Australian Atom - are we getting close?

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
xr_ated

Re: Australian Atom

Post by xr_ated » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 am

Buying a track car and getting ADR compliance sounds like a big risk given OWI have been attempting this for years.

As stated in earlier posts, what are the issues preventing ADR compliance? 

I would hate the fork out the $120k for a car and then find out the issues are related to a major compent eg the chassis that can't be modified.

Todka

Re: Australian Atom

Post by Todka » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:52 am

Thank you. Here is the limit of what I know. All my information comes via Andrew and the OWI forum, so I only know so much and do not have access to actual test results.

I understand that Ariel released the official CAD model under suitable legal protection to OWI for testing.
FEA testing was done by a qualified person at a mainstream automotive manufacturer.
The summarised result was deformation at seatbelt anchorage points. These may or may not be the same anchorage points used elsewhere, so real crash events may or may not be relevant. I am not an engineer or safety expert, but I can conceive that real crash events may not have tested the car under the same force even if we are talking about the same anchorage points. I dont know the answer to these questions, but I am pretty sure that Simon knows the detail. According to Andrew, Simon has been sent the actual test results and involved in suggested modifications to the frame to strengthen it in such a way that also does not greatly impact their manufacturing process.

The issue for me has been that there are significant delays, measured in months, between updates from OWI that indicate efforts to overcome this have stalled.
Andrew has now stepped back from managing the project and appointed Angus to run it, so hopefully some new enthusiasm will make an impact. Either that or we (the 25 or so people that have paid deposits) give it up and move on to the next thing.

It would be nice to know what Simon's view on it is. Does someone on this forum have access to him and can ask what is going on?
If the AU tests reveal a weakness, it would be in everyones interests to have the issue discussed. If it's just an issue for AU cars and not a real safety issue, it would stil be good to get the problem out in the open to try and expedite a solution, because despite the delays, I still want the car badly. It looks like a lot of fun.

I have no "proof" to offer outside this, and would sincerely appreciate any assistance in getting to the bottom of the issue.

My understanding of the major outstanding issues are 1. Chassis test failure  2. Noise levels.  Its unlikely you can bypass 1. at any reasonable cost alone. I am probably missing a lot of detail here though as a full update has not been made for some time.

Wisp, thanks for the advice. I have a Ducati 1098R for the track and enjoy that a lot. For me, its an Atom on the road or its nothing.

Cheers,

Number9

Australian Atom - are we getting close?

Post by Number9 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 am

I haven't checked the Open Wheeler website for a while now but just logged on in case there had been any developments to the atom becoming road registered in Oz. There is now a section to calculate likely atom costs in Australia, including customs duty, GST, state duty (stamp duty) and OWI compliance plate fee. Whilst they state that compliance has not yet been completed at least some steps appear to be being made

apollyon25

Re: Australian Atom - are we getting close?

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 am

Sorry.

I emailed OWI a few weeks ago (03/02/09) and received:

"ADR-compliance Atom still a wee way off"

xr_ated

Post by xr_ated » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm

I've noticed open wheeler's web site has become just a holding page.  What happened to the links and info?

I hope this isn't a sign that ADR compliance got too hard

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 pm

During that same email conversation they were going to update the website.

It has had Atom2 references for ages... if the waiting list was 18months when I ordered mine, and I have had my car for just over a year and they were transitioning to the 3 when I ordered it...

CapsicumDreams

Post by CapsicumDreams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:51 am

Hi guys,

OWI are no longer the agent or distributor for the Atom in Aus/NZ - that role is now being handled by International Motor Group (IMG). They can be contacted at http://www.internationalmotorgroup.com.au/ and +61 (0)2 9648 2778.
IMG will be beginning the compliance process again, so there will still be quite some delay before you get a road-legal Atom, sadly. They seem to have some experience with importing Nissans, but I can't see any evidence of having worked with cars with no type-approval at all.  :-\

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:20 am

Bruce hinted at some good news... though I doubt that THIS would qualify.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Agreed. Nothing learnt in that exercise.  ::)

Start compliance again? That's exactly what OWI did instead of following on from the work Hyper had already done. Look where it's got them.

Also Kiwis are sick of Aussie companies holding the agencies for this country. Who wants to buy a car from somebody 1000's of miles across the "ditch". Car salesmen don't rate high in Kiwi culture but neither do Aussies.  ;D  If you want to sell Atoms properly in NZ then you need to appoint a NZ company as Ariel's direct representative.

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:32 am

Jesus H Christ - one step forward, five steps back!
>:(
Give the dealership to a Kiwi! We can actually get stuff done!

But no, once again, ANOTHER agent will expend inordinate effort and money in making the Atom road legal in Oz, neglecting the fully compliant and existing NZ market.

Yes the NZ market is "small" by comparison... but at least we are buying cars... and not just promising people compliance and then getting out of the market...

Grrrrr
>:(

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 am

The Oz waiting list is quite long, ain't it?...
Cheers, Hedge

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 pm

[quote="Hedge"]
The Oz waiting list is quite long, ain't it?...
Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

Depends who you ask or want to believe. On the 7th December 2006 OWI sent an email out to their Kiwi mailing list claiming "delivery of 50 cars per annum into Australia, to start late next year." When I posted it on here I was asked to take it down. I never did receive another news update email from them after that.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="apollyon25"]
But no, once again, ANOTHER agent will expend inordinate effort and money in making the Atom road legal in Oz, neglecting the fully compliant and existing NZ market.

[/quote]

Exactly!!! The email I mentioned previously even said "Given our Australian activities we've haven't been as active in promoting the Atom locally.." What a crock of sh..

Of course you know the f'in idiot that's been spending his time and money raising the cars profile to get more owners/club members by doing all the car summer shows plus a TV motoring show interview. Maybe IMG would like a bill for time and expenses.

BTW, Thanks again for your help with the interview. I must chase Terry for a DVD for each of us.
Last edited by wisp on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 am

I emailed Terry a while ago - he was trying to compress the video to get it in the dvd...
Hes due for a chase up though.

You do know I have a couple of large banners dont you? An AAOC and an Ariel one...
I'm pretty sure I posted pics up...
I even got a spare set (though the colours arent right so they offered them to with a big discount)

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 pm

They probably won't let the Atom on the road in Australia because they think it's just another one of these.  ::)

http://www.git.com.au/~theedge/customerbuggies.htm
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)