I tracked my Nomad

The place to discuss all tracked Nomad stuff
Karl V

I tracked my Nomad

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

The rears were dead flat and the fronts toe in about 2 degrees.

:OT:

Karl V

Re: I tracked my Nomad

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm

It was a single track - a bit narrow in places. The surface was quite rough but the Nomad performed faultlessly.

The horse coming the other was a bit of a surprise!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 pm

For fun, I called the police and they found it. It was in my garage.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Seriously though, I'd love to hear from others who've taken on other cars on track days.

I must confess, I was pushing the Nomad at Devon Dash to keep up with my sisters in their Atoms. It felt so planted and eager for more. I loved it!

Top speed though? Forget it. 6th gear instantly killed all enthusiasm and sense of urgency.

I know others out there have tracked their Nomads. What's it like?
:vroom:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 am

The Americans not keeping you busy last night ?

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 am

;D

They are cretins...

TBev

Post by TBev » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Karl,

yes I have tracked my Nomad 3 times now. 1 at the summer gas, and then twice since at Donnington. It was an absolute dream. I had the 18" wheels with the 08 tyres on it, SC and Ohlins. It compensated for my lack of talent and when I ran out of it, it just went sideways, pointed in the right direction and basically said "go on then" so stamp hard down on the throttle and off it went.
I left mine in road suspension set up and was generally more than quick enough not to be embarrased. It wasnt too far off the Atom pace, just really lacking in the corner speed. I would thouroughly recommend it as it just 4 wheel slides, and if you brake and turn the snap seems very recoverable so. (maybe I wasnt trying hard enough). I will be looking to do another one soon, or early next year if you fancy joining me?
Cheers Simon
Attachments
95F_0720.JPG
95F_0720.JPG (341.59 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm

With 15" wheels with AT tyres, N/A engine and standard suspension, I suspect I'd be left in the pit lane with my winch at the ready :-(

I'm still tempted with a track day at some point, but would hate to be up against more road focussed cars.

Gutted my car wasn't ready in time for SG this year, but would love to have a play on smooth tarmac with other Ariels in the future.

Great to see pics of the Nomad doing us proud on a track Simon!

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:41 pm

BTW - Looks like your left front tyre was doing all the steering through that right-hand bend...

:o

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

I have tracked mine at Donnington.
I wound the Ohlins up using the plastic knob & went up 3 clicks on the Allen keys from my normal fast road setup.after an hour or so, I took the spare wheel off, you could tell the difference immediately .
I went out at lunch time without a passenger & the car lifts the inside front wheel in corners, but not quite with a passenger.
We had the best day on track ever & it taught my son fantastic rear wheel drive control, he was better than me by the end of the day.
Hoping to do another in early December.
Tbh the car is so forgiving, we were just drifting for fun by the end of the day.

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm

I've been to Bedford, Goodwood and Zandvoort. All were great fun and different. The Bedford day was a real trial of the car when it arrived to get a feel. We did it on AT tyres and it was grippy but also would let go very easily. I got some autocross rally tyres then and they are awesome ! Goodwood is a power circuit and it was a supercar day and so it was hard not to get overtaken but we held our own. Zandvoort with the Lotus club was great and tbh we overtook alot of cars. I dont think I have really got near the cars track limits. I have Bilstein adjustables and I just firmed them up which worked well.
I am pretty sure on your run of the mill trackday the NA car would still do well - but also bear in mind it really isnt a race and its just the fun of pushing the car in a safe environment (no we all hate being slowest though !!).
A few pics:
nomad track tyre.jpeg
nomad track tyre.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3046 times
nomad goodwood1.jpeg
nomad goodwood1.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 3046 times
nomad goodwood 2.jpeg
nomad goodwood 2.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 3046 times
Nomad Bedford 2.jpg
Nomad Bedford 2.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 3052 times
Nomad Bedford 1.jpg
Nomad Bedford 1.jpg (502.04 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

Lighty