Using/keeping Atom in France with all the regulations that go with it

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Grumpybeard

Using/keeping Atom in France with all the regulations that go with it

Post by Grumpybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

Hi all,

Just like to say hi to all members of this wonderful forum, a great resource of info and general banter by the looks of it!

Although Im visiting Caterham today to check out their R500 my heart has always been with the Atom, I've desired one for years! SoI Im very likely to take the plunge this week and put an order in for a 3 (300), and dont mind the 18 month as Im partially using it as a "carrot and stick" to get me through work this year and next, something very much to look forward to!

I do have a question regards driving/keeping the car in France where I hope to move to the Rhone Alp this year, close to Chamonix/Geneva.  I dont believe the car is type EU approved etc, so I dont think I can register the car in France.  So I imagine that leaves the car being kept on a UK plate. This leads to insurance issues - I've had "expatriate" insurance in the past which allows me to use a UK registered car for more than the std 30 days in Europe, but Im not sure as yet if they would insure such things as Atoms this way?

Grateful if anyone can advise with the legalities and any insurance company recommendations before I place my deposit.

Oh, and SwissAtom (Clive), I'd love to go out for a spin sometime with you as I note you're near Geneva, I'll cover the petrol and lunch! ;)

Thanks all in advance

Hedge

Re: Using/keeping Atom in France with all the regulations that go with it

Post by Hedge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

Hi and welcome!

Re your insurance; I'd give Richard Eggar a call. Quite a few owners use them now and their pouplarity is increasing, not least because they're very knowledgable about Atoms - in stark contrast to some (many, in fact). I'm sure they'd be able to give you a steer, at the very least.

One of the original creators of this Club now resides in or near Geneva: Bruce Fielding. Not sure his car is over there (he moved recently from London) but in terms of picking brains, there's not many better to do so from....

Good luck with the wait. It's tortuous!! Just buy one in between, you know you want to  ;D

Cheers, Hedge

Grumpybeard

Post by Grumpybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Hey Hedge, thanks for the reply and the info. Hopefully Bruce will pop along with some guidance.

If anyone just happens to be aroundabouts the Midlands near Leicester I've actually never set my eyes on an Atom, must make that journey down to the Factory soon!

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Get along to the next Trackday at Bedford and I am sure u can get a pax ride.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

swissatom

Post by swissatom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Grumpybeard,

Many of the insurers will give you 90 days in Europe as standard now. I have just found two (Egger and Haggerty) that will then increase this at a reasonable cost to a 365 day green card. However, it is possible to register the car in France and there are a number of French Atoms. The French dealer is on this forum as Monza and will be able to help you further.

I am in the process of selling my current Atom but should be back in Switzerland with my new one in late April. Let me know if you will be around then as I am just the other side of a fun mountain pass from Chamonix.

Forget the crate, their "old school English styling" just looks wrong on the mountain roads out here.

Regards Clive

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey J-P

I don't actually keep any UK cars in Zurich for very long - I travel back and forth from the UK in the 'dogmobile' and my current car is on UK plates - my next will be on Zurich plates..

My insurers allow me 90 days abroad.

I would suggest your best bet is to check with Monza (also a J-P!) and/or Clive (Swissatom) as they have much more experience with this than me - I just asked in my local health food shop for lead free pasta, so what do I know! (I confused Ble with Blei, and French with German... this living in 'foreign' is so confusing!)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Grumpybeard

Post by Grumpybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey Clive,

You'll be in Martigny or thereabouts then? I'll be moving somewhere close by, as I've been offered a job in Lausanne.  I've had dealings with Italsure and Stuart Collins insurance companies in the past for my "normal" car for getting it insured for more than the std 30/90 days if that helps anyone, (for eg Stuart Collins will insure a UK plate car against a UK address provided the car itself spends at least 11 months of the year outside the UK, and this covers you for the whole of Europe- although I dont know if they'd insure an Atom, will need to check).  Congrats on your impending pickup of the new car, I'll def give you a shout and further towards the summer, enjoy!

