Road tyres and wheel combo!

The place to discuss all tracked Nomad stuff
Jerry

Road tyres and wheel combo!

Post by Jerry » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:16 pm

I don’t see myself doing much off road stuff, but very early days yet.

Just want to tap into the experience of this forum, how do the 18inch wheels with road focused tyres compare to the 15 inch 50/50’s. Reason I have the 15 inch Geolanders which seem like a fantastic compromise.

Footnote: the car is awesome and so glad I persevered and bought one. ;D

nfcf

Re: Road tyres and wheel combo!

Post by nfcf » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:43 pm

For purely road driving it just depend on how you like the car to feel. 18in wheels will feel more precise than the 15in (sharper turn in etc) because of the smaller sidewall and any road focused tyre will have more dry grip. Personally I enjoy the 15ins and geolanders for the road as it makes the car more fun to slide drive.

On track I'd recommend some 18ins with more focused rubber as the geolanders quickly shred themselves to pieces.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:54 pm

I'm with ncfc.

There are times when I have wanted a bit more stopping grip on the road (https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17565), but I actually really like the 15" A/T set up that I have.

It would be a handful on a track I am sure, but for everyday twisty B Road driving, the feedback on grip levels is wonderful. Plus, as ncfc said, you soon get to explore the chassis compliance once you break traction.

The 'compromise' also means you can hook a random left turn when you see a farmer has left a gate open ;-)

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Handful on track you say :)

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:12 pm

That was my experience on track with the 50/50 tyre as well. Great fun (if you don't get black flagged for drifting) but I found the rears took a lot of punishment. I suspect you'd only get 4 days from a set of tyres if you rotate them front/rear.