Steering wheel - bald patches

phil4

Steering wheel - bald patches

Post by phil4 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:18 am

I noticed the other day that my steering wheel had, I thought started going bald, with the normal Alcantara fuzz worn off over a good portion of the wheel.

I had similar with my previous Atom.

I was just about to drop Ariel an email, when I stumbled across a suggestion, which worked very well. It seems the wheel isn't bald... it just needs cleaning. My method last night was 5-10 minutes of rubbing it with a damp microfiber cloth. I won't say it's "as good as new", but it's certainly not bald, and a heck of a lot better.

I'm sure there are some cleaning products out there that help, but a damp microfiber certainly works wonders to start with.

Peter255

Re: Steering wheel - bald patches

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:44 am

Phil,

You probably know this already but for reference for others:

It is usually the natural oil / grease from your hands that smoothes off the wheel texture as you describe. If you wear driving gloves it prevents this, and makes the wheel lasts years without this problem. It also offers the best grip of the wheel and keeps your hands warm! With a Nomad and screen gloves are less essential (due to less wind on your hands), but still helpful. Some Alpinestars race gloves are the biz for this scenario IMO.

I wouldn't recommend string back leather gloves though. Far too Partridge! ;)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:50 am

Spot on!

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:25 am

I was about to say the same thing. I see a lot of second hand Atoms with what looks like bald steering wheels - using gloves that have the same type of material i.e. racing gloves will ensure the wheel looks its best for years.

+1 on Alpinestars I have a pair and they are excellent. We should have a section on this gear that includes helmets and what to look for etc to help decision processes.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:44 am

I also use a suede shoe cleaning brush from time to time (the soft rubber bristles, not the metal scrubbing part).

Works well too...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 am

I had the same on my C63S Amg merc - but a bit of a rub with a damp microfibre did wonders - as you say, im sure you can use various products to sort better but it does seem to work.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Peter255 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:44 am If you wear driving gloves it prevents this, and makes the wheel lasts years without this problem.
My gloves have knobbly grips on them that also help 'brush' the suede/alcantara as you drive. Two birds one stone...