No Atoms in Denmark

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
NoAtomDane

No Atoms in Denmark

Post by NoAtomDane » Tue May 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Hello everyone :)

In my search for ever more information on the Atom I came across this excellent forum :tu:. I must admit that it has anything but satisfied my thirst for information on the Atom. Not because it lacks information..no, no, no, on the contrary, the more I read the more I wanted. And the more I wanted to get my hands on one.

This has left me in a state of utter frustration since I live in a country that seems to be Atom-hostile. Firstly it is not possible to register an Atom in Denmark on some pretense that it is not crash-testet....so what? I bet it is no less safe than a motorcycle. Secondly in Denmark we have special taxes on cars which means that IF I could register one I would have to pay a tax of no less than 63 pct. of the marketprice in Denmark including dealers fee and VAT. That would bring the cost of a 220 to around £55,000.

I have now come to the conclusion that if I am to have an Atom, I would have to emigrate to Sweden. It wouldn't be to much of a hassle though since Sweden (Malmö) is only about 35 km from where I live now.
Last edited by NoAtomDane on Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoAtomDane

Re: No Atoms in Denmark

Post by NoAtomDane » Sun May 21, 2006 9:53 pm

I went to Sweden today apartement hunting and my moving to Sweden seems to becoming more real. That again would mean that I get an Atom that I legally can drive on the roads ;D.

I plan to get an Atom as the motorcycle I'm never going to get but I may not be able to finance a new 160let alone a 220 for the moment, so my question is whether a 120 or a 140 (mark1) would be an adequate entry level Atom? Can an Atom be converted from RHD to LHD and how much would that cost?

Flemming

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Sun May 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi Flemming

You seem pretty determined to get an Atom -  a good thing!

With regards to meeting crash safety standards, the Factory has engineered a number of solutions to meet various countries legislation eg. Collapsable steering assembly.

There are plenty of LHD Atoms around, and I believe the Factory will produce one for you. On the price list an ambidexterous chassis is listed at £300+tax - however I dont know if this means LHD/RHD or gearshift on left/right!

Best to give Simon a call at the Factory.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun May 21, 2006 10:41 pm

They can be converted but requires chassis weilding if they don't already have the amidextrous option (which is left and right hand drive brackets fitted).  I would imagine/guess this would be £500 or so.

My car has this option I think but I can only see where the pedal box would go, not sure how the steering gear would be attached which would of course be a problem !

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 am

There's your opportunity to 'trade up' Ben :)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
There's your opportunity to 'trade up' Ben :)
[/quote]

Not sure I could take the weight increase :)

Ben

stocky

Post by stocky » Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am

Hi Ben,

here's another potential buye rif you decide to sell soon!  :tu: