Private Import into Australia

There are Atoms rockin' all over the world...
G-man

Private Import into Australia

Post by G-man » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:12 pm

I am an Aussie currently living & working in Europe.  I will be returning to Australia in 2+ years so have some time up my sleeve.

In Aust I used to compete in club sprint races with my Impreza WRX Turbo & I see that the Atom might be the next step up in affordable performance, as well as meeting my criteria for having a well handling, fast & unique car.

I want to get moving on this soon, by either placing an order in the UK, in Aust or starting to seriously shop on the 2nd hand market.

1) Would buying one in Europe and then taking with me back to Australia ease any of the import road rules?
2) I also know it would save some customs duty, but how much?

benyeats

Re: Private Import into Australia

Post by benyeats » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:52 pm

G-man wrote:
I think it only saves if you have owned the car a certain amount of time.  My former boss took his Porsche 968 back with him having owned it a good while, possibly 2 years+ and still had to pay import duty.

Ben

schuey

Post by schuey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:38 am

As someone who looked into the same thing I can tell you a little bit of what I know. I think you're going to be to be able to do it given you are living there for that length of time. It can be done under the 'Personal Import Scheme' and there are certain conditions attached to it but if you meet these you've got a pretty good chance of having a car successfully registered.

From what I can gather you have to have the car meet standards which aren't as strict as new cars sold here but there are still conditions to be met.
Here's a link which might help you get started.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/publicat ... _vsb10.pdf

owiandrew

Post by owiandrew » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:36 am

Hi,

We can assist you with this - email to the following address, obviously replacing ' at ' with '@':

owi at openwheelers.com.au

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Mackie
Managing Director
Open Wheeler Imports Pty Ltd
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Unit A16B, 2-4 Central Ave, Thornleigh NSW 2120
Office: +61 (0)2 9875 9090
Direct: +61 (0)2 9875 9091
Fax: +61 (0)2 9875 9099

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:00 am

What's the latest news, Andrew?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

owiandrew

Post by owiandrew » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:24 am

Hi Bruce,

Nothing for the forums yet, sorry, but we're on the home straight for Australian compliance. When we can tell everyone more, we will.

Cheers,
Andrew

stocky

Post by stocky » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am

benyeats wrote:
G-man wrote:
I think it only saves if you have owned the car a certain amount of time.  My former boss took his Porsche 968 back with him having owned it a good while, possibly 2 years+ and still had to pay import duty.

Ben
Shouldnt be that way!

G-man

Post by G-man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I have not emailed yet but I decided on a BMW for the moment as it had a roof and was a little more practical for the European weather as I wanted to use it to drive to work each day.
Its still something I want to do though, so I will indeed keep this option in mind.

G.

PS:  I am already on your mailing list and am keen to see Atoms on the road in Aust.

dolsonlelan

Post by dolsonlelan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi guys I know this is an old post but I searched "customs in Australia" here and I saw this. I just want to ask if you know any other companies that provide service in this pandemic?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I have shipped my Atom (and other cars) backwards and forwards from Cyprus many times.

I have always used Andrews Shipping who are located in Enfield North London (they have a website) and have always had excellent service from them and they also have experience with shipping an Atom as mine has been shipped 6 times by them.

I'm sure that they could give you a reasonable quote for shipping an Atom or Nomad to Australia!

I would suggest that if you decide to go ahead that you ship the car using a shared secure shipping container and do NOT be tempted by the lower cost of a RoRo!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)