newbie - Trying to import car into Australia NOT FOR ROAD USE!

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
ringo

newbie - Trying to import car into Australia NOT FOR ROAD USE!

Post by ringo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm a bit new here so thought i'd start out by saying hi !

HI!!

I am looking to import an Atom into Australia - I know this is a well trodden path and I figured there is probably room for one more person to give it a go. I have read the previous posts where people have tried to register the Atom for use on the road, and this seems to not be the way to go about it (as much of a pity as that is)...

I should start out by saying I DONT WANT TO REGISTER THE CAR! This will be a track and collectors car ONLY (I will be taking on track days etc, not entering it into formal competitions as yet).

As such I think I can neatly side-step the ADR issues, however there are lots more issues that I still need to work through - notably which forms I need to fill out to get my approvals...

I have found this link http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/EligibilityCriteria_2.aspx#eight which goes through to the different import schemes that are available - one of which is listed as Rally Use/ Closed Circuit Racing.

Problem is, to grant import approvals under this they need to see entry into entry slips and details etc and I have a feeling that they will not accept track days etc. as a reason. So - how did the Supercar Club and other get their Atom into the country. I have see the Atom V8 at a wheel shop located in Sydney, so I know they exist, but how did they get in!

As mentioned before - I will NOT be registering these cars on the road, and they will be trailered to all track events and days etc. - can someone please help! I've been chasing one of these cars for ages and have come to the realisation that it will never be a road car (pity) but I am hoping there is a way it will not destroy my chance to own one of these great cars!!

Thanks in advance!

Ringo

meladdo

Re: newbie - Trying to import car into Australia NOT FOR ROAD USE!

Post by meladdo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:15 am

I am very new here - But what are the regulations for importing a box full of car parts? I mean the fact they can be assembled into a specific car is irrelevant I would have thought...might be a way???

PS my uncle used to race in classic events in Australia, was well known on the race scene years ago, His name is Gordon Stephenson he raced a Large beast of a Camero (Holdan) I think and an Alpha GTV6 - I think he also used to race a Mustang too, yes sure he did or he was racing with it.......not sure.

I am hoping to go and see him soon in Albany -  400miles ish  south of Perth  ;D

Wonder what bits could go with me................;-)
Last edited by meladdo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:08 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
I am very new here - But what are the regulations for importing a box full of car parts? I mean the fact they can be assembled into a specific car is irrelevant I would have thought...might be a way???

Wonder what bits could go with me................;-)
[/quote]
Cunning plan baldrick....., but the car once assembled would be illegal under the law......bit like assembling a marijuana farm from all the plants you'd just happened to grow! Image
The only way is the legitimate way.  :doh: whatever that may be??
Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Post by ringo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 pm

*heads out to the local garden store and asks for new exhaust system and supercharged Honda engine - oh, and some of those hydroponic lights, I want to grow my own Atom please*

LOL

thanks all for your help - there is bound to be a way to make it happen... falling short of that I can just wait 20 years until the Australian government classify them under the rolling "pre-89" regime... I figure they chose to pick that year because that is about how far the local manufacturing industry is behind...

ringo

Post by ringo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 am

[quote="meladdo"]
It can be done :tu:
[/quote]

How?

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 am

As I said Parts! Look into it!

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:21 pm

As I remember, in Canada, a fella did it by buying parts from businesses in Canada, who had purchased the parts from businesses in the U.S.. Can't quite remember who supplied the U.S. businesses, but the paper trail doesn't go back that far.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:08 am

Why don't you contact the factory and see if you can buy an ex race Atom Cup Car.

They are all Atom 3.5 245's (but could be supercharged later if thats what you want).

They will be able to provide all the evidence of the cars being use in closed circuit racing as most aren't road registered.

They also have the stronger / safer chassis for track use.

Hope this helps  :vroom:

Cheers

Stuart