Hey Bruce, thanks for the tip in getting in touch with Monza, will do thats great!  Yep, been to 3 different french courses and still struggling, my brain just doesnt work that way. 

Right, off to check the R500 this afternoon, probably only to do the sensible thing and check the competition, as I think my cash is already with that "company" down in Somerset!

Thanks guys, great forum!

Grumpybeard

Post by Grumpybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Right Im back from the Caterham showroom, and my mind is made up........ Atom it is!  Although I have no doubt whatsoever the Caterhams are extremely potent cars, I just cant get away from not liking it's boxy "arse" end- that long bonnet is lovely, and would be a pleasure to polish after a weekend blast, but I just dont like the aesthetics of the rear.

On the other hand, there isnt any part of the Atom design in general I dont like, and I feel for that kind of cash (around 45k) the Atom would be a more pleasurable, special and exciting ownership prospect.

So once I can clarify the insurance aspects with regard to keeping/running the car in France an order shall be placed:)

As far as Im aware its a 3k deposit that's then made upto 50% of total cost 8 weeks before.  Have any of you guys ever put more down as a deposit, Im considering this as I'd prefer to know quite a sizeable chunk has been paid for, rather than sitting in the bank at risk of being spent and frittered away on other stuff!

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:45 pm

correct choice there................crate is fugly compared to the atom

if you dont manage to blag a spin in one soon, i will be  in chatel and generally whizzing around the alps  for a few days  mid june

gladly give you a spin

incidentally, whats wrong with your beard, not ginger is it  ;D ?

cheers

justin 
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
my current car is on UK plates - my next will be on Zurich plates..

[/quote]

Is presidential orange 220 being replaced?
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

swissatom

Post by swissatom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Justin,

PM me before you come down to the Alps in June if you fancy meeting up for a drive and lunch as that is very close to me.

Clive

Grumpybeard

Post by Grumpybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Clive thanks for the names of Egger and Haggerty rgds insurance, I'll give them a call in the morning for quotes.

Bruce, you getting another Atom and getting swiss plates for that? If so I take it they are road legal in Switzerland and thus you can get "domestic" swiss insurance?

Thanks for the offer of a passenger ride Justin thats awesome of you, I'll PM you closer to June matey.

All I need is for Monza to come along and clarify the French side of things ;)

Oh, and firm up my draft spec- so far its as follows:

Supercharger upgrade
Limited slip diff
Polished manifold/silencer
Alcons front and rear
Handbrake system!
Alu dampers adjustable
Two piece spring kit
Shift light steering wheel
16" wheel package powdercoated wheels
Footrests
Chassis in either gunmetal or black
Stainelss fixings
Aero screen
High level brake light
Locking cap
12v feed
Fitted intercom
3" belts with pads
Clear lenses

Probably with blue or green plastics.

Not sure on the aero screens and aerofoils.

Anything I've missed or overlooked?

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Aero screens are a must.
Remote brake bias is useful, cheap too.
Maybe get another set of panels? You can change the look of your car in minutes.
Personally not convinced with the need for a handbrake. Also eye-wateringly expensive (and ugly) with AAR.

Lovin the spec otherwise, looks cool  :tu:

Crates don't do it for me, either... ;D
Cheers, hedge

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 pm

[quote="wasp"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not necessarily...

The Volvo is though...

...by a...

...I can hardly bear to say it...

B

M

W

The new F11 5 series which comes out in October.

Company policy...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="wasp"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not necessarily...

The Volvo is though...

...by a...

...I can hardly bear to say it...

B

M

W

The new F11 5 series which comes out in October.

Company policy...
[/quote]

I am sure that you will find the near 50/50 weight distribution and the Idrive most err rewarding
(Actually I know it will be seriously good but, well, you know.... I thought that you had set BMW to come up as rabbit under offensive words) ;)
Atom 4, Gr Yaris