Insurance

A of D

Insurance

Post by A of D » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Hey guys

I'm joining the exclusive club of Ace owners next month when my build should be complete (it's one of the Ace of Diamonds, but I went for the girders I just love them!)

Struggling to get any sensible insurance quotes, though, despite a pretty much perfect history, garage storage and 3 other bikes. What do you guys do?

Thanks

Hedge

Re: Insurance

Post by Hedge » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:06 pm

I struggled with insurance for the Ace. I ended up here:
https://www.msminsurance.co.uk/

Based in Bishops Stortford, very knowledgable about all Ariel products. They were about the only ones I could find willing to insure the Ace (at the time, 2016).

Good luck.

Cheers,
Hedge

Christiangeuter

Post by Christiangeuter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Have you tried Classicline Insurance?

https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/

Badders

Post by Badders » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

They're not easy to insure by any stretch. I had mine with Bennetts for a few years, who have a number of Aces on cover now. Unfortunately, this year any loyalty went out the window (despite them borrowing the bike for the NEC show) and they are no longer competitive.

Christian mentions Classic Line above. I have a couple of cars insured with them, and recently my Ace as well. They are nothing short of wonderful to deal with, and very helpful. I cannot recommend them highly enough. The manager/owner is a biker too, and great to talk to. Give them a go.

Best of luck.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 am

I'm wondering why the bikes are difficult to insure. Is it because they are rare? Valuable? Not enough claims history?
I'm often tempted to buy an old classic bike back that I once owned, value would be the same but much rarer, would I find the same problems?

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 am

It's an odd one, but I suspect it comes down to cost + repairability.

If you drop an Ace there's a very good chance the frame will get badly scratched or worse. And unlike plastics on mainstream bikes we know that's not cheap or easy to replace.

Add into that the cost being ~two to three times that of a mainstream bike and I think you're into problems.

Now add in the rarity and most insurers won't know of it, nor have a profile or know of costs/risks... so again, less likely to want to insure.

That being said, I don't know what other people's bike history/experience is like, given the above I'd strongly suspect if you've no recent experience and no NCB you'll really really struggle.

A of D

Post by A of D » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Got sorted with MSM, not a bad price but still pretty high considering the sub 2000 miles I will do each year. I’ve got classic line insurance on my TVR and I would agree that they are really easy to deal with, I’ll check them out at renewal.

Thanks for all the replies!

m mcgillivray

Post by m mcgillivray » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:33 pm

I have my Ace insured with Bennetts’s.
Two bike policy. NCD 9 years.
5000 miles per year.
All track ,bike tracker fitted, this was stipulated when first insured by Bennetts’s.
Last year £400 for the two bikes , be interesting to see the renewal which is due in March.
Any idea if the above mentioned companies do dual policy’s.
Possibly lower insurance due to geographical area, (Aberdeenshire).
Love to have a meet up , just a bit too far .
B76828BD-7D45-470C-B54F-AD1FC136F892.jpeg
B76828BD-7D45-470C-B54F-AD1FC136F892.jpeg (966.48 KiB) Viewed 1247 times