May not be the best Atom road but perhaps the fastest?

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

As long as you pay your speeding fines, er I mean dues in advance you can go as fast as you want on a public road in the USA.  Not too scenic from the video footage I have seen but still worth the opportunity.

300+kph SSC vid on streetfire.net:  Silver State Classic

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:51 pm

You can go as fast as your car is spec'd for. The SSC and the Big Bend Open Road Race both run on public highways and if you exceed your max speed for the class you are tech'd for they WILL disqualify you. They're serious about it too. With that said the SSC is best for max straightline speed as it's fairly straight. Before the 200mph avg speed was met they had several blowovers as cars acted like planes in the unlimited class. Definitly agree that short of the salt flats (which isn't exactly a road) it's likely the "fastest" road in America - legally at least. A client of mine was involved in the hunt for 200 back then. Fully stripped out Corvette, ground effects, etc... They ran both events, preferred the SSC because it was straighter.

The BBOR is better if you like the long sweeping turns. I drove the road at speed some years ago. An Atom should have no problem getting into a class that will put it near it's max speed. One of the Grand Touring classes would be very nice. GT2 or GT3 (max 140mph), or GS even (max 168mph). Roll bars are the rub as they expect a "competition approved" one and as many have said here the Atom one is borderline for complete rollover protection. With GS the only additional stuff is some clothing items. Extinguisher in both classes.

Big Bend ORR site: http://www.bborr.com/

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:43 am

[quote="redace"]
The roads in New Zealand are pretty good.  Large range of terrain combined with very small amount of traffic is a very good combination I think.  Pity I'll never get to drive my Atom there ;D
[/quote]

You can can book a tour in an Atom in New Zealand

http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/superclas ... chatom.htm

new link - http://www.superclassicautotouring.co.nz

You just have to lookout for the wildlife....
Attachments
Sheep_Crossing_064.jpg
Sheep_Crossing_064.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Last edited by wisp on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 am

Stop it! You'll get JC straight on the phone calling his travel agent...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:15 am

Better watch it as well, aside from JC and the animals what happens when MrWoolery discovers this? The roads won't be safe over there for sheep or Atoms. ;D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 am

Looks like a Wellsh Leisure Centre  ;D

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:37 am

[quote="Driver"]
Better watch it as well, aside from JC and the animals what happens when MrWoolery discovers this? The roads won't be safe over there for sheep or Atoms. ;D
[/quote]

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!  SHEEEPS! Image
Last edited by Mr.Woolery on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:47 am

[quote="MrWoolery"]
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!  SHEEEPS!
[/quote]
Not Australian by any chance are you?

max340r

Post by max340r » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 am

The roads at the French Cote d Azur.
Have to agree on that one. The hinterland roads are fantastic and empty from french cops  ;)
It is my playground (almost) everyday...

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Just rub it in.. A little more salt in the wounds can't hurt....  What happens the one day a  :police: decides to drive out there and your carving the corners?  :o  ;)  :angel:

max340r

Post by max340r » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am

Right... fair enough, might happen  :-\
Then I'd speak a very fast English and pretend I'm here on holidays, give my Australian driving license and passport and cross fingers (happened to me a few days ago...)  ;D

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm

we were discussing a bridge theme for next year with this being the target:
LOL!  Given the global politacal climate of late, I must wonder if your choice of words have caused our freindly little board to be flagged by countless intelligence agencies the world over!  :o

Never travelled Europe or much of anywhere outside the U.S> - but I've been EVERYWHERE here.  The canyon roads in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and parts of many surrounding states would be pretty hard to beat, and in most of those states listed, the police are more forgiving than one might expect!  Still reason to keep an eye out, but I've been pulled over at some pretty darn irresponsible velocities and been given warnings or greatly reduced citations.  A big exception is also a big draw, though.  The Virgin River Gorge, a little sliver of I-15 cutting through a corner of AZ as you pass from UT to NV.  17 miles of mostly constant radius 55-mph posted very long, high speed esses, with a few short straights and several looong sweepers breaking it up.  At the right times of day (or night, hehehe) traffic is very light....  And while polive presence there is fairly uncommon, they do a major "crackdown" every so often and positively flood the place with patrols.  And hat's when they're being nice!  Less common but still to watch out for, there will be nary a cruizer in the entire canyon - but 10 or 12 waiting at the mouth at either end, and an airplane overhead!  I've yet to be ticketed through there in any car I'e owned, but I know more than a few who have, and when the AZHP decides to target that place, they are not lenient, lol.

And of course, the U.S. of A is home to the Tail of The Dragon!  While I'm sure there are plenty of roads offering substantial fun all over the globe, that one os famous for a reason!!

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 pm

This is a question, because I do not know the answer:

Has anyone driven his/her Atom over the Futa and Raticosa passes in Italy?  How were they?

Jacob :-)