I have a plan

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
Flying Phil

Re: I have a plan

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:50 am

I think when Chip brought the first one into Canada, there was some partial assembly, or re-assenbly involved, before he got it on the road. I'm not up to speed on Ontario law, however, ....! When I first ordered mine, Brammo offered a partial assembly or 'turn-key' car... I think to meet certain U.S. state requirements. I don't know if they ever delivered any partial assembly cars?!
Last edited by Flying Phil on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1632

Post by Orion1632 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:31 am

The dealer for Australia is:-
Open Wheeler Imports
[/quote]

Unfortunately they are still trying to get the Atom into Australia because the silly aussie Design rules are too tough. So no they are NOT dealers since they can't get you a car. sob.

So If I got an Atom, took the engine and wheels off..... and got it sent to Australia .... does it count as a kit car?

Orion1632

Post by Orion1632 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:35 am

And thanks for the info on how to get my location into the profile. And may I say how lucky you guys are for owning an Atom. Sob  :doh:

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 am

[quote="Orion1632"]
So ....  is it possible to get Ariel to sell me an Atom in a kit form, and then I can assemble it in Australia and get it registered?

Did Ariel sell the Atom in kit form in the US?
[/quote]

Brammo did provide some cars that needed construction finalized by the owner . I brief, this was a requirement for one state where the car needs to gain a special certificate, of limited issue.

I would have thought a similar path could have been adopted in Oz to get the car registered as an ICV (individually constructed vehicle). However I would be surprised if OWI had not investigated this and found it not feasible, hence not being done currently.

Orion1632

Post by Orion1632 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 am

I emailed OWI about getting it in as a kit car but they said that Ariel didn't do that. I might try contacting Ariel directly next. I do wonder how much has to be disassembled in order to get the car in as a kit car?

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:10 pm

But one shipped into NZ, disassemble it far enough to comply, ship it across to Oz and reassemble it from the 'Kit'.  :tu:  ;D
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 am

Not sure how it works in Oz, but up here, to import as a kit car, it has to be approved as a kit car by Transport Canada (bless them). If it's not on the approved kit car list, you"ve got about thirty seconds to ship it south again, or it's off to the crusher (... I'm not kidding >:()

xr_ated

Post by xr_ated » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:12 am

[quote="Flying Phil"]
Not sure how it works in Oz, but up here, to import as a kit car, it has to be approved as a kit car by Transport Canada (bless them). If it's not on the approved kit car list, you"ve got about thirty seconds to ship it south again, or it's off to the crusher (... I'm not kidding >:()
[/quote]

That is a bit harsh.

I think the rules here for kit cars depends on the individual states.  I'm sure to register a kit car in Queensland you have to submit the design for approval, then have the car inspected at key points during construction. 

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 am

Up here, Transport Canada regulate the international and inter-provincial borders, but once it's in your garage, it falls under the individual provincial regulations.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:34 am

[quote="Flying Phil"]
[/quote]
Remind me to never move to Canada then.  :D

Oz is not that bad. You can import Atoms to Oz, no problem. There are a couple there already that are used as track cars. You just can't legally drive them on the road.

[quote="Alec"]
But one shipped into NZ, disassemble it far enough to comply, ship it across to Oz and reassemble it from the 'Kit'.  :tu:   ;D
[/quote]

Maybe that's not a silly idea, Alec. Although there must be more than that that is keeping the Atom off Aussie roads. What's more is I doubt that a DIY would also get road registration. If they came to NZ or even went to Oz directly and were assembled in a Australian factory you would probably have success.

IMO, without having researched it fully, Aussie officials would look more favourably at the Atom if it was built there. They do tend to protect their own automotive manufacturing industry. Australia might need the equivalent of TMI even if it were set up as an "assembly only" factory. Plus the car needs to be an Australian version, same as Brammo did the US version with Ecotec and twin seat. That way they can incorporate the things that are needed to meet the ADR.

C@ter_ham sell cars in Oz but it is a specific Australian model. You can choose to get a self-build car but this can only ever be used on the track. If you want to have a road legal registered 'Seven' then you have to get one that is built and tested by qualified engineers in their Melbourne factory.

Get the picture?

This is from the Australian website...
Can I choose between a self & factory built car?
Having your car built and tested by qualified engineers in our Melbourne factory ensures your C@ter_ham is finished to the highest quality, able to be registered and driven away. Unfortunately due to Government regulations we are not able to supply cars in component form for use on the road. However Caterhams for competition use can be supplied in component form or fully factory built to your specifications for track use only.

Orion1632

Post by Orion1632 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:25 am

well if you build your own car then you can get it registered as long as a licensed engineer clears it. My mate at work drives a home built clubman, and another drives a PRB clubman. see here for details

http://www.vic-clubmans.com/wiki/index. ... quirements