Fitting your own winch

RigidCollosion

Fitting your own winch

Post by RigidCollosion » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:38 pm

I finally got round to fitting a winch to my Nomad. I'm heading off to pastures foreign next year (Covid permitting) and would like the opportunity of self recovery if the need arises.

It is surprisingly easy once you do the due dilligence. Steve gave me the wiring diagram which was helpful, although one is included with the Warn winch.

The location of the Warn solanoid is a bit fiddly.
Nomad-relay-placement-1.jpg
Nomad-relay-placement-1.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 348 times
Cutting off most of the connections to the Warn remote reciever is a little daunting but the resulting wiring is so simple it is untrue.
IMG_6094.jpg
IMG_6094.jpg (4.62 MiB) Viewed 348 times

There is a handy 'Suerseal' ignition fed power take off plug behind the steering wheel on the loom. The positive and negative from the Warn remote control reciever goes there whilst the green and black wires go to the relay.
Add a positive and negative from the battery and run the cables to the winch and you are done.
I am a complete pedant and dry fitted everything before cutting cables and making a true custom fit.

I ditched the PVC covered cheap cables from Warn and used 8agw cable with silicone insulation to run from the battery to the relay and then from the relay to the winch. This is mainly because the winch cables go near the radiator. Silicone is good to 200c+ so they should be good! A lot of fittings and all the nuts and bolts that came as standard from Warn went in the bin. Swapped everything for A2 stainless steel.

As you can see I have finished the loom with cable sheathing and where cables run in exposed areas (under body) I have doubled up with split cable duct (the same as the factory use).

I didn't bother fitting the dash mounted rocker switch. What is the point of a dash switch AND a remote switch? The remote is kept in the cubby box away from curious passers-by and button pushers!
It really doesn't need the rocker switch, just the remote (with two spare batteries stached away just in case).

Anyone interested in more details, let me know.

HenryJS

Re: Fitting your own winch

Post by HenryJS » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Glad youve got it fitted up no trouble!

I would recommend (now this is a personal opinion) that you ditch the remote control and mount up that rocker switch.

I have a lot of experience winching (i actually compete in winch events!) and i believe the remote control is VERY dangerous. the rocker switch means you have to be in the car and in control of it at all times. The remote gives you the opportunity to be outside the car while winching, and not in the driving seat...

just think, maybe you might winch out of a situation and there is a downhill slope after you are recovered - the car will run away from you (as it will be in neutral, Hnandbrake off..) and you might lose your pride and joy.

ALWAYS be sat in the driving seat when using the winch, with the engine on, using the rear wheels to assist the winch and the brakes where required.
When you have recovered yourself - dont be tempted to drive over the top of your rope as if you get it tangled in a driveshaft, thats two hours untangling gone!

Also - if you are recovering other people, also remind them not to drive over your rope... as the same thing will happen and youll be the one clearing it up!

Also - dont forget your winch isolator switch :) (the little blue lit up button in a Nomad!)

Happy winching! (and post some pics and vids!)

RigidCollosion

Post by RigidCollosion » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi,
Good advice. I have no experience of winching (done it once!). I went with remote only because it's the more flexible option. If I was mud plugging and winching regularly then I would set up the switch for sure and I have made provision on the loom to add the dash switch at any point.
This has been set up as a 'get out of jail because you have been a total idiot' card. If I'm abroad I'd like at least an option of self rescue. In all honesty the winch will probably never see the light of day, but then again, neither should the jack but we carry one of those and a spare wheel.

Have fun!

Spencer

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:42 am

the get out of jail card is a good approach to have for winching haha!

Enjoy! And if you need more help / advice - let us know!