Recording a route off road

The place to discuss all off-road technical settings and setups
Karl V

Recording a route off road

Post by Karl V » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:15 pm

In just over a week, 5 of us are being taken on a guided tour of Salisbury Plains.

The plan is to learn a bit more about where we can /can't go before encountering tanks, and to suss out the best areas to play; for future playdates.

Question: what is the best way to record where we end up? My TomTom has a route record feature for this purpose, but of course gives up once off the tarmac.

The Google Maps timeline thing only records a position every 15 minutes or so (I think) and assumes straight lines between waypoints. Not wholly accurate, but creepy enough to work out if I was walking, jogging or driving.

Anyone know of an app that could record a more precise route off-road?

It's gonna be a whole day affair, so need either about 8 hours of hoonage recording or an easy way to punch a button and record a GPS coordinate.

Ta.

richgoflow

Re: Recording a route off road

Post by richgoflow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

I use ViewRanger, free if you don’t want to see proper OS maps, can record and share tracks as GPX. Includes buddy beacons so you can track you mates, doesn’t need a phone signal to work and isn’t a battery hog.

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Can you not borrow a Wahoo or Garmin device from a fellow cyclist? My Wahoo Bolt would easily record for 8+ hours and then allow you to export a gpx track. There are a load of free apps you could use on an iPhone (ridewithGPS, Strava, Wahoo etc) but you'd need an additional power pack or plug into the car.

Namastebuzz

Post by Namastebuzz » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 am

I'd just use Strava on my phone seeing as I use it for mountain biking anyway.

Mind you, my phone lasts 4-5 days without charging and is waterproof\bash proof. Ideal for a Nomad!

Nomad9

Post by Nomad9 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 pm

Hi Karl, Did you do the tour? Did you glean much useful information? Be good to share any insights.
Cheers, Richard