Cleaning tips

Karl V

Cleaning tips

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Apparently my Nomad isn't mud coloured. Bit of a shock, but nice to see a bit of daylight reflecting off the glossy frame.

Anywho... [mention]HenryJS[/mention] shared a tip with me not so long ago: give the car a wipe down with WD40. It helps clean and protect.

I have to say, I'm impressed!

The traffic-cone-material panels come up a treat and seem to hold their lustre a lot longer than the AutoGlym plastic polisher stuff. The bodywork sparkles. And best of all, WD being a Water Displacement fluid has - so far - done a great job of repelling muck from the daily school run.

I still use wet wipes for a zorst tip polish, but have now converted to a WD40 wipe for the weekly 'festival wash'.

Plus it smells very manly. Not in a Brut-33 or Old Spice way, but in a man cave kinda way.

Anyone else got any top tips for cleaning or protecting? And if anyone mentions PPF, you'll be demoted to 'garage queen' ;)

Anon

Re: Cleaning tips

Post by Anon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Wet wipes! :roflp:

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:19 pm

The reason I laugh is because I tried it! and it works. Take a wet wipe and wipe the inner part of the exhaust and it removes all the black post flame stains.

I just use Chemical Guys detailer sprays - gloss and matt. As I have had PPF :tu: fitted to the screen it makes cleaning the screen a breeze with the Chemical Guys cloth.

One tip, make sure you use a soft micro fibre cloth cleaning the plastics. The coating will mark easily and needs to be buffed back to goodness otherwise.

For the wheels I use fall out remover by Gtechniq - it saves the need to scrub them.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks, but I'm more interested in 'proper cleaning'.

Any tips for getting clay out of your radiator? Or horse shite out of your tub?

Squashed bugs and brake dust is the least of Nomad owner's problems.

And... You mentioned PPF. Just saying...

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm

A hot washer is effective. I run a diesel karcher.

As for the WD40, well in the true spirit of liberal application I have a 10litre weed sprayer thingy... With @8litres of WD40 in it.....

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:05 am

Blimey, those diesel powered hot pressure washers look like monster machines.

Bit of a different league from wet wipes.