Brake fluid change.

Lighty

Brake fluid change.

Post by Lighty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Ok, so this is not a “How to do it thread” , but I took a few pictures & can explain that it is not an easy job.
The brake pedal travel has been getting longer for a while now, probably after the track days from memory.
Anyway the car is 3 yrs old now & it should usually be replaced every two years, so we thought it worth a try as it was impossible to heal & toe anymore due to the pedal travel.
1st off, you need to lift up the dashboard lid.
This is a pita , as the mirrors have to be removed. For my car this means cutting all the cable ties on the side panels & tacking them off.
This is a 45 min job on its own.
After this, you remove an Allen key nut & bolt, close to the mirror, & two Allen keys, one in the top centre of the dash & one under the dash.
At this point you have to disconnect a few wiring plugs under the dash, to allow it to move enough to reveal the two reservoirs.
image.png
image.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Lighty

Re: Brake fluid change.

Post by Lighty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:55 pm

My Nomad has two reservoirs & two brake master cylinders.
This is because I have the front to rear brake bias adjuster, which through a very simple lever mechanism, changes the pressure from front to rear.
image.png
image.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:02 pm

Unfortunately. My pressure brake bleeder doesn’t have a cap to fit the Nomad reservoir, so we had to bleed it manually.
We flushed about 700cc of fluid through the system.
image.png
image.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 206 times
Two bleed nipples on each Caliper
image.png
image.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Helpful assistant required to pump the pedal.
image.png
image.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 206 times
image.png
image.png (2 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Lighty

Post by Lighty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Finally reassembled the whole car, took about 3 hours in total including remove & refitting my sidepanels, which takes forever.
Main thing is, I am pleased to report that the brakes are amazing now !
Pedal is totally firm now & the heel & toe ability has returned.
Well worth the effort.

Worth checking the wing mirror indicator plugs , mine had a tiny bit of corrosion, so a quick blast of penetrating fluid should help prevent this .
image.png
image.png (2.09 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Nice write up!

:tu: