Question on suspension set up

marcusjames

Question on suspension set up

Post by marcusjames » Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 pm

A friend recently sent me a dash cam video from a drive out and I’m surprised at the lean angle of my Nomad. I feel some of it from the driver’s seat but taken aback by the video.

The factory set the car up in road spec but I’d really like it to be harder than this. It’s running Fox.

Is there a guide to adjusting?

Thanks
CE4975B8-FBC8-464D-80AF-F6445B2D87D3.png
CE4975B8-FBC8-464D-80AF-F6445B2D87D3.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 584 times

Karl V

Re: Question on suspension set up

Post by Karl V » Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Marcus.

Did you have a play since your previous post on this?

I posted some results of my tinkering here, but this was mainly the 3 damper settings (High Speed compression, Low Speed compression and Rebound). From your last post, it sounded like changing the locking rings to reduce the top spring was the suggested course of action. I've never tried this and have only increased suspension travel, but the process is similar.

Maybe firming up the low speed compression and rebound is a first step - if you haven't tried this already. With maybe slightly higher tyres pressures?

FWIW - the angle seems quite normal. Assuming your car wasn't at a stand still of course ;)

reg

Post by reg » Mon May 25, 2020 3:52 pm

What are you trying to achieve with the settings...what don't you like?

I have spent a while on my own setup (not Nomad) but it's similarly adjustable.

Broadly;

Too much roll = increase low speed damping
Too harsh = reduce high speed damping
Choppy = reduce rebound

Adjust one thing at a time, by a few clicks only and see how it feels.

marcusjames

Post by marcusjames » Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for replies.

I guess I am trying to reduce the lean. I was planning to take it on track just to try it out in anger. I know the tyres will way fairly quickly but want to take out some of the lean into corners.

On the Fox suspension, do I need to unscrew the middle to adjust the low speed compression? I'm not sure if that's just a retaining screw or whether it will adjust something.

Thanks

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Marcus,

I don't have my car to hand at the minute, but using pictures from the interweb...

The High Speed and Low Speed compression adjusters are here (in red):

image.png
image.png (305.13 KiB) Viewed 513 times
This adjusts the Low Speed (centre screw adjustable with a screwdriver) and High Speed via the outer nut (adjustable with a 17mm spanner).

From memory, it is clearly marked on the shock itself, but looking at other Fox suspension components, I reckon this is pretty accurate (from memory):

image.png
image.png (70.65 KiB) Viewed 513 times
The rebound adjuster is a red knob at the bottom of the shock by the wheel - again, from memory, it is clearly marked.

All adjusters should also say which way to turn to firm / soften.

I started my little adventure by counting the clicks to fully firm and making a note, then - as Reg said - made small changes bit at a time and did a test run. Of course, the front and rear will be set differently, so make sure to count the clicks at each end so that you can 'factory reset' if need be ;-)

With any luck, I should have the car back in the next week or so, so if I can take some close up pics then if still needed.

marcusjames

Post by marcusjames » Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

That's my Saturday morning sorted.

marcusjames

Post by marcusjames » Sat May 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Made a start on adjusting the low speed compression this morning but didn't get too far. I've read comments about adjusting by x number of "clicks". I was surprised that the screw made no noticeable click and is free-flowing tight and loose. Is there a reference about how many degrees I should turn the screw?

Thanks

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Something doesn’t sound right to me.

First, forget a click sound, they don’t all/really do that... but you should at least be able to feel something akin to indents, as you slowly turn, ie resistance builds up then quickly releases... rinse and repeat.

My biggest problem fwiw is working out which was was clockwise, as that depends on which side you’re looking from vs the instructions were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 am

As Phil says the click is the feeling not really as sound as the adjuster clicks into place. Make sure you have the car on the ground when adjusting the suspension as I have found on some shocks the click is more noticeable with the suspension loaded.

marcusjames

Post by marcusjames » Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks for the replies.

Am I right in thinking that the low speed adjust is just the screw though? The silver bolt behind has LSC printed on it but not sure if it refers to the screw or actual bolt (hope that makes some sense!).

If it's the screw, do you know an approximate number of degrees for each "click"? Am I aiming for a full 360 turn for a click or just a few degrees?
Nomad suspension.jpeg
Nomad suspension.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 419 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun May 31, 2020 9:34 am

Yes, the screw is the Low Speed.

Again, from memory, I was getting about 6 clicks per full 360 turn. The clicks on mine were not as defined as the outer ring (High Speed), but I could definitely feel them and it didn't just 'free spin'.

Are all 4 shocks acting the same way?

I wish I had my Nomad back so that I could take some videos :-(